• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Tales from Development Hell: Superman Lives

That's a good point about the post-Burton style sticking around. Last time I saw Mystery Men, it struck me how this is very much modelled on how Burton and Schumacher's Batman films look, because of course it is, that's what superheroes looked like in the same way The Boys TV version has the Seven look MCUish and 00s superfilms have that black leather look. Imagine X-Men that does indeed have yellow spandex as they fight in neon settings against a very 1964-looking Magneto!

Trying a different style to these articles from my horror ones. Want them to be 1) more direct to a point and 2) have more discussion around the impact of the change.

That's a good point about the post-Burton style sticking around. Last time I saw Mystery Men, it struck me how this is very much modelled on how Burton and Schumacher's Batman films look, because of course it is, that's what superheroes looked like in the same way The Boys TV version has the Seven look MCUish and 00s superfilms have that black leather look. Imagine X-Men that does indeed have yellow spandex as they fight in neon settings against a very 1964-looking Magneto!

The last time I re-watched it I felt the first Raimi Spider-Man has this vibe of being Burton's Batman but during daytime. Even OTL Batman Begins wasn't wholly committed to abandoning some elements of that style compared with the other two Nolan films.

However, perhaps the black version of the Superman costume might mean less bright and colourful costumes still become the norm.

Back