• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Papabile of 1978?

Beata Beatrix

Camille Paglia on Judge Dredd
Pronouns
she/her/hers
I’ve been watching The Two Popes, and, anyways, I get back into Vaticanology every few months - Papal politics are rather fun, especially for a Jew like me! With all that said, I’m curious if you lovely and talented people have any thoughts on papabile, particularly those of 1978? I once read a fascinating article which stated that the East German cardinal Alfred Bengsch was discussed as a candidate, as was John Paul II’s mentor Stefan Wyszynski, who declined on the basis of his age (@Heat; we’ve discussed this briefly).

Of course, the infamous Pignedoli principle comes from 1978, and can be used to disqualify practically anyone, but Pignedoli is a fun candidate in and of himself - I recall @Elektronaut once using him. As always, I’m eager to hear your thoughts!

The big two, especially in the second conclave of '78, were the conservative Cardinal Siri, Archbishop of Genoa, and the moderate Cardinal Benelli, Archbishop of Florence.

Most supposed vote counts from August had Siri leading on the first ballot with Cardinal Luciani (who became JP I) in second and presumably gathering more votes from liberal or moderate Cardinals. (It is worth noting that Benelli was a supporter of Luciani).

Supposedly, in the October conclave, Benelli received the support of most of Luciani's early backers but there was no way either he or Siri would receive a 2/3rds majority. Cardinal Wojtyla (who became JP II) was the compromise candidate in such a case.

(Of course, this is all without getting into the wacko traditionalist Siri thesis, which alleges that he was elected on the first ballot in the 1958 conclave, but was forced to decline, and as such, any sort of modernism led by the likes John XXIII [who was elected in 1958] was invalid for "real" believers.)

Back