• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

LSCatilina's Compagnie des Cartes Orientales

LSCatilina

Never Forget Avaricon
Pronouns
ēs/xsi
Based on the various studies, proposals and prospection of war goals in French and Belgian governments or cabinets; tweaked with the idea a later or none American intervention in WW1, with a slightly longer war but with a Entente victory in two-steps (total breakeway of Austrian-Hungarian front and successful Lorraine Offensive of late 1918)

rect8f37.png

Acquisition of Zeelandish Flanders was considered relatively early on by Belgian governmental, military and economic circles, essentially as a means to secure the Scheldt and a free economical and commercial road for the country that wouldn't be then as easily cut off (along with the internationalisation of the Scheldt, Meuse and Rhine), especially as even while Netherlands were neutrals, many tought it as a pro-German neutrality altough compensation at the expense of Germany in Frisia or Gelder were proposed.

More nationalist concerns, aiming at annexing it along with Limburg did factor in but played a lesser role, even while French political and diplomatic circles were roughly fine at supporting these claims (as well as a Belgian annexation of Luxemburg) as well should they be advanced.

Acquisition of Zeelandish Flanders was considered relatively early on by Belgian governmental, military and economic circles, essentially as a means to secure the Scheldt and a free economical and commercial road for the country that wouldn't be then as easily cut off (along with the internationalisation of the Scheldt, Meuse and Rhine), especially as even while Netherlands were neutrals, many tought it as a pro-German neutrality altough compensation at the expense of Germany in Frisia or Gelder were proposed.

More nationalist concerns, aiming at annexing it along with Limburg did factor in but played a lesser role, even while French political and diplomatic circles were roughly fine at supporting these claims (as well as a Belgian annexation of Luxemburg) as well should they be advanced.

I get why they'd want it.

I don't get why they'd get it.

I get why they'd want it.

I don't get why they'd get it.

On top of my mind, (keeping in mind this is just a map where elements are picked and placed because it looks fun, even if it was with some basic historical basis).

The broad idea is that France have a bit more weight in the peace settlement ITTL, and while British government was okay-ish with the Belgian claim in Zeeland as long Belgium committed back to strict neutrality, this situation might lead to some concession on this regard to keep the country being aligned too much with France and more along a dual influence from both London and Paris.
Eventually, a slightly longer war could as well mean a lengthier presence of retreating German armies trough Dutch territory and giving just enough popular support for the idea of an aforementioned exchange (arguably, possibly trough colonial compromises).

Of course, that would hardly bode well for political stability in the region, but on the other hand, the whole situation is unstable at best : I don't think there's much way for the Rhineland petty-states (which IMO are much more on the "what" end of the spectrum) to be accepted by the population, not have a strong nationalist drive, not force France to invest way too much forces and resources abroad for a dubious diplomatic gain (making it akin to a certain set of "petty-states acknowledged only by the supporting imperialist power they're bordering" that existed up to a week or so)

Last edited:
On top of my mind, (keeping in mind this is just a map where elements are picked and placed because it looks fun, even if it was with some basic historical basis).

The broad idea is that France have a bit more weight in the peace settlement ITTL, and while British government was okay-ish with the Belgian claim in Zeeland as long Belgium committed back to strict neutrality, this situation might lead to some concession on this regard to keep the country being aligned too much with France and more along a dual influence from both London and Paris.
Eventually, a slightly longer war could as well mean a lengthier presence of retreating German armies trough Dutch territory and giving just enough popular support for the idea of an aforementioned exchange (arguably, possibly trough colonial compromises).

Of course, that would hardly bode well for political stability in the region, but on the other hand, the whole situation is unstable at best : I don't think there's much way for the Rhineland petty-states (which IMO are much more on the "what" end of the spectrum) to be accepted by the population, not have a strong nationalist drive, not force France to invest way too much forces and resources abroad for a dubious diplomatic gain (making it akin to a certain set of "petty-states acknowledged only by the supporting imperialist power they're bordering" that existed up to a week or so)

The Rhineland is a much stupider idea from France because it makes no sense without constant effort to maintain and will never be normalized. But at least it's imposed on a defeated enemy rather than a neutral third party. So I think it's more likely to happen even if it's less likely to work out.

Something not very fancy, part of a broader project on continuous ongoing/halted flip involving altitude, rivers and ancient/medieval coastline for historical and allohistorical purposes.

I'm sort of unhappy with the result, but I'm not sure if vectorizing is worth the headache I had with exporting from QGIS and repetitively failing to end up with a .svg file before exporting (and cleaning, my god a lot of cleaning) on paint.net

As always, you're welcome to point inconsistencies or mistakes on the map (a representation of the historical situation in this case) or on the legend.

65GAULEN.png

Last edited:
Back