• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Independent Alawite State

Ricardolindo

What if the French had not integrated the Alawite State in Syria and it became an independent state? This would leave Syria landlocked. What would the Alawite State look like? It's worth noting that Latakia, for example, was mostly Sunni at the time while the Alawites inhabited the countryside. The Sunnis and the Christians were landowners and the Alawites lived in their land. I suspect the Alawite State would be more Francophile than rump Syria. It would probably still he hostile towards Israel, though.

I don't see why it would be hostile towards Israel. They share a common enemy (Syria) who would be intent on conquering them, and the Alawites would have little interest in Pan-Arabism. Their relations with Israel would be akin to Lebanon's pre-Civil War.

The Alawite State would probably have contentious land reform politics. If the Alawite State seeks continued ties to France, I suspect there would even be French bases in the country.

I don't see why it would be hostile towards Israel. They share a common enemy (Syria) who would be intent on conquering them, and the Alawites would have little interest in Pan-Arabism. Their relations with Israel would be akin to Lebanon's pre-Civil War.

The Alawite State would probably have contentious land reform politics. If the Alawite State seeks continued ties to France, I suspect there would even be French bases in the country.
Something similar to Maronite politics then?

Back