• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Tales from Development Hell: Nessie

What Im finding very intriguing is the possibility this leads to an earlier interest in Japanese media in the UK - in particular I can see Studio Ghibli (well its predecessor in this case) deciding a UK company might be a better choice for the English dub of Nausucaa in 1984, and that's got a lot of the sci-fi/horror themes this colaboration would seem to suggest play well.

Mitazaki adapted quite a few novels by British authors over the years as well- might we see an earlier, more successful Earthsea adaptation for example?

EDIT: Imagine the Cosgrave Hall dubbing studio!

Oh god I want to see Cushing or Lee VS Godzilla now.

What Im finding very intriguing is the possibility this leads to an earlier interest in Japanese media in the UK - in particular I can see Studio Ghibli (well its predecessor in this case) deciding a UK company might be a better choice for the English dub of Nausucaa in 1984, and that's got a lot of the sci-fi/horror themes this colaboration would seem to suggest play well.

There's a scenario! Some Japanese anime and puppet shows had made it over here, what if it's a more common thing and the anime surge in 80s America is coming from a context of seeing British-dubbed anime imports on visits as well as the uncut stuff; if Manga Video comes ten years earlier?

There's a scenario! Some Japanese anime and puppet shows had made it over here, what if it's a more common thing and the anime surge in 80s America is coming from a context of seeing British-dubbed anime imports on visits as well as the uncut stuff; if Manga Video comes ten years earlier?
I'm picturing the modern US Xenoblade fanbase but happening four decades earlier.

Of course British puppet shows also influenced Japanese media, most obviously Thunderbirds.

Two months earlier they had released the supremely sleazy To the Devil... A Daughter, the details of which can be read in another article on the studio. (LINK!!!!)

Uh, @David Flin...

Mitazaki adapted quite a few novels by British authors over the years as well- might we see an earlier, more successful Earthsea adaptation for example?

EDIT: Imagine the Cosgrave Hall dubbing studio!

Good shout, Castle in the Sky could come full circle and all the miners have Welsh accents.

I did not know till now how much OTL needs a kaiju film about the Loch Ness Monster. People from the TL where it was succeeded probably see OTL like how commenters on popculture timelines feel when @Brainbin butterflies away a beloved franchise.
British kaiju were a very brief thing OTL, though not under that name of course and owing more to the Harryhausen US films: you had Behemoth, the Sea Monster in 1959 and Gorgo in 1961. However, as you point out neither of these had the sense to use the Loch Ness Monster, using Cornwall and Ireland, respectively, for the origin of their beasties. Interesting, both were also directed by The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms director Eugène Lourié.

Mr. Cushing already has an impressive CV, but just imagine "Took down Godzilla" appearing amongst this list of accomplishments:

petercushing.jpg

Of course British puppet shows also influenced Japanese media, most obviously Thunderbirds.
Funnily enough the very first anime I saw was Thunderbirds 2086, most deliberately derived as an homage to the Gerry Anderson programmes. My father picked it up for me on VHS just assuming it was a new version of the old programme he enjoyed.

British kaiju were a very brief thing OTL, though not under that name of course and owing more to the Harryhausen US films: you had Behemoth, the Sea Monster in 1959 and Gorgo in 1961. However, as you point out neither of these had the sense to use the Loch Ness Monster, using Cornwall and Ireland, respectively, for the origin of their beasties. Interesting, both were also directed by The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms director Eugène Lourié.
And, of course, not forgetting...

1682694555991.png

I do love the notion of the stereotypical dub anime voice being some kind of British accent as a result of that.

Back