• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Spud's Stuff

Nunatuagnak, or Roald Amundsen Land
Nunatuagnak, or Roald Amundsen Land

Nunatuagnak, officially known as Roald Amundsen Land until 1996, is a constituent country of the Kingdom of Norway located in the Arctic Ocean, just north of the American state of Alaska. It is notable for being the home of the Atuagnamiut, a sub-group of the Iñupiat people recorded as some of the northernmost-living indigenous people on the planet. The archipelago has also historically served as a point of contention between the Arctic territorial claims of Norway, the United States, and Russia.

The name Nunatuagnak derives from the Iñupiaq roots "nuna", meaning land or country, and "atuagnak", literally meaning a northerly wind not adjacent to the coast. The capital of Nunatuagnak is Aŋiruvik, located on the island of Kikitasugruk. The archipelago of Nunatuagnak is traditionally divided into four groups of islands: Kikitasugruk in the center, Agvikikiktat in the east, Kalupiavik in the south, and Iŋiulivik in the west. As of 2012 the population of Nunatuagnak was recorded at 4,603, of which 94.6% were indigenous Atuagnamiut, distributed across nine local settlements.

The Atuagnamiut people are primarily hunter-gatherers, subsisting on local fish, seals, walrus, beluga, and bowhead whales from the Arctic Ocean. There is also a small local population of caribou used by the local people for milk and blood but rarely slaughtered for meat. Local flora is sparse, consisting of mosses, liverworts, lichens, and arctic poppy, the only indigenous flowering plant.

Archeological evidence and local oral history suggest that Nunatuagnak has been continuously inhabited by Iñupiat people since around 100 AD and that the archipelago has since held continuous trade contact with the mainland North Slope Iñupiat, as evidenced by the continued linguistic and cultural similarity between the mainland and archipelago Iñupiat groups. However, before the twentieth century there is no firm historical record of non-indigenous contact with the Atuagnamiut, likely due to a lack of outside interest in the region.

The first confirmed European sighting of the archipelago would come in 1926, when Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen noted the archipelago's existence from aboard the airship Norge shortly after becoming the first human to fly above the North Pole. However, Amundsen would never set foot on the islands, as he would disappear on a rescue mission for the airship Italia in the Barents Sea in 1928. The Norwegian government would later send explorer Gunnar Horn to the archipelago in 1930 as part of the Braatvag Expedition, negotiating a treaty with local Atuagnamiut elders for Norwegian protection, establishing a Lutheran church in Aŋiruvik, and naming the islands Roald Amundsen Land in posthumous honor of the Norge expedition's leader.

The United States would claim Roald Amundsen Land as a part of its then-territory of Alaska in 1930, mere months after the Norwegian expedition to the islands, while the Soviet Union would lay claim to it as an extension of the Eurasian continental shelf in 1932. The Permanent Court of International Justice would hear the dispute in 1934, ruling in favor of the Norwegian claim on the basis of its negotiated settlement with local elders, however the Russian government would not officially cede its claim to the land until 1992, and continues to claim the archipelago's territorial waters as a part of the Eurasian continental shelf.

During World War Two, Norway would be invaded and occupied by Nazi Germany from 1940 to 1945, placed under the civil administration of a puppet government led by collaborator Vidkun Quisling. Fearing that Roald Amundsen Land could fall into the hands of Nazi sympathisers and provide a staging point for Axis intelligence-gathering operations in the Arctic, the United States government would send a group of forty US marines to secure the islands from German invasion in 1940, setting up a RADAR listening post in 1943 and occupying the islands for a total of five years. The marines would withdraw in 1945 and Norwegian civil control would return, but the RADAR listening post would remain in place, later becoming the site of Polaris Air Base in 1953, an important component of the Distant Early Warning Line protecting North America against possible Soviet air attacks during the Cold War.

Throughout the late twentieth century, local indigenous leaders would agitate for the implementation of home rule in Nunatuagnak, organizing frequent protests outside Polaris Air Base and across the archipelago against Norwegian direct rule and outside exploitation of the area's natural resources and environment, arguing in favor of an autonomous local government based on the wording of the original Braatvag Expedition treaty. In 1996, several years after the fall of the Soviet Union and decommissioning of the Distant Early Warning Line, the Norwegian government would enter negotiations with local leaders, resulting in the creation of Nunatuagnak as a constituent country within the Kingdom of Norway, establishing an autonomous local government under Norwegian protection.

Today, the government of Nunatuagnak is a notable proponent of Inuit and indigenous political representation, holding membership of the Inuit Circumpolar Council and funding multiple public initiatives towards the goal of Arctic environmental protection. Local leaders continue to stress the importance of rising threats to the Atuagnamiut way of life, including pollution created by the continued operation of military installations such as Polaris Air Base, the continued impact of global climate change on Arctic life, and the emergence of international tourism and shipping routes throughout the Arctic Ocean. Several initiatives to survey Nunatuagnak's territorial waters for possible oil and gas reserves have also been continually resisted by local leaders in spite of increasing corporate pressure.

nunatuagnak.png

Progressive Southern Cultural Flag (v2)
An improved version of my proposal for a progressive Southern cultural flag, designed to serve as a symbol of the Southern United States (within which I live) without the harmful or racist connotations of existing designs. The previous design I feel felt too... alien to an American audience in its design and colors, this version attempts to feel more organically American and familiar, using the traditional red, white, and blue colors plus black. The hibiscus design has also been redrawn in order to seem more natural. Anyone who wishes to use this design for themselves is free to do so, as this is meant to serve as an alternative Southern cultural symbol to existing designs with hateful connotations for anyone who wishes to express this idea.

Symbolism: The white stripe represents the Upper South and the highlands and mountains of the region such as the Appalachian Mountains, Ozark Mountains, and Ouachita Mountains. The black stripe represents the Deep South, as well as the fertile prairies and lowlands of the region such as the Mississippi Valley and Texas Blackland Prairie. The blue stripe represents the maritime regions of the South, as well as the important coastlines, oceans, and waterways of the region such as the Mississippi River, Gulf of Mexico, and Atlantic Ocean. The red hoist represents the blood shed over the centuries in the fight for civil rights and equality within the South and across the entire United States. The white hibiscus, a common native flower in the South, represents the diverse people and culture of the region, the native flora and fauna, and Southern hospitality. The white, black, and blue stripes together represent unity and equality between the races and cultures of the South, the white stripe for white Southerners, the black stripe for black Southerners, and the blue stripe for all other Southerners.

progressive southern cultural flag.png

Reconstruction Military Districts (Standing at the Crossroads)
Some filler content for Standing at the Crossroads, there isn't too much new information here that isn't already inferable from the modern USA map or the election maps, but I felt like finalizing the arrangement of the military districts and getting it "onto paper" so to speak, so here you go.

military districts.png

The U.S.A. - 2022 (No Lore, Funkytown Timeline, Stress Relief)
The United States of America - 2022 (No Lore, Funkytown Timeline)

Happy new year! Here's a little thing I've been working on for about a week or so, just a funky map of the United States with no lore because lorebuilding was getting stressful and I needed a break. There's not any concrete story but if you want to ask why something is the way it is then feel free and I'll try to make up an explanation because I find that sort of thing fun.

8c1rOfi.png

Last edited:
The United States of America - 2022 (No Lore)

Happy new year! Here's a little thing I've been working on for about a week or so, just a funky map of the United States with no lore because lorebuilding was getting stressful and I needed a break. There's not any concrete story but if you want to ask why something is the way it is then feel free and I'll try to make up an explanation because I find that sort of thing fun.

View attachment 48109

New Swabia, population: Yes I Think We've Got One Of Those Let Me Check

Havana and New Ulster definitely have a story behind them. I like the touch of moving the Mormons to Durango.

New Swabia, population: Yes I Think We've Got One Of Those Let Me Check

Havana and New Ulster definitely have a story behind them. I like the touch of moving the Mormons to Durango.
New Ulster was essentially meant to be where most of the Protestant Irish migrants to the New World went back in the colonial days, then joined the American Revolution as one of the original 13 colonies when it happened out of continued general Irish distaste for the British, these days I'm imagining it as basically Maine only even more rural, fishery-dependent, and practically Canadian. I was also imagining Saint Michel as being an underpopulated exclave of New Ulster Maine-style until the early 19th century, when it gets split off in a Missouri Compromise equivalent of some sort.

Havana was vaguely meant to be a late 19th century filibuster somewhat analagous to the Spanish-American War, only perhaps as a bit more of an indirect Texas or Hawaii-style planters' rebellion followed by annexation rather than a direct conflict between the US and Spain, leaving rump Cuba (and Isla de Pinos, which I was imagining in the modern day as basically a Cayman Islands-style tax haven) Spanish until eventual diplomatic independence in the 20th century followed by federation with Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Today Havana is sort of halfway between real-life Hawaii and Puerto Rico, in that it's still probably like, 60-ish percent Hispanophone with the remainder being white tourists and snowbirds that have gentrified the fuck out of the place once sugar stopped being the main source of income in the region. This is also why there's fuckall in southern Florida, because why would you develop that swamp into a resort when you have a way better one right across the water?

Batman! (2027)
This is the stupidest fucking thing I've created in ages.

Batman! (2027) - Wikipedia

Batman! is a 2027 comedy superhero film co-directed by Quentin Tarantino and Justin Roiland. It is a standalone reboot of the Batman film franchise, created by DC Films in a "last ditch attempt" to revive the Batman character after the box office failure of The Batman (2022) and in response to the continuing rise of the rival Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise. Batman! grossed the second highest box office return of any superhero film in history, $2.3 billion, after Avengers: Endgame (2019).

The film has received both acclaim and criticism for its surreal style, comedic tone, and unorthodox direction, described by IMDB as "the first real comedy of the digital age". Comparisons to the film have been variously made of the original Batman (1966) TV series, Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), and the works of Charlie Chaplin, as well as with the esoteric style of modern meme culture.

The film's directors, Quentin Tarantino and Justin Roiland, despite their previous lack of creative contact, were directly drafted by Warner Brothers executives due to their previous experience and perceived grasp of 21st century culture. Both directors were reportedly told "you have a blank check, name your price, I want you to save Batman" upon their arrival at DC Films. While at first seemingly doomed by creative differences between the directors, exorbitant production costs and delays, and casting disagreements, Batman! ultimately released on December 1, 2027 after five years of delay and with a production cost of $412 million, the most expensive film in history.

Cast:

Bo Burnham as Bruce Wayne / Batman
Timothée Chalamet as Dick Grayson / Robin
Michael Peña as Alfred Pennyworth
J. K. Simmons as Commissioner James Gordon
Zendaya as Barbara Gordon / Batgirl
Sacha Baron Cohen as The Joker
Eric André as The Riddler
Kaitlin Olson as The Catwoman
Jack Black as The Penguin
Samuel L. Jackson as Mr. Freeze

Last edited:
I want to see this movie very badly now.

I am somewhat disgusted Danny Devito missed out on being The Penguin, though.
I really wanted to have him as The Penguin, but he's 77 as we speak, I'm not sure he'd have the energy for a blockbuster in 2027.

World of Major League Baseball! (No Lore, Funkytown Timeline, Eye Strain Warning)
World of Major League Baseball! (No Lore, Funkytown Timeline, Eye Strain Warning)

A bit of an epilogue to the no lore United States map from a few days ago, once again there's no concrete lore but if you want to ask about something then feel free and I'll try to make up an explanation. This is intentionally much more janky and scuffed than most of my work, it's meant to be like, something you would see handed out to kids at the ballpark as a souvenir or find printed on the back of a newspaper or something.

sussy famicom baseball.png

Last edited:
This is the stupidest fucking thing I've created in ages.

Batman! (2027) - Wikipedia

Batman! is a 2027 comedy superhero film co-directed by Quentin Tarantino and Justin Roiland. It is a standalone reboot of the Batman film franchise, created by DC Films in a "last ditch attempt" to revive the Batman character after the box office failure of The Batman (2022) and in response to the continuing rise of the rival Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise. Batman! grossed the second highest box office return of any superhero film in history, $2.3 billion, after Avengers: Endgame (2019).

The film has received both acclaim and criticism for its surreal style, comedic tone, and unorthodox direction, described by IMDB as "the first real comedy of the digital age". Comparisons to the film have been variously made of the original Batman (1966) TV series, Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), and the works of Charlie Chaplin, as well as with the esoteric style of modern meme culture.

The film's directors, Quentin Tarantino and Justin Roiland, despite their previous lack of creative contact, were directly drafted by Warner Brothers executives due to their previous experience and perceived grasp of 21st century culture. Both directors were reportedly told "you have a blank check, name your price, I want you to save Batman" upon their arrival at DC Films. While at first seemingly doomed by creative differences between the directors, exorbitant production costs and delays, and casting disagreements, Batman! ultimately released on December 1, 2027 after five years of delay and with a production cost of $412 million, the most expensive film in history.

Cast:

I can't tell whether this is more or less cursed than my Batman box.

But also I appreciate the fact that Samuel Jackson is still alive in 2027

Galatianism (Funkytown Timeline)
Galatianism

Galatianism is the religious tradition and theology of the Galatianist movement of Christian revivalism started by Arthur Weber in 1874 in central Gadsden. Due to the decentralized nature of Galatianist Christianity, the term has been applied to a variety of belief systems scattered across the historical Texas region of the United States (today the states of New Mexico, Rio Grande, Gadsden, and Sabine) which are primarily brought together by the Trail to Damascus, a yearly religious pilgrimage from Johnsonville, Gadsden to Hedgewood, Osage and back primarily undertaken on horseback or on foot,[1] and by a religious belief in the principle of armed self-defense which typically requires adherents to carry a firearm at all times.[2]

The term Galatianism derives from the movement's emphasis on the Epistle to the Galatians, one of the teachings of Paul the Apostle, who is believed to have appeared to a ranch hand named Arther Weber in 1874 and instructed him to revive the Christian gospel in America and establish a new holy pilgrimage among his followers.[3] While initially used as a derogatory term by non-adherents to ridicule the movement, the movement would quickly embrace the term, and is today the primary self-descriptor used by most adherents.

As founder and primary leader of the Galatianist movement, Arthur Weber placed heavy emphasis on oral history, direct experiences with Jesus Christ and Paul the Apostle through dreams and visions, and repeatedly denounced written religious texts and any form of centralized church organization in favor of a direct personal relationship with God. It is believed by most historians that Arthur Weber, as a ranch hand in 19th century Texas, was unable to read or write.[4][5][6][7][8][9] Weber would throughout his life establish the primary tenets of Galatianism as the rejection of centralized social authorities such as churches, banks, and governments in favor of near total self-sufficiency and rural life, the rejection of social hierarchies such as race,[10][11] class,[12] and gender,[13][14][15] constant personal armament following the Battle of Greenhorn in which 37 Galatianists were massacred at a riverside by local Southern Baptists, and the annual pilgrimage to Hedgewood as a collective divine experience between followers of God.

Today there are an estimated 250,000 to 500,000 Galatianist adherents in the United States, primarily in rural regions of the state of Gadsden, with significant populations also present in Rio Grande, Sabine, and Osage.[16] Galatianists primarily live in small family groups on ranches or in small rural communes, farming the majority of their own food and depending on few social services. The largest organization in the United States maintained by Galatianist adherents is the Trail to Damascus Maintenance Corporation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit which stresses its sole purpose as general maintenance of the Trail to Damascus and organization of the yearly pilgrimage, and does not claim to be a church.[17]

United States Census Regions

View attachment 48670

Interesting that without Washington or a unified California, there seems to be less of a "West Coast" identity separate from the southwestern and northwestern ones. Probably helps that politically speaking, Jefferson+ and Big Spokane are more visibly similar to Montana, and a separate Southern California would have preserved a bit more Californio identity.

Last edited:
The U.S.A. - 2021 (Standing at the Crossroads)
The United States of America - 2021
Took this post down before because it's a pain to edit images on this site and I kept tweaking it, now that I haven't edited it in a few weeks and I'm pretty sure it's 100% done I'll put it back up on here.

deogh5f-e766c5a3-ec54-4565-9e7f-727ef414fd2f.png

Last edited:
What if Seinfeld just kept going forever?
Seinfeld - S34, E19 (January 13, 2021)
"The Bodega"

Summary:
Kramer turns his apartment into a bodega for some extra cash and becomes obsessed with having an "authentic bodega feeling", including selling t-shirts, buying absurdly large amounts of canned food and merchandise in bulk, and adopting a bodega cat which hisses every time it sees Elaine. The inside of Kramer's apartment/bodega is never shown in the episode. Newman continually makes fun of Jerry for being a Mets fan every time they meet, George can't defend him because he's working for the Yankees again and doesn't want to lose his job. Elaine finds out she's been wearing her face mask upside down since the COVID-19 pandemic began and goes down an internet rabbit hole trying to figure out which type of mask is most effective.

Cast:

Okay uh, I guess this is some sort of Mandela effect thing because... I just realized Jim Carrey is still alive. He was my immediate first choice for Batman in this but for some reason I was completely convinced he tragically died somehow in the early 2000s to the point that I didn't even bother to check. This is great news to me because I love his work but yeah, I dunno how I managed to do that. I dunno how I didn't notice him as Eggman I literally saw all the memes I just didn't recognize him with the moustache somehow. Feel free to make fun of me for being dumb lmao.

We Must Love Each Other - The Eruption of 1982
We Must Love Each Other - The Eruption of 1982

Hoo boy, this has been in the works for nearly half a year on and off, and it's finally done. I honestly don't have much to say about it that isn't in the graphic itself, go look at it, I put my heart and soul into this. Thanks to everyone who has supported me throughout this creative process.

Base map courtesy of Tethys00 and Hadaril. Original Earth photograph courtesy of Reto Stöckli at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. Some creative help and ideas courtesy of ArtificialCartographer. Lyrics to The Baltics Are Waking Up! (Latvian version) courtesy of Viktors Zemgals.

yellowstone 1982.png

Last edited:
Back