• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Post-Reich reordering of Europe - Operation Humpty Dumpty?

I'd add a lot more of Poland to that, the destruction of the Polish state was a nazi aim in and of itself and one of their big tools for that even in the war was an active program of resettlement, mostly by relocating German colonies across East and Southeast Europe towards there. With any period of time to do it they'll inevitably get to their goals of turning Warsaw into a small German city and the like.

That said I would highly doubt their ability to replicate similar results of full on integration further east, Destroying Poland would probably take decades, anything else would be Fort Apache, The Ukraine
I think the best the Reich can do is Poland, Bohemia and Moravia (there were plans for a Final Solution to the Czech Question IOTL that were never implemented), the Baltic States (a significant portion of the Estonian and Latvian population were considered candidates for Germanization, and Lithuania had a very small population), and Byelorussia. Beyond that they could no doubt destroy a lot of the big Russian and Ukrainian cities, but fully destroying the population is as you say probably not possible.

After the war this means that in all probability the Baltics, Bohemia-Moravia, and Poland all stay in German hands. I think Byelorussia might be transferred back to the Russians, given that it's their land and the German population will probably be small enough that it can be expelled.

The overall contribution of the RAF to the Eastern Front has unfortunately gotten bogged down in the standard ideological battles over the impact of L-L but one thing that sticks out beyond doubt was how utterly dreadful it was for German morale. According to David Stahel the appearance of Hurricanes being flown by British pilots was the moment when many Germans came to realise that Barbarossa had not only failed in its objectives of swiftly defeating the Soviet Union, and in doing so removing the UK's only remaining source of hope, but that things were only going to get worse from then on in.

I never knew that thanks for sharing!

Back