• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

"Invasion literature" after a German WWI Victory?

MAC161

Published by SLP
As probably a lot of people here know, the genre of "invasion literature" (centered mainly on "What if England is invaded by a continental power" ideas, but with offshoots around the world and continuing in different forms to the present) saw its height during the period 1870s-1914, taking off after the publication of The Battle of Dorking in 1871. In the case of Britain, this genre gradually came to focus on Germany as the main threat, significantly influencing the former's national and foreign policy and, arguably, aiding in the push to WWI.

My question is this: If Germany had somehow pulled off a victory in WWI (Schlieffen Plan works, Allies or Russia are slower to move, or whatever scenario you can think of) and ended up dominating Europe in fact as well as fiction, what would this have led to with "invasion literature," and its popularity & plots/themes?

A lot depends on how Europe would look in the aftermath of a German victory, or at least a situation where France and Russia are forced to terms in the first few months to a year, and Britain has no foothold on the Continent. Germany pulling off a Sealion-type operation in the 1910s feels even less plausible than in 1940, yet the possibility is there for a much larger military and naval presence on the North Sea coast (how big/likely, I don't know, having come across only the draft ideas in the Septemberprogramm, and the theoretical map from the "What-If" collection) and constant skirmishes over colonies in Africa, thus perhaps keeping fears of invasion at a fever pitch in Britain.

How might the literature built around these fears have fared or changed, in a defeated/tensely stalemated Britain and around the world?

I think the invasion genre would wax and wane with international tensions. I just can't see a lot of inherently shallow works being sustained for a long time, WWI defeat or not. It wouldn't be crushed the way that OTL WWI crushed it for several decades, but I'm seeing it fizzling out like the related technothriller did after 1991 and 2001.

Might be an interesting surge of German invasion tales about how some political development in Berlin will lead to the British Empire or America landing on the beaches to shatter the Kaiserreich

Getting an image of just such a story: Some crank German author writes of a combined British-American landing in Imperial Germany-occupied Pas-de-Calais, "rousing" the French from their weakened post-WWI state and sweeping on to Berlin. The book proves enormously popular among lovers of cheap thriller fiction, is viewed with tolerant amusement or scornful dismissiveness by the majority of the public and the seemingly unbeatable Imperial military and family--and sets off a storm in the UK and US over their strategy (similar to one in our time, just entering its final stages in this story) apparently being exposed, with a war-producing crisis perhaps soon to follow...

Back