• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Volpe instead of Agnew

Ricardolindo

What if Richard Nixon picked John Volpe instead of Spiro Agnew for running mate in 1968? If Watergate still happened, could he win the
Republican nomination in 1976 and, if so, could he win the election?

Ford was never elected v p. In the first place in the eyes of some he was not legitimate. Reagan also challenged Ford in the primaries and this may of hurt his chance and getting a legitimate term of his own. Maybe if Volpe makes Reagan v.p . This could keep conservative Republicans on his side ,after 8 years a Democrat mict still win.

Volpe was still pretty conservative, right? Would be interesting if he wins 1976. It's usually treated as a poisoned chalice but I wonder if that's necessarily the case. It seems like Carter just particularly handled that term poorly. Even with inflation and his general inability to manage a coalition, Carter mostly kept himself afloat in the polls until Eagle Claw. So maybe even with Volpe, you can get a narrow Republican victory in 1980.

Volpe was still pretty conservative, right? Would be interesting if he wins 1976. It's usually treated as a poisoned chalice but I wonder if that's necessarily the case. It seems like Carter just particularly handled that term poorly. Even with inflation and his general inability to manage a coalition, Carter mostly kept himself afloat in the polls until Eagle Claw. So maybe even with Volpe, you can get a narrow Republican victory in 1980.

I haven't found much about Volpe's position within the party.
While I think Carter made the situation worse, whoever won in 1976 would still face the recession, the Iranian Revolution, the energy crisis and the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. In addition, there would be party fatigue after 12 years of Republicans.

Back