• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

No Russian expansion south of the Caucasus

Why's that?
Such a Russia is likely one that is satisfied following the conquest of the Northern Black Sea Coast and doesn't seek further wars with the Ottoman Empire.
I would argue that gaining access to the Black Sea and ending the Crimean slave raids was absolutely worth it for Russia but the wars against the Ottomans after that weren't.

If I recall correct, both Paul and Alexander I entertained establishing indirect rule in Georgia. Maybe that happens here and becomes a model for handling the Azeris and Armenians?

My username is a reference to the second husband of Queen (or King) Tamar, so my interest might be self-explanatory.

No Russian expansion south of Circassia, if Paul I continued his mother's disinterest in the region, could result in Qajar Iran fully defeating Kartli-Kakheti and making it a tributary, keeping it in control of eastern Georgia, while western Georgia would be disputed between local freedom fighters and the Ottomans. However, this POD would likely affect the broader eastern question as well.

My username is a reference to the second husband of Queen (or King) Tamar, so my interest might be self-explanatory.

No Russian expansion south of Circassia, if Paul I continued his mother's disinterest in the region, could result in Qajar Iran fully defeating Kartli-Kakheti and making it a tributary, keeping it in control of eastern Georgia, while western Georgia would be disputed between local freedom fighters and the Ottomans. However, this POD would likely affect the broader eastern question as well.
It was Paul I who canceled Catherine I's expedition against Iran as he didn't like his mother's adventurism.
Also, what if Agha Mohammad Khan had not been assassinated? When Agha Mohammad Khan was assassinated, he was on his way to crush Kartli-Kakheti again. Do you think the Georgians would have dared to resist again? According to George Bournoutian's A History of the Armenian People, Agha was considering the removal of the Christian population from Eastern Georgia and Eastern Armenia.

It was Paul I who canceled Catherine I's expedition against Iran as he didn't like his mother's adventurism.
Also, what if Agha Mohammad Khan had not been assassinated? When Agha Mohammad Khan was assassinated, he was on his way to crush Kartli-Kakheti again. Do you think the Georgians would have dared to resist again? According to George Bournoutian's A History of the Armenian People, Agha was considering the removal of the Christian population from Eastern Georgia and Eastern Armenia.
I doubt the Georgians, other than a few courageous rebels, would resist again, and they likely would have saved their lives.
And yes, 1796 is too late of a POD.

Back