• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Least favorite alt-history story?

It's New Deal Coalition Retained. It's basically a nonsensical Conservative-wank. MLK ends supporting a compromise with segregationists, because reasons.

And Neo-Inca terrorists that practice human sacrifice. Never mind that human sacrifice was more of a Mesoamerican thing and the Inca didn’t really do a whole lot of it.

A summary for those who don't know. The U.K. intervenes in the ACW for the Confederacy over the Trent Affair by accidentally invading the Confederacy. Union and Confederate forces unite to face the new threat. Few books later... American steam tanks in London. And all the characters talk in newspaper headlines.
Bizarrely, Turtledove and Dreyfuss thanked Harrison for his advice in designing the North American Union in "The Two Georges", which is just as absurdly big a (cultural) Britwank as S&S is an Ameriwank. Maybe Harrison just likes wanks, no matter who's doing them.

Or my first ATL on AH.com. which had a setting of 2011 and POD of 1916, Perfectly reversed Germany and Britain, Moseley as Hitler, Billy Bragg and Nick Griffin in "North Berlin" which was communist enclave of London within the the democratic South UK IIRC (the soviet Union invaded from Norway IIRC too because I thought I was smart for having "the Northern Front" ) oh and *ahem* Female President Obama, not saying that was female Barack or President Michelle. Wow.
My first AH involved the British Empire as a stand-in for the USSR except with Cromwellite Puritanism taking the place of Communism, France divided with an East and West Paris, the Confederacy having won the US Civil War with help from the Spanish Empire, and the world's dominant hyperpower is the Abbasid Caliphate.

I was sensible enough not to post any of this.

My first AH involved the British Empire as a stand-in for the USSR except with Cromwellite Puritanism taking the place of Communism, France divided with an East and West Paris, the Confederacy having won the US Civil War with help from the Spanish Empire, and the world's dominant hyperpower is the Abbasid Caliphate.

I was sensible enough not to post any of this.

My first AH map features the Ottoman Empire winning at Vienna and literally conquering the entire continent before losing most of it to a massive revolt in the 20th Century.

It was not very well thought through.

I am still sad the Statue of Liberty is scripted to be destroyed in RA II. She's, like, the only American symbol I have affection for and it's nothing to do with patriotism.

You would dislike RA3 even more in that case, in the Soviet campaign you have to make it happen.

You would dislike RA3 even more in that case, in the Soviet campaign you have to make it happen.
You do that in the opening Soviet mission of RA2 as well.

Of course in RA2 (I think on a New York skirmish map not a mission) you can garrison and destroy the WTC. Despite the fact that they took it off the cover of the game for obvious reasons when 9/11 happened.

You do that in the opening Soviet mission of RA2 as well.

Of course in RA2 (I think on a New York skirmish map not a mission) you can garrison and destroy the WTC. Despite the fact that they took it off the cover of the game for obvious reasons when 9/11 happened.
It is a mission. Early on in the Soviet campaign. You have to throw up a psychic beacon between the towers. But garrison, don't destroy. Much more effective defence.

I remember that box. Either the towers had an explosion between them or one had a chunk taken out.

As for the most "..." comment about the World Trade Center's future I recall from childhood, I'd nominate a line in passing in David Macaulay's Unbuilding, which focuses on the demolition of the Empire State Building so it can be rebuilt in Saudi Arabia (don't ask). The planner off this scheme is a Saudi prince who got really rich from oil. Some New Yorkers offer him the World Trade Center towers instead. The prince refuses, set on the ESB, but says he'd be willing to tear down the WTC as a goodwill gesture.

A Saudi oil baron demolishing the World Trade Center as a goodwill gesture.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I remember that box. Either the towers had an explosion between them or one had a chunk taken out.

As for the most "..." comment about the World Trade Center's future I recall from childhood, I'd nominate a line in passing in David Macaulay's Unbuilding, which focuses on the demolition of the Empire State Building so it can be rebuilt in Saudi Arabia (don't ask). The planner off this scheme is a Saudi prince who got really rich from oil. Some New Yorkers offer him the World Trade Center towers instead. The prince refuses, set on the ESB, but says he'd be willing to tear down the WTC as a goodwill gesture.

A Saudi oil baron demolishing the World Trade Center as a goodwill gesture.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeep.
Still not as 'mmmmhhhh' as that bit from the X-Men comics of the 80s where a girl from (an alternate, bad) future sees 1980s New York and has a flashback to 'the WTC crashing down in flames'.

As an aside... (alternate) history, Star Trek, science fiction, comics, video games, writing...

@Thande , I am in absolute awe of your geekery and bow to your superiority.

Wait what about that mirror universe star trek game? That was pretty bad plot-wise

Back