• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

No New Labour and it’s Effects?

Time Enough

"Enthusiastic Cis Male Partner"
Published by SLP
Pronouns
He/Him
The effects of Blair and New Labour have had a profound impact on Labour for both good and ill, but inspired by reading too many Late 20th century @Callan Timelines what if Blair just became a Lawyer or something and when a 96/97 election rolls around it’s someone else behind the driving wheel (take your pick, Smith, Beckett, Cook, Prezza, Kinnock 3.0 etc.). Should be remembered though that Mandelson and Brown would still exist.

Now some effects I can consider is the battle between the Old Guard and the Modernisers never really ends (oh fucking god) since Blair won’t have conclusive shown off it’s success.

It’s probably also a timeline where Labour is a more self assured Social Democratic Party (like the 90s will still 90s so some Third Way will occur) and the Soft Left is a pretty strong faction.

It would of course definitely mean no Corbyn and all that (though this could be a scenario for the SCG not having that weird massive age gap) and No RESPECT either so there’s that too.

Probably a more comfortable Lib Dem’s too so...

Also the effects on groups like the Conservative’s and SNP would be interesting too.

Probably a more comfortable Lib Dem’s too so...

A combination of exhausted Conservatives (and them struggling to get used to changing social attitudes) and a more left Labour feels like it'd be very, very good for the Lib Dems, but could also mean an earlier hung parliament where they have to pick a side. (CLARK-KENNEDY VS DAVID MILIBAND, Because The Pundits Demanded It)

A combination of exhausted Conservatives (and them struggling to get used to changing social attitudes) and a more left Labour feels like it'd be very, very good for the Lib Dems, but could also mean an earlier hung parliament where they have to pick a side
Indeed, I do get the sense that a No New Labour will probably increase the chance of Hung Parliaments and Coalitions because whilst I doubt we’ll get Kennedy gaining over 60 seats etc. I do think that the Lib Dem’s could gain up to the Mid 40s which causes all sorts of awkwardness.
(CLARK-KENNEDY VS DAVID MILIBAND, Because The Pundits Demanded It)
David Miliband probably wouldn’t be a thing due to No Blair and if we do see any Moderniser appear it would probably someone of the Brownite persuasion. The banter answer would be Peter Hain or someone else wacky.

Other considerations;
-The SCG is probably healthier since there’s probably a small trickle of a new generation of Lefties that comes in with each election. Folks like Mark Seddon etc.

-Probably doubt we would see a SNP surge I guess.

Back