• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Imperial Japan in the Worldwar Series

GBW

In Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series, the Empire of Japan is the only one of the "Big Five", or the major nations of OTL's Allies and Axis, combatting the invasion of the Race who lacks a POV character, aside from the imprisonment of a Race killercraft pilot and tangential references from Chinese POV characters. Turtledove, when asked about it, admitted that it was because he knew little of Imperial Japan at the time, something he tried to remedy later with his Days of Infamy series.

I've thought about the effects of the events of the Worldwar series and OTL and how things would play out for Imperial Japan in that ATL. The primary mover of events, and a possible POV character, I would think would be Isoroku Yamamoto, the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, and mastermind behind the strike at Pearl Harbor. He studied at Harvard University, had two postings as naval attaché in Washington, DC, and spoke fluent English. He opposed the invasions of Manchuria and China, apologized personally to the US ambassador for the USS Panay incident, and also opposed the Tripartite Pact with Germany and Italy. He was an old opponent of the militarists in the Army and government, including wartime Prime Minister Hideki Tojo, and received a lot of hate mail and death threats, but he remained very popular with the Navy and had close relations with the imperial family. He opposed war with the United States, but planned it for the best chance at victory when the government was determined with its course to pursue it.

With the invasion of the Race on May 30, 1942 cutting off the Battle of Midway before it could begin, the world would politically become a far more comfortable place for Yamamoto with the Allies and Axis suddenly thrown into the same side against the alien invasion. One of the early actions mentioned are aircraft carriers and battleships attacking Race starships landed near the Chinese coast, presumably Japanese, that lead the Race to immediately start targeting capital ships around the world; a later observation notes that the US Navy had dispersed their Atlantic vessels throughout the ports of the eastern seaboard to prevent the Race from doing too much damage. Meanwhile, the Imperial Japanese Army is quickly overrun in occupied China, while they put up a more stout defense with the Kwantung Army in their puppet Manchukuo, though its alluded that this won't last too much longer in the face of the Race's technological superiority compared to the sparse mechanization of the IJA, and with the fall of Harbin in late 1942.

Yamamoto was very much a forward thinking officer, changing his specialization from gunnery to naval aviation in 1924, as well as opposing the building of the battleships Yamato and Musashi as a waste of resources. In OTL, he also started a project that would end up benefiting Japan in this ATL. Right after Pearl Harbor, he conceived the idea of taking the war to the American mainland via submarine-launched aircraft that resulted in a proposal in mid-January 1942 - the Sentoku type submarine, or the I-400-class submarine. In OTL, 18 were planned but construction was slow and, after Yamamoto was assassinated by the US Army, reduced to just 5, of which only 3 were completed by the end of the war. With surface capital ships being destroyed by the Race, the I-400 would become the IJN's ace-in-the-hole against them for strikes against coastal positions and would likely see construction sped up as new surface carriers and battleships are canceled. When the Race later starts targeting merchant shipping, the I-400s would also be ideal cargo submarines for transporting cargo and people between the human allies.

Also in OTL, the Japanese military attaché in Germany witnessed the trials of the Messerschmitt Me 262 in 1942 and the IJN ordered a similar aircraft, but progress was slow because they had little to go on besides photographs and a cutaway drawing of the BMW 003 turbojet engine. The Nakajima Kikka only had its first test flight the day after Hiroshima was bombed, far too late to have any impact. In this ATL, however, the Allies and Axis are all actively exchanging technology to help each other better resist the Race - the US giving their bazooka anti-tank rocket to Germany in exchange for their long range rocket tech, Britain giving radar tech to the USSR, etc. With them all on the same side, it's quite probable that Germany would be able to send far more complete diagrams and such to Japan, especially without the Allies trying to interdict such exchanges. With Race killercraft regularly bombing the Home Islands, the IJN under Yamamoto - who presumably wouldn't be assassinated in this ATL - would readily pursue a jet aircraft to try and combat them as Germany and Britain do. As Germany pursues its more advanced panzers and jets more quickly in this TL to try and catch up to the Race, I could see the Kikka beginning development in 1942 and beginning flights in 1944 in time for the final stages of the war against the Race.

Post-war, the IJN and Yamamoto's positions would be far stronger than the Army's. The militarists of the Army, embodied in the Kwantung Army that conquered Manchuria without government approval in the 1930s, opposed technological development in place of pursuing bushido, the way of the warrior and fighting spirit. That Kwantung Army has now been destroyed in Manchukuo and Korea as the Race overran them, and the IJA liaisons with Japan's atomic bomb project fouled up their handling of their Race prisoner to the extent that Tokyo got destroyed by an alien nuke. Meanwhile, the IJN will have developed the first jet aircraft to try and fight the Race's killercraft, and their I-400s would be immune to Race attacks while launching their own attacks and transporting cargo and personnel. The Army would likely realize their mistake and try to catch up technologically, but the Navy under Yamamoto has a large head start. I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese atomic bomb project that finally made Imperial Japan a nuclear power in the 1960s was under the auspices of the IJN, as well as any space program.

I've never really understood the dichotomy that Japan's the only country that doesn't get the Bomb in the 1940s yet still somehow holds onto its entire 1942-era conquests (except the Japanese-occupied parts of China). Granted there's the whole thing about the Race not caring about islands, but it still seems a bit weird considering they invaded Britain. (Also, the maps in the front of the Colonisation books are probably inaccurate, I can't imagine Turtledove intended them to show Indochina was still randomly Japanese and bordering Race territory!)

I've never really understood the dichotomy that Japan's the only country that doesn't get the Bomb in the 1940s yet still somehow holds onto its entire 1942-era conquests (except the Japanese-occupied parts of China). Granted there's the whole thing about the Race not caring about islands, but it still seems a bit weird considering they invaded Britain. (Also, the maps in the front of the Colonisation books are probably inaccurate, I can't imagine Turtledove intended them to show Indochina was still randomly Japanese and bordering Race territory!)
The Race had intended to invade Japan after a successful invasion of Britain and primarily did it to knock them out as an opponent both to increase their chances of overrunning Germany and to make up face after their spearhead towards Moscow was destroyed by the first Soviet nuke, and after Straha defected to the United States with the Conquest Fleet's immediate plans in hand. The British being one of two nations opposing them with jet aircraft at the time and spiriting individuals away from Race-occupied territory to speak against them over the BBC radio services in London also put that particular bullseye on them. Britain was the first time the Race attempted to militarily occupy any islands on Earth, with the possible exceptions of Madagascar and Ceylon/Sri Lanka, which for some odd reason are the only major islands to be occupied by the Race. It's possible that Madagascar was surrendered to the Race by Vichy France after they were overrun in 1942, and since the rest of Africa was also being overrun by the Race at the time there probably wasn't much anyone could do to contest any Race forces just landing in Madagascar by air and taking over.

Ceylon is a more confusing case since it was a major base for British operations in the Eastern Theatre, and most of the Marxists opposing the war fled to mainland India after Japan bombed Colombo in April 1942, just before the Race's invasion, so there was little internal discord to try and invite the Race in as happened with Poland against the Germans. It's possible it was occupied by the Race after peace was established with the USA, Germany and the USSR, as it was expressly stated that neither Britain nor Japan were full parties to those talks, and Britain probably used Ceylon as a base to harass Race forces in India. But then that doesn't explain why Japan's conquests remained free, though its possible that their active resistance remained focused on Korea, mainland China and mainland southeast Asia. The island nations of the Caribbean and New Zealand also remained free of Race control after the war, and they allowed colder nations like Canada, Sweden and Finland to remain free despite their remaining unassociated politically with either the USA or Germany's Axis.

It seems to me that Britain eventually just abandoned Ceylon after the war as it was interdicted by the Race's control of the Suez Canal and all of Africa, and none of the nuclear human powers were in a position to try and occupy it or prop up an independent Sri Lanka. Japan had a much closer, and less interdicted, line of supply to their island conquests through the Pacific and the South China Sea. Why the Bahamas and Jamaica also gained their independence before they did in OTL seems odd, but it may be that Britain just didn't have the will to hold onto them after losing the rest of the empire in such a fashion. Or it could be that the West Indies Federation was actually successful in this ATL, also including the Bahamas, due to the omnipresent threat of the Race quashing internal rivalries and remains affiliated with Britain but not under their direct control.

I think the whole Indochina thing was intended to showcase how bad that territory would be for the Race to campaign in, with its numerous rivers and dense vegetation - basically the things that made it difficult for the USA to campaign there during the Vietnam War, and Turtledove is a child of that era. The Race, already stretched thin trying to occupy a global empire after their heavier than expected combat losses, probably eventually gave up on trying to conquer Indochina as being both too difficult and too wet to be comfortable for settlement by the Colonization Fleet.

In Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series, the Empire of Japan is the only one of the "Big Five", or the major nations of OTL's Allies and Axis, combatting the invasion of the Race who lacks a POV character, aside from the imprisonment of a Race killercraft pilot and tangential references from Chinese POV characters. Turtledove, when asked about it, admitted that it was because he knew little of Imperial Japan at the time, something he tried to remedy later with his Days of Infamy series.

I've thought about the effects of the events of the Worldwar series and OTL and how things would play out for Imperial Japan in that ATL. The primary mover of events, and a possible POV character, I would think would be Isoroku Yamamoto, the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, and mastermind behind the strike at Pearl Harbor. He studied at Harvard University, had two postings as naval attaché in Washington, DC, and spoke fluent English. He opposed the invasions of Manchuria and China, apologized personally to the US ambassador for the USS Panay incident, and also opposed the Tripartite Pact with Germany and Italy. He was an old opponent of the militarists in the Army and government, including wartime Prime Minister Hideki Tojo, and received a lot of hate mail and death threats, but he remained very popular with the Navy and had close relations with the imperial family. He opposed war with the United States, but planned it for the best chance at victory when the government was determined with its course to pursue it.

The problem with Yamamoto imo, is yes he had the ire of the Army, but I would not go as far to whitewash him as not being onboard with the imperialistic projects of Japan. Japan did alternate in how aggressive or passive it's ambitions where. That, and I wouldn't paint the Navy as pacifistic either, Japan's intended war with China was right up the army's alley, when the war expanded it went that for places that were right up the Navy's alley.

Also I feel you should use someone else for a POV character if you can hash it.

But as to the Worldwar series, I haven't read it, but from the sounds of things it's another WW2 AH were Imperial Japan just exists in the background as some other to the exclusion of the Europeans and Americans, which means you may or may not have a difficult task in front of you.

With the invasion of the Race on May 30, 1942 cutting off the Battle of Midway before it could begin, the world would politically become a far more comfortable place for Yamamoto with the Allies and Axis suddenly thrown into the same side against the alien invasion. One of the early actions mentioned are aircraft carriers and battleships attacking Race starships landed near the Chinese coast, presumably Japanese, that lead the Race to immediately start targeting capital ships around the world; a later observation notes that the US Navy had dispersed their Atlantic vessels throughout the ports of the eastern seaboard to prevent the Race from doing too much damage. Meanwhile, the Imperial Japanese Army is quickly overrun in occupied China, while they put up a more stout defense with the Kwantung Army in their puppet Manchukuo, though its alluded that this won't last too much longer in the face of the Race's technological superiority compared to the sparse mechanization of the IJA, and with the fall of Harbin in late 1942.

Yamamoto was very much a forward thinking officer, changing his specialization from gunnery to naval aviation in 1924, as well as opposing the building of the battleships Yamato and Musashi as a waste of resources. In OTL, he also started a project that would end up benefiting Japan in this ATL. Right after Pearl Harbor, he conceived the idea of taking the war to the American mainland via submarine-launched aircraft that resulted in a proposal in mid-January 1942 - the Sentoku type submarine, or the I-400-class submarine. In OTL, 18 were planned but construction was slow and, after Yamamoto was assassinated by the US Army, reduced to just 5, of which only 3 were completed by the end of the war. With surface capital ships being destroyed by the Race, the I-400 would become the IJN's ace-in-the-hole against them for strikes against coastal positions and would likely see construction sped up as new surface carriers and battleships are canceled. When the Race later starts targeting merchant shipping, the I-400s would also be ideal cargo submarines for transporting cargo and people between the human allies.

The problem with the Sentoku is, Japan didn't really have either the resources or ability to go use them, it was something of a wunderwaffe. Especially because Japan never really went to war with an idea of what victory looked like, because the Second Sino-Japanese War was less a planned war, and more like shenanigans ensured, and mutual escalation breaks out. It gets even worse when try to factor in any goals for the Pacific War on top of that, where the plan was defend vital resources that are needed to win in China, win in China, try and get the Allies to sue for peace.

The Sentoku as a workable vessel requires asking the question how can the largest submarine before ballistic missile submarines, actually get built and put in a workable situation when the Japanese Empire is going to hell?

Also in OTL, the Japanese military attaché in Germany witnessed the trials of the Messerschmitt Me 262 in 1942 and the IJN ordered a similar aircraft, but progress was slow because they had little to go on besides photographs and a cutaway drawing of the BMW 003 turbojet engine. The Nakajima Kikka only had its first test flight the day after Hiroshima was bombed, far too late to have any impact. In this ATL, however, the Allies and Axis are all actively exchanging technology to help each other better resist the Race - the US giving their bazooka anti-tank rocket to Germany in exchange for their long range rocket tech, Britain giving radar tech to the USSR, etc. With them all on the same side, it's quite probable that Germany would be able to send far more complete diagrams and such to Japan, especially without the Allies trying to interdict such exchanges. With Race killercraft regularly bombing the Home Islands, the IJN under Yamamoto - who presumably wouldn't be assassinated in this ATL - would readily pursue a jet aircraft to try and combat them as Germany and Britain do. As Germany pursues its more advanced panzers and jets more quickly in this TL to try and catch up to the Race, I could see the Kikka beginning development in 1942 and beginning flights in 1944 in time for the final stages of the war against the Race.

Post-war, the IJN and Yamamoto's positions would be far stronger than the Army's. The militarists of the Army, embodied in the Kwantung Army that conquered Manchuria without government approval in the 1930s, opposed technological development in place of pursuing bushido, the way of the warrior and fighting spirit. That Kwantung Army has now been destroyed in Manchukuo and Korea as the Race overran them, and the IJA liaisons with Japan's atomic bomb project fouled up their handling of their Race prisoner to the extent that Tokyo got destroyed by an alien nuke. Meanwhile, the IJN will have developed the first jet aircraft to try and fight the Race's killercraft, and their I-400s would be immune to Race attacks while launching their own attacks and transporting cargo and personnel. The Army would likely realize their mistake and try to catch up technologically, but the Navy under Yamamoto has a large head start. I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese atomic bomb project that finally made Imperial Japan a nuclear power in the 1960s was under the auspices of the IJN, as well as any space program.

What you have to realize with the Japanese military, their doctrine of spirit was because of a lack of resources, to put this squarely on the army is something I would be very very careful about doing. At worst it comes off as an unintentional clean Wehrmacht of the IJN, at best it's just ignorant of some of the struggles of the Japanese military in general. The thing with militaries and their doctrines is they develop based off needs and resources, expecting the IJA and IJN to magically adopting technology and become like the 'superior' British or Germans doesn't take it's natural evolution into account. How technology is implemented, if it can be implemented, and were does it fit within the existing strengths or needs of the current military.

Like I don't think this is a bad idea, but you have to do lots of legwork to make up for what I would say is a really common flaw of most if not all WW2 AH. Also don't forget to talk about the areas conquered by the Japan and the fact Japan hasn't set all of it's good will on fire in the areas outside of China. Hell maybe you could considering talking about China as well?

The problem with the Sentoku is, Japan didn't really have either the resources or ability to go use them, it was something of a wunderwaffe. Especially because Japan never really went to war with an idea of what victory looked like, because the Second Sino-Japanese War was less a planned war, and more like shenanigans ensured, and mutual escalation breaks out. It gets even worse when try to factor in any goals for the Pacific War on top of that, where the plan was defend vital resources that are needed to win in China, win in China, try and get the Allies to sue for peace.

The Sentoku as a workable vessel requires asking the question how can the largest submarine before ballistic missile submarines, actually get built and put in a workable situation when the Japanese Empire is going to hell?
In the Worldwar series, there is an alien invasion that has banded every nation on Earth together in the middle of WW2, before the turning points at Stalingrad and Midway. Japan has no military pressure from the USA or the Commonwealth, and the aliens - the Race - are a reptilian race from a desert planet so they have no inkling of the importance of islands on Earth, or any great desire to go after pieces of land surrounded by water. This, ironically, probably leaves Japan in a better position than any of the other Allies or Axis, as they majority of their newly conquered southern resource area is unscathed except for aerial bombing, though the loss of Manchuria and Korea's industry will definitely hurt them. Additionally, the world's surface navies have been rendered practically useless as the Race started targeting them after the IJN demonstrated how dangerous they could be as seaborne artillery and airfield platforms. Without them, the IJN only has submarines - including the Sentoku - as vessels that can be used as they're practically invulnerable to attack from the desert-dwelling Race. The series shows the British and Germans still using their submarines to positive effect. Dumping any new construction of battleships and carriers they pursued in OTL puts those same resources into the Sentoku submarines in this ATL.
What you have to realize with the Japanese military, their doctrine of spirit was because of a lack of resources, to put this squarely on the army is something I would be very very careful about doing. At worst it comes off as an unintentional clean Wehrmacht of the IJN, at best it's just ignorant of some of the struggles of the Japanese military in general. The thing with militaries and their doctrines is they develop based off needs and resources, expecting the IJA and IJN to magically adopting technology and become like the 'superior' British or Germans doesn't take it's natural evolution into account. How technology is implemented, if it can be implemented, and were does it fit within the existing strengths or needs of the current military.
The Race has definitively demonstrated technology like nuclear weapons, jet aircraft, modern tanks, assault rifles, etc, to everyone on Earth. Every human nation able to keep up strong resistance to the Race - basically the Allies and Axis - are pursuing technologies that have been practically demonstrated to work and superior to their current weaponry. Thus the British and Germans pursuing their jets even faster, the Americans getting long range rockets before they did in OTL by exchanging technology with Germany, and Japan likely pursuing the same things they did in OTL except even faster with help from their old and new human allies, as everyone sees that it's in their best interest to keep everyone else fighting and draining the Race's resources away from their own country. For example, the USA in this ATL has invasion forces landed in the continental US and occupying swaths of their territory, the USSR has Race forces occupying sections of the Trans-Siberian Railroad, the British are losing their empire throughout Africa and South Asia and getting no resources from the USA, and Australia is on the verge of complete defeat with alien forces occupying the majority of the Outback.
Hell maybe you could considering talking about China as well?
The Worldwar series already has Chinese viewpoints - Chinese peasants and members of the People's Liberation Army.

Back