• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Write Stuff: Arc de Triomphe - Character Arcs

AndyC

I am not in your tribe
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
Of course, if you mess up a character arc - say, undoing an existing arc with no explanation, or jarringly leap off the arc to somewhere completely different for the character - the reader (or viewer) will feel betrayed.

No reason for saying that, though.
#GameOfThrones.

Alex Richards

Frustrated by Bench Seating
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
Of course, if you mess up a character arc - say, undoing an existing arc with no explanation, or jarringly leap off the arc to somewhere completely different for the character - the reader (or viewer) will feel betrayed.

No reason for saying that, though.
#GameOfThrones.
I've picked up enough to tell this is happening despite never watching it and just reading through a synopsis of last episode.

This is kind of seriously bad writing as a consequence.

Unlike this article.

David Flin

Jekyll and Hyde is the inventor, not the monster.
Which of course leads into the issue of how, in a serial (or is it series? I always get the two confused), a writer can rescue a blunder made in an earlier part of the story.

Obviously, it depends on the situation. Sometimes correcting something brings with it even bigger problems; sometimes a quick fix is possible. There's the old advice that: "If you want to get there, I wouldn't start from here", which is all very well, but if you've got to here, you're rather stuck.

Some issues can be prevented by having a general progression in mind. But, in a first draft, it can pay to be open to changing that. When I first started Six East End Boys, Megan was originally intended as a disposable character, who would have reprised the role played by Kitty, and die before things kicked off. It didn't turn out like that (and begs the rather meta AH question: What If Megan had died instead of Spade? Are we allowed to have an AH of an AH that isn't a DBWI?)

If there's interest, I might take a look at Inter-narrative Rescue. Blunder words are Go.