• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI Lenin is assassinated in 1918?

varyar

giver of existential dread
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
I'm reading Antony Beevor's history of the Russian Revolution and Civil War, and just got to where Fanya Kaplan tried to assassinate Lenin without any success. But what if she had managed to kill him? I can't imagine this results in a White victory, but it might delay their defeat a little perhaps. More importantly, how does the succession among the Bolsheviks play out in 1918? Would Stalin still come out on top at that earlier date?

I'm reading Antony Beevor's history of the Russian Revolution and Civil War, and just got to where Fanya Kaplan tried to assassinate Lenin without any success. But what if she had managed to kill him? I can't imagine this results in a White victory, but it might delay their defeat a little perhaps. More importantly, how does the succession among the Bolsheviks play out in 1918? Would Stalin still come out on top at that earlier date?
Yakov Sverdlov would probably become brief leader (which probably butterflies his death a bit) and whilst Stalin could certainly become leader, he would probably be constrained by having to keep the party balanced as it fights the White Army and that would also likely see a Troika emerge which could see Stalin shuffled aside in time in favour of Sverdlov or Zinoviev, who would probably gain more prominence due to there connections with Lenin etc.

I will also give a call out to @Nyvis given she’s discussed the trials of Pre-Stalin Soviet Union before.

I'm far from an expert honestly.

I really doubt Stalin wins in 1918. His later win was based on a slow creeping control of the party bureaucracy while pitting his enemies against each other. The party right and left divide isn't ready, he himself isn't positioned in the middle of it, and he's not a a great prospect for a revolutionary war leader.

Trotsky probably doesn't get a chance because of the fears of bonapartism, even if he's at the forefront of the revolution side of things.

Bukharin is, as ever, likely to be too nice to end up on top, though his opinion is likely to be relevant. Bear in mind he's not a stalwart of the party right quite yet. He was a big proponent of war communism early on.

Sverdlov or Zinoviev are good stable picks everyone could rally behind because they don't have big controversial stances, which means the party would keep being where things are debated under them. Probably the best option for that reason, but not a final conclusion.

Bukharin is, as ever, likely to be too nice to end up on top, though his opinion is likely to be relevant. Bear in mind he's not a stalwart of the party right quite yet. He was a big proponent of war communism early on.

Sverdlov or Zinoviev are good stable picks everyone could rally behind because they don't have big controversial stances, which means the party would keep being where things are debated under them. Probably the best option for that reason, but not a final conclusion.
Bukharian I always see as more of man who would work better in a Troika or being the Soviet equivalent of Chancellor per say.

With Sverdlov or Zinoviev in charge for the Civil War, I would guess it’s still a Soviet Victory and there stable presence probably guides the Soviets afterwards.

Amusingly I could see this as a scenario where with Stalin sidelined, I could see a more charismatic figure like Sergei Kirov eventually emerging as Soviet leader in time due to his combination of being a war hero, charismatic and also being good at playing the political side of things better (his budding up with Stalin and denouncing the Right Opposition seems to be a combination of him disliking there policies on Collectivisation but also because it made sense to be friendly with the General Secretary).

Bukharian I always see as more of man who would work better in a Troika or being the Soviet equivalent of Chancellor per say.

With Sverdlov or Zinoviev in charge for the Civil War, I would guess it’s still a Soviet Victory and there stable presence probably guides the Soviets afterwards.

Amusingly I could see this as a scenario where with Stalin sidelined, I could see a more charismatic figure like Sergei Kirov eventually emerging as Soviet leader in time due to his combination of being a war hero, charismatic and also being good at playing the political side of things better (his budding up with Stalin and denouncing the Right Opposition seems to be a combination of him disliking there policies on Collectivisation but also because it made sense to be friendly with the General Secretary).

If you go with Sverdlov, one of the interesting developments is that his position is at the head of the central executive committee, which derives authority from the soviets rather than the party, at least nominally. I wonder if that would endure past his death or if power would still drift to party organs. It doesn't really change who's in charge considering the high degree of coupling between the two, but it could change how the bureaucracy is expanded later on and what its chain of command is.

Back