• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Sport in Alternate History. Part 2 - Disasters.

On this side of the pond you have Roberto Clemente for sports tragedies. He was getting old and nearing the end of his career but still had a few seasons left in him and had played well in what was his OTL last season.

I don't know why I'd never considered Superga's effect on the Italian national side before, but yes, that's huge. As is the potential impact on the European club football.

On this side of the pond you have Roberto Clemente for sports tragedies. He was getting old and nearing the end of his career but still had a few seasons left in him and had played well in what was his OTL last season.
I deliverately didn't go into individual deaths, but there could be another article in there...

If we're talking about athletes and planes, there's the bizarre death of baseball player Len Koenecke who was drunk and crazy, attacked the pilot and another passenger before the pilot beat him to death in self-defense and then made an emergency landing.

If it's good enough for the US figure skating team then it's good enough for the President and Vice President of the United States.

Not quite I don't think, but it does happen a fair bit (Cory Lidle being another baseball one which wasn't mentioned yet). Car accidents (and, in one recent baseball case, a boat accident) too.
It happens for athletes for the same reason it happens/happened to musicians- they just travel more than other parts of the populace and if they die, it is news.

Within music, there is a certain romanticism to it, as well as an idea that they were cursed or intentionally killed by rivals/managers stabbing at posterity.

What if there'd been no Munich air crash? Would the Babes have stayed together with the outflow of British players to Italian clubs in the late 50s?

Back