• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Westminster with Proportional Representation. Part 2

Well that election is an unholy mess - but the Lib/Lab pact bringing in national STV is a pretty good outcome from it even if they did have to use the Parliament Act to do it.

The 1923 election was pretty messy in OTL, to be fair. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_United_Kingdom_general_election

800px-1923_UK_general_election_map.svg.png

And a shedload of those seats were pretty knife-edge, anyway.
It wouldn't take much to shift the 1923 election significantly - it'd be an ideal PoD for many political timelines.
The (mild) surprise for me was how little changed Labour were in 1923 - they went from 191 seats IOTL to 189 seats in this TL. The big shift was Tory--> Lib.

(And in 1918, the Coalition Liberals were all-but unchanged, going from 127 seats IOTL to 126 in this TL. The Asquith Liberals got 33 more seats that year, and Labour got 26 more, primarily at the Tory cost (they won 55 fewer seats that year, and 56 fewer in 1923). Slightly surprisingly, we had less diversity in the Commons in this ATL, losing one Scottish Prohibitionist (Edwin Scrymgeour losing Dundee's second seat to the Liberal John Pratt on transfers), one Christian Pacifist (George Maitland Lloyd Davies losing the University of Wales seat to Liberal Joseph Jones on transfers from the eliminated Independent Liberal) and one Independent Liberal (in Cardiganshire, as Rhys Hopkin Morris didn't have to stand against the main Liberal Party to express dissatisfaction with Lloyd George))

Looking forward to the next chapter. Wondering how far the time skip is going to be, since I equally want to see what this electoral reform hath wrought during the Depression, World War II, and after a century.

If you want, I'll tell you, but in a spoiler just in case people want the surprise:

The next one starts at the General Election of February 2020.
There's a bit of "As you know, Bob," but there's also a quick rundown of some of the parties and allusions to what has happened in the intervening time.

If you want, I'll tell you, but in a spoiler just in case people want the surprise:

The next one starts at the General Election of February 2020.
There's a bit of "As you know, Bob," but there's also a quick rundown of some of the parties and allusions to what has happened in the intervening time.

I look forward to it. I've really enjoyed this series

Back