• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

PoDs of the Thirty Years War - Part XI

Before anyone asks, no I'm definitely not going to do a series on the Eighty Years War any time soon.

What we really need is a few good articles about the battles, I think. Nothing like the pomp and circumstance of the battlefield slowly turning to mud and blood and tears to really get a hard knock into the reader before you start waffling about in ruffles and lace and other fripperies.

What we really need is a few good articles about the battles, I think. Nothing like the pomp and circumstance of the battlefield slowly turning to mud and blood and tears to really get a hard knock into the reader before you start waffling about in ruffles and lace and other fripperies.

I honestly don't have the sources to be able to do anything other than a 'the cavalry advanced to attack the right flank.' Or very vague statements about the nature of warfare at the time. There might be more in the way of first hand accounts in existence, but they tend not to be available online, or in English.

I honestly don't have the sources to be able to do anything other than a 'the cavalry advanced to attack the right flank.' Or very vague statements about the nature of warfare at the time. There might be more in the way of first hand accounts in existence, but they tend not to be available online, or in English.

Fair enough. I know a lot of the scholarly sources I can get on that time period tend to be secondhand through a translator who's doing the reaserch anyway. There should be at least a few decent sources on the topic in English, though: enough assorted mercenaries served that you should be able to at least get some good info out of the Wild Geese reports if nothing else.

Fair enough. I know a lot of the scholarly sources I can get on that time period tend to be secondhand through a translator who's doing the reaserch anyway. There should be at least a few decent sources on the topic in English, though: enough assorted mercenaries served that you should be able to at least get some good info out of the Wild Geese reports if nothing else.

You've got the added difficulty here that the Irish regiments tended to be sent to Flanders rather than Germany.

You've got the added difficulty here that the Irish regiments tended to be sent to Flanders rather than Germany.

That's still a solid part of the war to cover, and the chokehold on the Spanish Netherlands is the crux of the entire region the Benelux is split the way it is. Besides, siegecraft is quite easy to sum down; considering most of it is building and holding the line of circumvention.

Back