• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Princess Diana lives

Thanks for the reply. I love having someone with inside knowledge.
BTW, what do you think of the theory that Prince Harry is not the biological son of Prince Charles?
It's possible, but not really important. Charles and the Family accepted Harry as legitimate, and Charles acted like a father. Therefore, to all intents and purposes, he is the father. Who provided the sperm is irrelevant if that is a detail the family don't care about.
Thanks for the reply. You are right but I only asked out of curiosity. Looking it up, the theory appears unlikely. Princess Diana's affair with James Hewitt apparently only started after Prince Harry was born. Also see the pictures at . Note Prince Harry looks more like Prince Philip than Prince Charles does.

Honestly as social norms change, if Diana was still alive, I suspect the public would be increasingly revaluating her position in her marriage in the same way Monica Lewinsky has been somewhat reevaluted.

And I think that is for the simple reason that she was 19 and he was 32 when they started seeing each other.

And like I have to say, as someone in my mid 30s who works in education, I know what I think of people my age who date teenagers. And I would not have a huge ammount of sympathy for someone who did that and then found his bride was immature and flighty.

It's interesting to ponder the late 90s in the uk without her death, anyway. It's difficult to trace direct consequences but it was such a huge event in pop culture and the british psyche that it must have changed a bunch of things.

She lives, quadraspazzed on a life glug, slowly forgotten as the press get bored so the Duke of Edinburgh can pull the plug.

Honestly as social norms change, if Diana was still alive, I suspect the public would be increasingly revaluating her position in her marriage in the same way Monica Lewinsky has been somewhat reevaluted.

And I think that is for the simple reason that she was 19 and he was 32 when they started seeing each other.

And like I have to say, as someone in my mid 30s who works in education, I know what I think of people my age who date teenagers. And I would not have a huge ammount of sympathy for someone who did that and then found his bride was immature and flighty.

It's interesting to ponder the late 90s in the uk without her death, anyway. It's difficult to trace direct consequences but it was such a huge event in pop culture and the british psyche that it must have changed a bunch of things.

Honestly this seems like a more interesting and plausible scenario, I'd be curious if it's a bit like Clinton where Charles gets flack continually but it changes from "how dare he divorce the People's Princess" to "why the fUCK did he start dating a 19 year old"

Honestly the more interesting scenario is probably Charles's deployments time out a bit differently, he gets approval to marry Bowles first go-round ASAP or he gets the time and grace from the Firm for them to fuck around and figure their shit out a bit, and they're married before Diana comes in the picture. End result: Charles has been in a stable marriage for a damn long time, some changes around divorce stigma with maybe a touch more acceptance of "sometimes divorce is just two people having bad timing in figuring out they're wrong for each other" and Diana is largely Just Another Rich Kid who takes a bit of time to figure out her life and eventually lands on her feet.

Honestly this seems like a more interesting and plausible scenario, I'd be curious if it's a bit like Clinton where Charles gets flack continually but it changes from "how dare he divorce the People's Princess" to "why the fUCK did he start dating a 19 year old"

I think we'd have a period of Diana as aging banal figure of mockery, right up until Andrew's scandals start to come out. That's when "wait didn't Charles also--" starts to come up, because even though it's not legally or morally the same thing it's enough for a take. Whether it'd fully catch on I think depends on what Diana's doing at the time and if that makes her a 'bad victim' for some.

I think we'd have a period of Diana as aging banal figure of mockery, right up until Andrew's scandals start to come out. That's when "wait didn't Charles also--" starts to come up, because even though it's not legally or morally the same thing it's enough for a take. Whether it'd fully catch on I think depends on what Diana's doing at the time and if that makes her a 'bad victim' for some.

It depends on how he frames things or if they (somehow) reconcile as Diana gets a little older and gets a bit more stability in life and Charles sort of realizes from seeing *other* men screwing much younger women and breaking up* 1) what he did was kinda fucked up and 2) that he's allowed to feel a little bit of salt that the palace interfered with his love life without taking it out on other people.

*we've all had that moment when we were talking to a friend about this kind of thing and went internally "ok I have to take your side technically but you should realize that a 20 year old is going to have very different life priorities than a 34 year old and and plan your relationship decisions accordingly.

That's possible, they might have to come to some sort of accord because of the kids and grandkids (as unlike most divorced couples, if they're not it leaks to the Sun)

It'll probably involve a bit of "fuck the fam kinda did us dirty" I suppose, in a "fuck MAYBE if they cared more about us than about respectability they would've let me/you and Camilia marry and gotten over the respectability/finding a Acceptable Match thing long enough to pull you aside and tell you that this age and life experience gap was not going to work out and it wasn't fair to let either of you pursue something this doomed"

It'll probably involve a bit of "fuck the fam kinda did us dirty" I suppose, in a "fuck MAYBE if they cared more about us than about respectability they would've let me/you and Camilia marry and gotten over the respectability/finding a Acceptable Match thing long enough to pull you aside and tell you that this age and life experience gap was not going to work out and it wasn't fair to let either of you pursue something this doomed"

Agreed. The growing consensus, I think, is that the Charles and Diana and Camilla triangle was doomed and disastrous and was forced upon them. Charles and Camilla should have been free to marry each other and surely would have, while one can only hope that Diana would have been able to find happiness in her own right.

A lot depends on how Diana will evolve, as a public figure after 1997, intersecting with the cultural phenomena she never encountered.

The modal good outcome for Diana is "she just stays in that flat a bit longer and actually gets some therapy/psychological help to deal with how shitty her upbriging was and she either becomes a bit of a hipster avante le lettre or gets involved with a UK branch of ACT UP" imo. Could be a good vignette where her, Camilla, and Charles all meet for the first time when she's a prominent activist and become/are circumstantially Tolerably Friendly framed as her talking with her friends on his accession about "the time she met the King, although he was still Prince Charles back them of course, after the whole dropping a SILENCE=DEATH banner in Westminster Hall"

It does occur to me that the survival of Diana might pose theological problems for Charles. OTL the death of Diana meant that he could marry Camilla without any problems as a widow. What would Diana living do to all that?

(As head of the Church of England, this would also cause him political issues.)

Is my reading correct?

Instead of discussing what in all probability would happen, I say, we should just try to come up with something really funny.

Like, have Diana get involved more and more into political causes, leading to her joining Labour under Tony Blair, and being elected to Parliament, finally making it into the cabinet. Brown still loses in 2010, but this time, it isn't a Miliband that takes over the Labour leadership, but ex-Princess Di, who leads Labour to a landslide victory in 2015.

And now, as Prime Minister, she begins engineering to get her revenge! Like, proper House of Cards style!

Instead of discussing what in all probability would happen, I say, we should just try to come up with something really funny.

Like, have Diana get involved more and more into political causes, leading to her joining Labour under Tony Blair, and being elected to Parliament, finally making it into the cabinet. Brown still loses in 2010, but this time, it isn't a Miliband that takes over the Labour leadership, but ex-Princess Di, who leads Labour to a landslide victory in 2015.

And now, as Prime Minister, she begins engineering to get her revenge! Like, proper House of Cards style!

Really, how many people get to attain their ex?

If we're doing that scenario, we want it to be like Truss- Diana meets the Queen, who promptly carks it, and the next day Prime Minister Spencer has to proclaim King Charles.

"You don't understand, Diana. I'm not trapped dealing with you. [passes over a spider-writing letter about gardens] Now you're trapped dealing with me."

May I say that I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of Diana as PM. I know Britain has had some PMs of questionable quality, but if you think Johnson was facile, superficial, self-obsessed, and with only a passing acquaintance of the concept of truthfulness, well, compared to Diana, he was a model of probity.

May I say that I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of Diana as PM. I know Britain has had some PMs of questionable quality, but if you think Johnson was facile, superficial, self-obsessed, and with only a passing acquaintance of the concept of truthfulness, well, compared to Diana, he was a model of probity.

Oh, I'm not saying that it is likely, quite the contrary.

All I'm saying is that I just think it's more fun to go for trying to figure out a scenario where Diana becomes PM and then proceeds to try to get rid of the monarchy by underhanded means as part of a vendetta is far more fun than imagining a scenario where Diana ends up living a life that is probably fairly similar to the life that Sarah Ferguson has been living since the 90s.

Oh, I'm not saying that it is likely, quite the contrary.

I understand that. It's just that I have difficulty with the match up. It's like trying to imagine Bugs Bunny as President of the USA. Or perhaps Groucho Marx.

I'm desperately trying to think of someone less suitable for the position, and coming up blank.

Back