• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Natural nuclear reactors and premodern civilizations

Hendryk

Taken back control yet?
Published by SLP
This may pertain more to fictional world-building than to strict alternate history, but bear with me:

There is such a thing as a natural nuclear reactor. One was discovered in Gabon in 1972 when uranium ore at the Oklo mine turned out to be inexplicably depleted: the right conditions had been met for a spontaneously moderated chain reaction of the fissile material to take place, generating heat which caused underground water to vaporize.

Which brings me to the question: could the resulting energy have been harnessed by some premodern civilization? Although it didn't happen OTL, this could be an interesting idea for someone designing a fictional world.

Might want to look into whether past societies harnessed geothermal energy then, past "oh cool, hot baths" which seems inadvisable in this case.

Victorian radiation belts combined with hot spring spa?

Indeed, it's technically geothermal energy, except that the heat comes from nuclear fission rather than proximity to magma.
Well, if you're designing a fictional world without plate tectonics or near-surface geological activity (e.g, ATL habitable versions of Venus or Mars), then harnessing natural nuclear reactors sounds like it could be an interesting alternative to harnessing geothermal energy there. Or perhaps even a viable alternate fuel source to spark extraterrestrial life, originating inside of one of these natural groundwater deposit spontaneously fissile nuclear reactors, instead of inside a system of geothermal vents. Hell, looking at the situation over on Venus, who's to say that this sort of 'natural nuclear reactor' environment isn't the most plausible habitat for extant life over on our planetary twin right now?

Back