• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Unified India

Assuming a PoD in the late 20s or early 30s

On that note, there are really a lot of PODs to get a united India. Perhaps the cleanest way is to make the Montagu-Chelmsford Reforms part of a gradual and wholly peaceful transfer of power from the British to the natives. IOTL, the Government of India Act 1919 was considered a step in the right direction by Congress and resulted in cautious optimism. It turned the Imperial Legislative Council into a parliament broken up into an upper house, the Council of States (predominately appointed but some election), and a lower house, the Central Legislative Assembly (predominately elected but some appointment). Princely states had no elected seats. This system had some oddities, like both houses being led by Presidents who were similar to American Speakers in that they presided over the assemblies but were wholly partisan. Elections were restricted to the upper class. There were plans to revise the act every ten years, presumably expanding liberties every time. However, the Rowlatt Acts clamped down on the newfound Indian liberties and was a cause of the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre. The result was that Congress immediately refused all cooperation with the British and a breakaway faction, the Swaraj Party, entered the Imperial Legislative Council for the sole reason of obstructing legislation and getting home rule recognized. The Swaraj Party won the majority of elections and a Swaraj member even became President of the CLA.

The POD is that there are no Rowlatt Acts and therefore no Jallianwala Bagh massacre, and so Congress runs in the 1920 elections. It would, in any case, sweep the elections and therefore be uniquely posed to pass social reforms. The leader of Congress would become appointed President of the CLA. Conventions begin to set in, as Congress dissuades any attempts by the Viceroy to interfere in legislature, British Parliament begins to accept some Indian legislative independence and the President of the CLA increasingly gets considered the de facto Prime Minister of India. In the "Government of India Act 1929", the electorate is expanded as are the number of seats for election, giving full control of the CLA to Congress and its breakaways. And so on and so forth until by 1949 India is only united with Britain through the person of the monarch and has a fully patriated constitution. TTL's India would have an unwritten constitution, be fairly Anglophilic, and presumably would even keep the Star of India in its national flag (though without the motto). It may or may not be a monarchy, depending on how strong institutional inertia is. It would even have semi-official princes like Indonesia. But this is not only a bit dull and boring, but requires Britain to be reasonable about losing a colony to a degree it wasn't IOTL.

but requires

That's the hard bit.

Maybe WWI goes on for longer and with more colonial troops needed in the end and the British Public ends up broadly sympathetic while the Government are just too weary to try and fight it initially, and then by 1929 India having some powers is treated as the way things are.

Question: what would the name of a unified India be in Hind(ustan)i? I'm given to understand that Hindustan was more commonly used than Bharat prior to independence, and that Jinnah's insistent use of Hindustan over India in reference to the non-Pakistan areas compelled the Constituent Assembly to choose Bharat with very little debate.

I suppose it ultimately depends on where in Jinnah's life the end comes ITTL, but even then the question is open. Hindustan does undoubtedly have the drawback of including "Hindu" (and also being associated with the Hindustani language, which as the Tamils will readily tell you is not exactly the best display of unity), but it's also a name that was brought in by the Persians. Bharat is a Sanskrit word, which has its own advantages and drawbacks, but sounds less obviously divisive.

I'm also given to understand it was genuinely just called India by a fair number of people, but I don't really see that flying.

I think Hindustan is simply too Hindu nationalist a term, it wouldn't fly with a secular Indian nationalism like the one the AIML or the INC would have espoused TTL. Then there's of course the issue of, as you said, southern Indians not being happy at having an 'alien' language imposed on the name of their country. India might still work I suppose in English, anyway. Or you could go towards some compromise-sounding term like All-Indian(s') Federation or something like that.

About the reserved seats, I know that OTL there were proposals for reserved seats for women but these were shot down during the Constituent Assembly. I don't necessarily think that having the Pakistani delegates would change that outcome, but it could be interesting nonetheless.

EDIT: Gandhi's mystical nationalism concerned many Muslim Indians because they saw it (rightly, I'd say) as Hindu mystical nationalism. So eliminating him from the picture could also make a united India a more likely scenario, although it would be very tricky to pull off since it would completely altered a good chunk of the Indian independence struggle.

I’m inclined to think that the Hindustani term would be Hindustan, but the English word would remain India.

I think Hindustan is simply too Hindu nationalist a term, it wouldn't fly with a secular Indian nationalism like the one the AIML or the INC would have espoused TTL.

It’s actually not a Hindu nationalist term, it’s a Persian word. In fact, from what I’ve learned from watching NDTV, some Hindu nationalists object to “Hindustan” because it isn’t a native name. So, Hindu nationalists would be if anything opposed to India being called a Persian name.

EDIT: Gandhi's mystical nationalism concerned many Muslim Indians because they saw it (rightly, I'd say) as Hindu mystical nationalism. So eliminating him from the picture could also make a united India a more likely scenario, although it would be very tricky to pull off since it would completely altered a good chunk of the Indian independence struggle.

I don’t think you need to stop Gandhi’s prominence to keep Muslims on board.

Without him, I suspect you’d get a less grassroots Indian nationalism, and instead one with tactics like the legislative obstructionism used by Motilal Nehru. On the one hand, an old parliamentarian calling for Swaraj in the Legislative Council is a less evocative image than a peaceful group of men and women getting fired upon by redcoats, but on the other hand, Brits would likely view such a movement as more “civilized”. I think such a movement would be less radical than OTL Indian nationalism and definitely wouldn’t be anywhere near as famous as OTL, but perhaps more successful in its more gradual goals. Of course, hunger strikes have a long history in India and Motilal Nehru, as a Kashmiri Pandit, would definitely know about them, so you’re still getting hunger strikes at least.

That's the way I'm leaning as well. I'm unsure what it would be called in Dravidian languages, but then again I'm unsure what it's called IOTL - @rmanoj?
India. At least in Tamil and Malayalam. "Bharatam" is also used formally in Malayalam, but it generally sounds a bit over the top and nobody except maybe some RSS types would say that in casual speech

India. At least in Tamil and Malayalam. "Bharatam" is also used formally in Malayalam, but it generally sounds a bit over the top and nobody except maybe some RSS types would say that in casual speech
Ah. I can probably see that sticking then - it is sort of useful that the area with the strongest regionalist sentiment is the one that speaks languages completely unrelated to either of the national ones. Though obviously there's a chicken and egg question at play.

One thing comes to mind as a possible way to resolve the minority representation issue - proportional representation.

I'm usually the first one to argue against PR as a magic bullet, but one thing it is provably and consistently good at is providing a voice for dispersed minorities. Groups like the scheduled castes, or the Muslims in UP, or the Hindus in Bengal. There are even ready-made federal constituencies for it in the form of the divisions, and for smaller provinces, the provinces themselves. The only issue is that it doesn't seem to have been considered at any stage of the process IOTL - India did after all inherit a very British political culture, coupled with a party system that was basically nonexistent outside the Congress, the Muslim League and a few left-wing groups. It's easy to see why a system that puts party above candidate in a blatant way would be unpalatable, and there's several reasons why STV would be impractical in a country the size of India.

I imagine the problem was very much one a mode of thinking that 'PR=minority party representation' and there just wasn't a single party associated with each minority group.

I imagine the problem was very much one a mode of thinking that 'PR=minority party representation' and there just wasn't a single party associated with each minority group.
Fair cop - Ambedkar was trying to build a Scheduled Castes Federation for most of the 40s and 50s, when he wasn't too busy with the constitution-writing, but AIUI, a) it didn't go great as far as electoral politics went, and b) I don't really see the INC loudly applauding a situation where every social group has one party that caters to it.

Back