• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

The Sporting Life: The D'Oliveira Affair

SenatorChickpea

The Most Kiwi Aussie of them all
Patreon supporter
Pronouns
he/him
Interesting premise for a series of articles- I'd like to see one on Bodyline or the 1981 Springbok Tour, off the top of my head.

Alex Richards

Lifetime cathedrals built: 8
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
Of course it's possible there could be another equivalent event to this one, but it could well fail to catch the public eye in the same way.

David Flin

A home of love and laughter.
Interesting premise for a series of articles- I'd like to see one on Bodyline or the 1981 Springbok Tour, off the top of my head.
Bodyline - or, to be more accurate, Fast Leg Theory - is, I think, pretty much done to death.
1981 Springbok Tour is probably a good one. It's not one I know a great deal about, but there's nothing to stop someone who does coming up with an article.

The next article in the series moves from the sport of hitting a small hard ball with a stick to hitting a small hard ball with a stick with cheeseburger. Thereafter, there's hitting people; kicking a pig's bladder, seeing whether one horse can run faster than another, bumping into people with an egg-shaped ball, running very quickly, and finishing with hitting a small hard ball with a stick.

Of course it's possible there could be another equivalent event to this one, but it could well fail to catch the public eye in the same way.
The other big cricket one I considered was the Hanse Cronje match-fixing scandal.

That is very shameful by the MCC, though good for Cartwright sticking to his guns
Absolutely. Cartwright was, by all accounts a very decent man. The MCC acting in a shameful manner, well, it's not exactly news to anyone who follows the sport. "The MCC acted in a shameful and cowardly manner" is right up there with "FIFA has seen some corruption."