• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Twenty-Fifth HoS List Challenge

The Twenty-Fifth HoS List Challenge: Second Place

• The Definition of Insanity--CountZingo

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Governer-Protectors of Antartica--Warthog

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Thomas Jefferson's Second Place Victory--Lilitou

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • The Alternative to Voting--Walpurgisnacht

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • The Goat Out of the Wilderness--AH Layard

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • The Devil in the Pyrenees--BClick

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • ...and Forty-Nine Lesser States--Wolfram

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Winning the Popular Vote, Losing the Peace--Mumby

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Side note here but I always find myself slipping into a bit of a character when I'm doing the writeups for these, is that the case for anyone else?

Oh yeah, for sure--it's why I tend to format my writeups as in-universe documents, since it lets me think about who the implict character is more clearly than leaving them as a vague third-person extra-universal narrator.

(pretty sure this is the first time I've done a real world List outside the US; my French is limited so my understanding of this period's a lot shallower than I'd like it to be)

Main thing I'd note is that the CGT did work with the PCF but had its own organization and probably wouldn't just take orders if that didn't suit its interests. It's also worth considering it's split sibling in the CGT-FO, which split over alignment with the soviets and over instructions to avoid strikes when the PCF was in office. Its existence would give the opposition some presence in institutional unions.

It's also worth considering whether the CFDT (the more conservative, historically christian union federation) would manage to reinvent itself. It'd probably align more with the opposition due to distrust of the PCF, which would be an interesting clash with its more conservative base's desire for the law and order the party is promising against the more chaotic opposition.

But honestly great work!

Main thing I'd note is that the CGT did work with the PCF but had its own organization and probably wouldn't just take orders if that didn't suit its interests. It's also worth considering it's split sibling in the CGT-FO, which split over alignment with the soviets and over instructions to avoid strikes when the PCF was in office. Its existence would give the opposition some presence in institutional unions.

It's also worth considering whether the CFDT (the more conservative, historically christian union federation) would manage to reinvent itself. It'd probably align more with the opposition due to distrust of the PCF, which would be an interesting clash with its more conservative base's desire for the law and order the party is promising against the more chaotic opposition.

But honestly great work!

Thanks! The role of the other union federations is one thing I had been curious about actually - from what I understood they were supposed to be more conservative than the CGT but I also saw some sources claiming that they were more open to the wildcat strikes of OTL Mai 68 and more interested in workplace democracy. Is that right or have I been bamboozled? (One of the parties supporting Piaget in the list is supposed to be a Parti democratique des ouvriers representing this tendency.)

Also, do you know of any good sources on the 60s and 70s in France? I can read French (very slowly, lol) but it's difficult to research and look for information in a language I don't know that well.

This is the most stereotypical thing I could make
...And Forty-Nine Lesser States

1965-1973: Nelson Rockefeller (Republican)
1973-1981: Robert Kennedy (Democratic)
1981-1989: Jack Kemp (Republican)
1989-1993: Rudy Giuliani (Democratic)
1993-2001: James A. Baker III (Republican)
2001-2005: Ann Richards (Democratic)
2005-2009: Kay Bailey Hutchison (Republican)
2009-2013: William McRaven (Democratic)
2013-2017: Dan Patrick (Republican)
2017-2021: Julián Castro (Democratic)
2021-: Heidi Nelson (Republican)

Why has California, the nation's largest state since 1963, failed to exercise its voice in the Presidency? Perhaps because of its runners-up. The 'New York ideology' of strong support for civil rights backstopped by an ardent pursuit of 'law and order' and a measured effort to bow to capital without mooning labor defined the late '60s and '70s, but began to fray in the 1980s as inflation rose, protests against police violence spread across the nation, and headlines about America's support of 'dirty wars' in Latin America and Africa dotted the headlines. Kemp tore at the old order by fighting for supply-side economics; Giuliani did it by choosing his side in the culture wars, and in doing so tearing his party apart.

Despite Kemp's SoCal childhood, he did not open any doors for the west coast. Instead, his mantle was taken up by his more pragmatic House counterpart, Jim Baker, who summarily handed the mantle over to one of the few Democrats popular on both sides of the party. The rising power of the Christian Right meant that her Republican opposite number could never do the same, but neither could the military chieftain who succeeded Richards, nor the shock jock who defeated Governor Bush for the Republican nomination. After at least five one-term Presidents in a row, it has become common to say that the nature of modern Texas politics means that its leaders can never make the transition to the national level easily. But with hurricane-battered Florida losing ground to Texas last Census, who can compete?

I'm quite pleased with the number of entries this week--I was worried this theme was too broad and too narrow at once.

Anyway, entries are now closed! The poll is up, so vote early and vote often!

Thanks! The role of the other union federations is one thing I had been curious about actually - from what I understood they were supposed to be more conservative than the CGT but I also saw some sources claiming that they were more open to the wildcat strikes of OTL Mai 68 and more interested in workplace democracy. Is that right or have I been bamboozled? (One of the parties supporting Piaget in the list is supposed to be a Parti democratique des ouvriers representing this tendency.)

Also, do you know of any good sources on the 60s and 70s in France? I can read French (very slowly, lol) but it's difficult to research and look for information in a language I don't know that well.

The main thing that could make other unions more radical is the lack of link to the PCF. The CGT is likely to hesitate to go in if the party doesn't want to. There's also the smaller radical unions, but that's probably just covered under anarchists at this point.

The CFDT is absolutely not going to be more open to wildcat strikes (it barely strikes even when legal). The CGT-FO is mostly the CGT but filtered through the cold war but it's generally weaker. Not being tied to one party might help, and they could be a place you find disgruntled syndicalists if the CGT is not delivering due to its PCF ties.

Back