• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

What happens to Australia if transportation continues to British North America?

IanBertram

Published by SLP
Transportation to Australia, began as an alternative to North America once that option became unavailable. In a world where Britain somehow retains all or even most of British North America, as here for example, what are the implications for Australia?

Does Britain lose interest? Would other European powers try to get a foothold? Perhaps even a modernising Japan?

How would New Zealand develop?

The Dutch seem the obvious ones to also have an interest early on, but idk how true that would be.
France and Germany also had interests in the Pacific but I think mainly later?

Obligatory reminder that the British colonisation of Australia was not purely as a dumping ground for convicts. It was also established to be a naval base to project power into the South Pacific and to resupply vessels in the area. That reason still exists even if no convicts are ever sent there, as does the sense of competition with France which meant that Britain planted a colony on any part of Australia where the French showed an interest. (And also in New Zealand, for the same reason). The odds are high, though not absolute, that Britain will plant some sort of colony anyway, though the nature of that colony would be different.

In terms of other players, the Dutch knew where Australia was since the early 1600s, and never showed any interest in colonising. I think they can be safely ruled out. The French were exploring the South Pacific repeatedly during that period (Bouganville, Dufresne, La Pérouse, Baudin, etc), and made some claims, though how seriously they would have followed up on those claims I have no idea - though the British certainly believed they were serious and tried to stop them. Germany wasn't seriously interested until much later.

As far as I can see, free settlers and convicts arrived in very roughly the same numbers up to the middle of the 19th century. Without transportation the development of the country would have been very different.

As far as I can see, free settlers and convicts arrived in very roughly the same numbers up to the middle of the 19th century. Without transportation the development of the country would have been very different.
From what you just said, sounds like 50% less development.

Yes, but transportees provided much of the labour force involved in opening up the country to European farming and settlement. Without that free labour force what would happen?

Yes, but transportees provided much of the labour force involved in opening up the country to European farming and settlement. Without that free labour force what would happen?
The flip side of that is being known as a convict destination deterred migration of free labour, particularly in the early years. It took a lot of effort to persuade free settlers to come to New South Wales in the first few decades because, well, convicts. Some of the colonies were set up without ever using convicts (South Australia) or with mostly free labour (Victoria), though in one case they tried to set up free labour and ended up using convicts (Western Australia).

The wild card is the discovery of gold in Victoria, which could have happened much earlier (if the first settlement of Port Philip Bay hadn't been delayed by decades due to the first Europeans completing failing to find the fresh water) or much later (if free labour didn't colonise the Victorian hinterland due to fewer migrants). The gold rush, more than anything, was what led to a boom in Australia's colonising population.

I don't think transportation to America could continue indefinitely. Eventually, the British will either have to grant responsible government to the colonies or be thrown out by a revolt.

I don't think transportation to America could continue indefinitely. Eventually, the British will either have to grant responsible government to the colonies or be thrown out by a revolt.
It could just get limited to isolated parts of the colonies if the colonial governments protest (in LTTW I used Newfoundland and, less realistically perhaps, modern OTL Michigan).

Back