• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

What if the Atlantic Slave Trade had ended early?

Gary Oswald

It was Vampire Unions that got us Vampire Weekend
Published by SLP
Gone Fishing
Pronouns
he/him
Discuss this article here.

Full disclaimer, Steve messaged me and Jeff a few weeks back with this idea and asked for help expanding it, so while everything after the divider is Steve and Jeff, the bit before the divider (the otl bit) is partly me and is partly directly copy and pasted from previous articles by me. So research errors should be blamed on me and not Steve and Jeff.

Also little note that there will be five articles this week, not 3, so come back tomorrow. This is however a one off and not a permanent change.

One of those PODs that objectively improves things for humanity (as even things that may be grim like the indentured servitude is still less monstrous than chattel slavery)

This is the sort of scenario I sort of wish was more plausible than it probably is.

My suspicion is that if you managed to get a sort of 'rolling all sixes' result and an actual proper ban on enslaving Christian Africans is enforced by the Pope, you'd see a twin situation of an earlier 'Tippu Tip' sort of situation where somebody goes deeper into the Congo for slave trading, and more of a switch to West Africa.

On the other hand, that still means a large chunk of the Continent is off-limits.

This is the sort of scenario I sort of wish was more plausible than it probably is.

My suspicion is that if you managed to get a sort of 'rolling all sixes' result and an actual proper ban on enslaving Christian Africans is enforced by the Pope, you'd see a twin situation of an earlier 'Tippu Tip' sort of situation where somebody goes deeper into the Congo for slave trading, and more of a switch to West Africa.

On the other hand, that still means a large chunk of the Continent is off-limits.
It's also reliant on the continuing existence of a large and stable Catholic Kongolese state. How long does it have to stay up for the ban to stick in a civil war scenario?

But assuming that it does, having such a state stick around would have some interesting cultural ramifications - I'm thinking of the place Abyssinia/Ethiopia has in stuff like Rastafarianism (even if the Rastafaris aren't as likely to exist in a scenario with a much smaller African slave trade).

One of those PODs that objectively improves things for humanity (as even things that may be grim like the indentured servitude is still less monstrous than chattel slavery)
That ties in with the challenge I posted the other day, about coming up with a way for East Indian indentured labour to replace African chattel slavery in the Americas. In this case as well, Portugal could get the ball rolling thanks to its early trade routes to South Asia, followed later on by other European powers.

Which we already tagged into the tweet. I think Tom was just worried that that was a joint account and we should also tag you into an individual twitter but I think that's not the case, so what we're doing is fine.

Thanks again for letting us use your articles.

Which we already tagged into the tweet. I think Tom was just worried that that was a joint account and we should also tag you into an individual twitter but I think that's not the case, so what we're doing is fine.

Thanks again for letting us use your articles.
No worries sir I am keen to capture the comments and develop a fuller understanding of history from different perspectives

Felt the combined sections made this essay flow well. The switch in author voices was not jarring and the actual divergences hit a lot better having the context in which they could have happened laid out.

A better history, but one with a few asterisks since I could easily picture "Thou must not enslave Christians" as just diverting slavers to non-Christian peoples, whether in Africa or elsewhere. Similarly, these indentured service contracts are open to Christians and likely just as open to abuse.

The greatest atrocity has been avoided, but there might easily be dozens of smaller ones in its place. The timeline half full, or at least half fuller.

Felt the combined sections made this essay flow well. The switch in author voices was not jarring and the actual divergences hit a lot better having the context in which they could have happened laid out.

A better history, but one with a few asterisks since I could easily picture "Thou must not enslave Christians" as just diverting slavers to non-Christian peoples, whether in Africa or elsewhere. Similarly, these indentured service contracts are open to Christians and likely just as open to abuse.

The greatest atrocity has been avoided, but there might easily be dozens of smaller ones in its place. The timeline half full, or at least half fuller.

One thing I can see being a big thing in this sort of world is 'Pan-Africanism' being seen as somewhere between 'Pan-European' (naïve) idealism and 'Pan Caucasian' 'ooh bit dodgy mate'- as opposed to being a thing that had a wide cultural cachet but couldn't be converted well into a long term project.

Partially because a world where Africa has, presumably, multiple different cultural centres will have less of a 'unite to gain freedom' idea, and partially because there's likely to be some very ingrained rivalries based on who won out in this period.

Yes, my thoughts were similar. I think honestly the economic motives are such that an earlier full shift to Benin/Ghana/Nigeria is far more likely than moving past slavery entirely.

But the less optimistic version where the trade from Angola and central Africa is much lower but the overall amount of slaves remains broadly constant would still be hugely significant.

It's also reliant on the continuing existence of a large and stable Catholic Kongolese state. How long does it have to stay up for the ban to stick in a civil war scenario?

But assuming that it does, having such a state stick around would have some interesting cultural ramifications - I'm thinking of the place Abyssinia/Ethiopia has in stuff like Rastafarianism (even if the Rastafaris aren't as likely to exist in a scenario with a much smaller African slave trade).
Well it kind of stuck around in OTL but yes civil wars and foreign conquest meant it had a much reduced authority, this timeline would have to avoid that and that would be significant.

Honestly the culture wars if Christian Africans were increasingly powerful in africa but also purely in the seller and not victim role would be really vicious, and could really push the slaves towards a faith more like vodou and a much grimmer view of the home continent. A lot depends on if Christian converts being free becomes a thing in the new world which is I think a lot harder to get, then them not being sold, especially in the protestant colonies.

Also if you look at Islamic Africa, where such laws did exist, they were so often bent and people defined as not muslim to suit. The Mahdists saying they could enslave the turks as they were so heretic as to not be muslims for instance.

I'd suspect similar stuff here.

If I was to write a story in this world, it'd probably be a 'heretic' strain of christianity emerging in the Kongo like the Antonianism that emerged there in 1704 in otl (which among other things claimed that jesus was a black slave) and the argument over whether they counted as christians during the period where the slave trade is dying but not quite yet dead.
One thing I can see being a big thing in this sort of world is 'Pan-Africanism' being seen as somewhere between 'Pan-European' (naïve) idealism and 'Pan Caucasian' 'ooh bit dodgy mate'- as opposed to being a thing that had a wide cultural cachet but couldn't be converted well into a long term project.

Partially because a world where Africa has, presumably, multiple different cultural centres will have less of a 'unite to gain freedom' idea, and partially because there's likely to be some very ingrained rivalries based on who won out in this period.
I think African identity would be so different in this world, it's basically incomparable.

If I was to write a story in this world, it'd probably be a 'heretic' strain of christianity emerging in the Kongo like the Antonianism that emerged there in 1704 in otl (which among other things claimed that jesus was a black slave) and the argument over whether they counted as christians during the period where the slave trade is dying but not quite yet dead.

I can legitimately see a weird inversion of the things that happened in the Middle East where one branch of the Catholic Church in the Kongo ends up schisming and eventually ends up in Communion with the Coptic or Ethiopian Orthodox churches.

Back