• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

SLP 'Telephone' Maps and Graphics Game 5

It's been going slow, I'm afraid. As people in another thread have noted, I've had a bit of a bumpy two weeks.

Nevertheless, the matter is progressing, and I hope that once you see what I've produced, you'll conclude that it was well worth the wait!

Okay, I will finish it this weekend, no worries, my apologies, I appreciate your patience!

Okay, I will finish it this weekend, no worries, my apologies, I appreciate your patience!

Spoke with @kratostatic two days ago, he's gotten a full idea of what it is that I'm working on, and I hope that he can vouch for that a week after my saying "just two days, more I swear", it genuinely is worth waiting for me to be able to finish this. Alas this weekend I've been having perpetual "scratch disks are full" error messages that just make everything go straight to hell. Hopefully, everything will sort itself out once I've switched to a new computer.

Appreciate the patience everything.

Please just let me finish this.

When I'm done, you can all lynch me in a beautiful communal spirit for all the extra time it took.

I'm just impressed that your're being sufficiently ambitious with this as to have literally gone beyond what your computer can handle!

And as discussed you're way over time but I know you're not stuck for ideas or too busy (which is what the time limit was really meant to guard against) so I'm ok with this; the fact that I know what's coming doesn't hurt of course!

Spoke with @kratostatic two days ago, he's gotten a full idea of what it is that I'm working on, and I hope that he can vouch for that a week after my saying "just two days, more I swear", it genuinely is worth waiting for me to be able to finish this. Alas this weekend I've been having perpetual "scratch disks are full" error messages that just make everything go straight to hell. Hopefully, everything will sort itself out once I've switched to a new computer.

Appreciate the patience everything.

Please just let me finish this.

When I'm done, you can all lynch me in a beautiful communal spirit for all the extra time it took.
This is very exciting, knowing what I passed on to you. I eagerly await the end of the contest now. Don't worry about the time too much!

I didn't want to make this post cos like the game isn't being run by me, but given there is a two week per person rule and it has been 18 weeks since the last image, it might be time to skip people just in the interest of the game ever finishing cos those of us have already made graphics would quite like to be able to show them.

And like there is no judgement on that, people have shit in their lives which take priority over a game, theres no issue with someone skipping their turn, a game should never come first. But I'd suggest that maybe happens.

I didn't want to make this post cos like the game isn't being run by me, but given there is a two week per person rule and it has been 18 weeks since the last image, it might be time to skip people just in the interest of the game ever finishing cos those of us have already made graphics would quite like to be able to show them.

And like there is no judgement on that, people have shit in their lives which take priority over a game, theres no issue with someone skipping their turn, a game should never come first. But I'd suggest that maybe happens.
I have to concur. You said it all better than I could have. I didn't want to bring it up either as I had been the last one to do so, but the subject has been on my mind for a while. It has been very long and without any notification or updates I can only request that we move on. If there is agreement I will pass my work on to the next user, or at least request @Makemakean to inform the next user of whatever was planned or has been completed thus far. @kratostatic

Yeah, I really fucked this up, didn't I? I went beyond a Robert Caro extension on the deadline, I went full George R. R. Martin.

I apologize sincerely, and I genuinely appreciate the compassion and understanding you're all showing in this regard. As much as I something do feel frustrated by certain individuals on this place I can only describe as toxic, may I never forget the wholesomeness that this place is able to show more often than not. Your generosity and liberality of spirit is wonderful. You're very good and decent people.

I hope the day might come when I can show you what I did have in mind, but as it is at the moment, I must offer a mea culpa and ask that @Excelsior sends their graphic along to the next person on the list.

Right, I thought about this, but once again I'm stumped as to where to go in a way that doesn't involve several weeks of GIS work, demographic spreadsheets, and my love-and-hate relationship with a sandwich shop downtown, so I'm just going to concede my place here. I think that means it's time to start with the telephone line; @kratostatic, please confirm or deny. I'll go over my overly extravagant idea once @Indicus posts his piece.

Right, I thought about this, but once again I'm stumped as to where to go in a way that doesn't involve several weeks of GIS work, demographic spreadsheets, and my love-and-hate relationship with a sandwich shop downtown, so I'm just going to concede my place here. I think that means it's time to start with the telephone line; @kratostatic, please confirm or deny. I'll go over my overly extravagant idea once @Indicus posts his piece.

It does indeed.

@Gary Oswald , if you could kindly get us started off?

So, as a starting image I wanted something simple and open ended, so I picked a wixibox and tried to pick an image that could hint at a number of different things. The scenario is one that has intrigued me for a while, the real attempts of GB to sell Minorca to Russia during the American revolution on the basis that they couldn't hope to defend it against a Spanish invasion and the aftermath of that if the sale had gone through.

ryqKWwT.jpg

And I sent that to @Alex Richards.

So I received that from Gary and ended up considering the long term demographic consequences of a Russian outpost in the med. Like how it could end up being a destination point for Greek and Armenian emigrants, wealthy Yugoslavs and later more diverse expats.

And ended up creating a map showing the ethnic breakdown of this rather more diverse island at various levels.

1677876004780.png

And sent it off to @Wolfram

Not knowing anything about Russia's possible purchase of Minorca, I assumed the change in demographics was the result of immigration - perhaps migration from political instability around the Black Sea and the Balkans. I originally intended to do a different graphic - I don't remember what, perhaps a map or a news website - but I was having problems getting my computer to run Inkscape, so I came up with another idea:
ZmBOPFQ.png

I think I was imagining an Ottoman Empire that took Crimea after an alternate version of the Crimean War, which snowballed into greater tensions across the region, but I don't 100% remember my reasoning here.

@Nanwe

Back