• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

Ah, I had mercifully forgotten that one. That's the one where the northern leadership began every morning with a communal bowl of lead paint chips for breakfast, right?

Yup. Where they did things like miss the Governor of Maryland preparing his militia troops to attack federal positions.

And then after that happened, somehow made the same mistake in Missouri.

A world where Lincoln had apparently suffered several blows to the head prior to becoming president.

He clearly seems to have looked into the "It can happen here" podcast but missed the whole point of the fucking work, and warped it all to fit his worldview. Pretty sad considering how good the podcast was.
never heard of that before, listened to the first episode, and it's pretty cool! good stuff dude

Been listening to that podcast Japhy mentioned - now I'm really wishing there was a good TL about a 2nd American Civil War out there.
I've literally been thinking about Police patrols on the interstates with Bearcats since he mentioned that.

Also you're going to love his other show, Behind the Bastards.

I've literally been thinking about Police patrols on the interstates with Bearcats since he mentioned that.

Also you're going to love his other show, Behind the Bastards.
The Autonomous City of Portland getting bombed to hell and back by drones of all things is such a terrifying and interesting idea, there's a lot of great material in there (really the only problem I have with the pod is that he seems sincerely convinced that there's going to be a civil war which is pretty dumb, but OTOH it's not that big of an issue).

I might check it out soon, this has been A1 so far.

The Autonomous City of Portland getting bombed to hell and back by drones of all things is such a terrifying and interesting idea, there's a lot of great material in there (really the only problem I have with the pod is that he seems sincerely convinced that there's going to be a civil war which is pretty dumb, but OTOH it's not that big of an issue).

I might check it out soon, this has been A1 so far.
I think he's right tbh. Especially that for some folks it's already started.

I think he's right tbh. Especially that for some folks it's already started.
Well there's always been nutcases thinking that the next bloody civil conflict is just about to happen going back to the 50's, and nothing this guy has actually said so far has successfully made the case that a civil war will actually happen. He's great on going in on what an American civil war would look like, however, which is the focus of the show so that's good.

Fair enough. I made an assumption that was unjustified, which was wrong.

That said, I've come across altogether too many: "It's going to be a civil war" type reports that have clearly been written by someone without a clue. Apparently not in this case.
I'd personally recommend it, and while I am far from any expert on civil wars, it was well-researched and put together - a fair chunk of the first episode is pushing against the idea that a second civil war would be like the first, e.g. a group of states collectively deciding to just secede instead of beginning like the Syrian Civil War did.

1 Confederate is equal to 10 Damyankees.

Confederate Will is superior to Northern Steel.

The Boche will recoil in the face of our élan and the famed Furia francese. Why, every night our boys are polishing their bayonet and lovingly calling them Rosalie as they go to sleep.

Curiously, I'm just writing up an article on the French Army mutiny of 1917.

I was more thinking of 1914 and the 1915 Champagne offensives which even more murderous, but it works too. 1917 was more the straw that broke the camel’s back, as I understand it.

He even warns you up front that this timeline is going to be a cruel and awful scourge—that’s literally the title of the damn thing. (When an author uses the phrase “Democrat Party” twelve times in the same paragraph, you know you’re in for a steaming heap of biased hackery). That being said, a few posts down, the tone of the narrative gets oddly anti-Republican and anti-Trump. It’s explicitly stated that the Republican Party becomes dominated by white supremacist figures during the 2030s, and Trump is specifically named as one of those figures. The author even commits the cardinal sin of criticizing the Founding Fathers for incorporating racist ideals into the US body politic.

One might assume that this infodump is intended to be an unreliable narrator of sorts (it comes from the so-called “Euro News Network”, after all, and we all know what godless heathens those Europeans are). But that same voice also suggests a decline in marriage rates, government handouts and the cowardice of Democratic Congressional leaders as causes for the conflict, so I can’t quite tell if this interpretation of the Second Civil War is meant to be from the author’s own political viewpoint, or from that of the ludicrous left. I also don’t care enough to find out, but it’s definitely a bit confusing.

I also don’t care enough to find out, but it’s definitely a bit confusing.

For both of Greenhorn's TL's (although I mainly only read the first one), I'd say it's a mix of two main things. The first is an inherently dubious premise, magnified considerably by it being told as a "history" and not as a story. The second is a very clunky attempt to be "evenhanded", let down by both the authors bias and lack of skill.

Back