• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

Charles EP M.

Published by SLP
Baen shut down its discussion forum yesterday, over concerns that some of the stuff posted in it crossed the line into legally actionable hate speech.
Finding out Kratman was saying "Trump should form his own party and also an attached militia so the police & army know they'll be shot at if they mess with it" was... not surprising at all, really. The bit where he says "and those violent blacks & hispanics should be the front-line shocktroops" did catch me out though

Hendryk

Nothing ever ends
Published by SLP
Finding out Kratman was saying "Trump should form his own party and also an attached militia so the police & army know they'll be shot at if they mess with it" was... not surprising at all, really. The bit where he says "and those violent blacks & hispanics should be the front-line shocktroops" did catch me out though
It's less surprising when you see that his reasoning is that law enforcement wouldn't dare stop them, because as we all know the police is incredibly lenient with non-white protesters.

Hendryk

Nothing ever ends
Published by SLP
Oh yeah, it's just "we should recruit THOSE people for the front because they're so inherently good at being violent" is not a thing I've come across in militia rants before
One is reminded of how early 20th-century European powers considered some of their colonial subjects "martial races" and used them accordingly as cannon fodder.

xsampa

Ad Astra per Aspera is annoying for the following reasons (besides the 1984 in Space Elements) :
  • several more centuries of colonialism in Africa and Asia, and the American conquest of South America after the American conquest of parts of Africa/Asia (even though Brazil could well develop nukes)
  • The American Empire having 1950s culture when a US which didn't participate in *WW1 and only really mobilized in *WW2 would have a very different culture
  • the Soviet Union, Henry Ford etc. appearing well after the POD
  • the Ottomans surviving to *WW2 not affecting a lot of things (*Soviet Central Asia, Israel, Pakistan etc.)
  • The effects of Russia's victory in the R-J war never being fleshed out, smaller things like the Second Balkan Wars too

Last edited:

Creekmench

A shade of indigo
Pronouns
He/him
Ad Astra per Aspera is annoying for the following reasons (besides the 1984 in Space Elements) :
  • several more centuries of colonialism in Africa and Asia, and the American conquest of South America after the American conquest of parts of Africa/Asia (even though Brazil could well develop nukes)
  • The American Empire having 1950s culture when a US which didn't participate in *WW1 and only really mobilized in *WW2 would have a very different culture
  • the Ottomans surviving to *WW2 not affecting a lot of things (*Soviet Central Asia, Israel, Pakistan etc.)
  • The effects of Russia's victory in the R-J war never being fleshed out, smaller things like the Second Balkan Wars too
Yeah, my issue with Rvbomally's work is that they both blend together and are almost always dystopic. I don't know why, but that's my feeling on it.

xsampa

Yeah, my issue with Rvbomally's work is that they both blend together and are almost always dystopic. I don't know why, but that's my feeling on it.
vivere Militare Est somehow has all of mainland India lost, and most of Africa- and even with the Nazis and Imperial Japanese around, the American far right (outside of the Klan) doesn’t feature as an actual occultist threat (William Dudley Pelley or an occultist *American-fascist group)

Also, TTL’s culture/society was never really explored

Last edited:

theev

Las Vegas is a society of armed masturbators
Pronouns
he/him
How about how the POD for his ~spooky, dystopian~ TL is literally the implementation of Radical Reconstruction.

SpanishSpy

How about how the POD for his ~spooky, dystopian~ TL is literally the implementation of Radical Reconstruction.
Well, that's a big red flag right there.
I read that TL years ago and for a time corresponded with rvbomally a fair bit. If memory serves, the chain of logic is not "black people getting rights -> space dystopia."

Rather his emphasis is on the fact that in order to achieve radical reconstruction the US government must use the Army to a much greater extent than it did in OTL. This leads to the military having a much larger role in American politics, eventually becoming something akin to a Latin American military junta. It is this much more authoritarian country that becomes a world power by that universe’s version of the Cold War.

I’m certain the more knowledgeable could poke holes in that logic, and there’s a fair argument that it’s problematic, but I never got the impression it was a deliberately racist screed.