• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PODs of the Thirty Years War XLIV

I like how the soldiers by this point have clearly just had enough and are quite picky about where and when they will fight. Its like the reverse of Napoleon or Caesar having to argue with their men that no they can't just attack attack attack or late Roman armies murdering commanders who weren't aggressive enough and thus not offering potential for glory and spoils.

I like how the soldiers by this point have clearly just had enough and are quite picky about where and when they will fight. Its like the reverse of Napoleon or Caesar having to argue with their men that no they can't just attack attack attack or late Roman armies murdering commanders who weren't aggressive enough and thus not offering potential for glory and spoils.

Essentially you had two huge questions going on:

1. Is there going to be enough food - the economic devastation of vast areas of central Europe meant that soldiers were quite right to be genuinely concerned about whether there would be sufficient supplies to actually survive on in places like Bohemia.

2. Where are we actually fighting and what for - the French and Swedish had recruited lots of men with a combination of money and calls for the defence of 'German Liberty' against a domineering Emperor, the Emperor was talking about a nationalist effort to push out foreign rulers. French armies were expecting to defend France herself, especially after repeated bloody failures in attempts to actually invade the Empire itself. So fundamentally German mercenaries didn't see any reason to fight in the Netherlands, or Lorraine (and certainly didn't want to risk being sent even further away and there just weren't enough French troops around to reassure/pressure them

Essentially you had two huge questions going on:

1. Is there going to be enough food - the economic devastation of vast areas of central Europe meant that soldiers were quite right to be genuinely concerned about whether there would be sufficient supplies to actually survive on in places like Bohemia.

2. Where are we actually fighting and what for - the French and Swedish had recruited lots of men with a combination of money and calls for the defence of 'German Liberty' against a domineering Emperor, the Emperor was talking about a nationalist effort to push out foreign rulers. French armies were expecting to defend France herself, especially after repeated bloody failures in attempts to actually invade the Empire itself. So fundamentally German mercenaries didn't see any reason to fight in the Netherlands, or Lorraine (and certainly didn't want to risk being sent even further away and there just weren't enough French troops around to reassure/pressure them

Every Statesman and General of the 17th century.
1610809825926.png

I hope there is another big project after this one. For so long now these have been great short reads, sad to think they are drying up. Damn Germans surrendering too quickly.

I hope there is another big project after this one. For so long now these have been great short reads, sad to think they are drying up. Damn Germans surrendering too quickly.

The first one went up at the end of April 2019.

I'm not a little stunned myself looking back.

Back