• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

WI: Clinton is Assassinated in Manila in 1996

TheKennedyMachine

Pronouns
she/her
From Wikipedia: "In 1996, during a visit to the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum in Manila, Clinton's motorcade was rerouted before it was to drive over a bridge. Service officers had intercepted a message suggesting that an attack was imminent, and Lewis Merletti, the director of the Secret Service, ordered the motorcade to be re-routed. An intelligence team later discovered a bomb under the bridge. Subsequent U.S. investigation "revealed that [the plot] was masterminded by a Saudi terrorist living in Afghanistan named Osama bin Laden".

So, what if — Merletti’s order failed to be received? And Clinton was killed?

How would do this disrupt the latter half of the 90s/early 2000s-onwards in a world where The War on Terror begins 5 years earlier?

Failure to maintain a civil environment for posting.
i probably hang a picture of bin laden in my room ittl other than that i can’t imagine much changing

Technicalities-wise, there’s a big lawsuit from some Gingrich-adjacent AG in a Clinton-won state who insists that the penalties have to be enforced for any electors who vote for the new Democratic ticket of Gore/someone. The SC strikes it down, allowing electors to vote for the new Dem ticket unless in state laws expressly state that electors have to vote for people on the ballot (which eliminates at minimum Michigan from the Democratic tally). Gore most likely wins the subsequent electoral college vote with 360+ EV, the rest of the Clinton delegates go to home-state senators and governors, Ross Perot and the like via faithless votes.

Gore for his part likely wins re-election. The war on terror starts much earlier but will likely be restricted to enthusiastic US aid to anti-Taliban groups and US raids on Al-Qaeda strongholds. Maybe enough PODs to delay the Great Recession, butterfly Obama’s career (maybe Obama ends up in the House?), etc.

This TL could also see President Hillary, if she moves back to Arkansas or Illinois (becoming the great Obama-butterflier) to run for office.

i probably hang a picture of bin laden in my room ittl other than that i can’t imagine much changing

MODERATOR POST

There has been an ongoing pattern of rapidly escalated hostility toward other posters, and overly edgy behavior elsewhere in different parts of the board. This pattern has become a significant problem and has degraded the civil environment in ways across the board. This has crossed a line, and you are kicked for a week.

I would ask you to endeavor to dial down both tendencies and reduce this pattern so as to remain in line with Rule One in the future.

Thank you.

I've had a TL about this perpetually in the works.

Gore serves as president from 1996 to 2005, becoming the second-longest holder of the office. There's no Iraq War, but the US becomes bogged down in Afghanistan.

Vice President Quayle returns from the wilderness to run for Governor of Indiana, and reborn as a quasi-Buchananite, he makes the right-wing case for abandoning Gore's Wars. This allows him to pull together a coalition broad enough to win him the White House in 2004, and again in 2008.

The widowed Hillary Clinton returns to her home state of Illinois and defeats Jack Ryan to win the Class III Senate Seat. After being re-elected in an unfavorable midterm for President Quayle, Hillary embarks on a successful campaign for president.

Back