• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Spanish Hawaii

Ricardolindo

What if, at some point in the 17th century, a Spanish fleet diverted from the route between New Spain and the Philippines and found Hawaii and the Spaniards colonized it? What would the Spanish colonial society look like? What would be the fate of Hawaii if Mexico still became independent at the same time as in our timeline?

What if, at some point in the 17th century, a Spanish fleet diverted from the route between New Spain and the Philippines and found Hawaii and the Spaniards colonized it? What would the Spanish colonial society look like? What would be the fate of Hawaii if Mexico still became independent at the same time as in our timeline?
This thread of mine that I posted over a year ago never got any replies. Because of my Chilean Polynesia thread, I am bumping it.
I now find it more likely that the Spaniards would find Hawaii in the 18th century following the conquest of the Mariana Islands.
There would probably be a lot of Spanish and Mexican settlement in Hawaii like there was in Guam and they would mix with the Native Hawaiians like they did with the Chamorro in Guam.

Under Spain it would have a cultural mixing, or even swamping, from Spain and New Spain.

It will be very tied to New Spain.

It may fall under Mexico with the independence of the latter. I find that a bit more likely than it remaining tied to Spain separately from Mexico, because it will be so remote from direct routes and ties with metro Spain. Doesn't make it impossible of course. If Spanish or Mexican through the 19th century, it is one of those provinces that has an easier chance of revolting successfully or being stolen by someone (the US most likely, possibly Britain).

Under Spain it would have a cultural mixing, or even swamping, from Spain and New Spain.

It will be very tied to New Spain.

It may fall under Mexico with the independence of the latter. I find that a bit more likely than it remaining tied to Spain separately from Mexico, because it will be so remote from direct routes and ties with metro Spain. Doesn't make it impossible of course. If Spanish or Mexican through the 19th century, it is one of those provinces that has an easier chance of revolting successfully or being stolen by someone (the US most likely, possibly Britain).
The big question is whether a Spanish Hawaii would lead to a greater Spanish settlement in California. That could change history.

Back