• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Madagascar Revolt during World War I

lerk

In the 1910s there was a nationalist secret society in Madagascar known as the Vy Vato Sakelika which had the aim of expelling the French from the island and restoring the Merina Kingdom. At the same time, there was no French commander in Madagascar. VVS was founded a year before World War I. If for some reason Madagascar revolts in the middle of World War I, what will be the consequences? What are the chances of a nationalist victory?

Reactions: OHC
In the 1910s there was a nationalist secret society in Madagascar known as the Vy Vato Sakelika which had the aim of expelling the French from the island and restoring the Merina Kingdom. At the same time, there was no French commander in Madagascar. VVS was founded a year before World War I. If for some reason Madagascar revolts in the middle of World War I, what will be the consequences? What are the chances of a nationalist victory?
They managed to find enough mend to send to Gallipoli that they had more dead there than the Australians - under those circumstances, Madagascar could perhaps get very nasty, but the French certainly have the resources to take control - possibly at the expense of the Middle East as well as Gallipoli. I can't se it having much effect, but, well, it's not something I'm too familiar with.

Could the Germans send some aid to them, maybe a submarine filled with weapons like they tried to do with the Irish if i remember correctly.

The French are going to crack down hard. Whilst on the one hand it's going to be more complicated for the French organising the pacification, what the Malagasy rebels are probably hoping, it's going to completely undercut almost all of the support that they might of had. The French government will portray them as stabbing them in the back, somehow pro-German, and in the atmosphere of the Great War even people who might ordinarily have backed moves towards greater autonomy or freedom will condemn them as unpatriotic and traitors.

Back