• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Grant's 3rd Term?

MAC161

Published by SLP
Re-reading Chernow's biography of U.S. Grant, and while I'm not yet at this point in the timeline, I'm prompted to ask: What if Grant had gained a third term, in either 1876 or 1880?

The first choice seems unlikeliest: Grant's admin was mired by scandals and hampered by the Long Depression following the Panic of 1873; also, the House made its disapproval of a third term clear by resolution the year before, which may have tipped the scales for Grant's decision not to run. I'm less sure about the second: Grant was still personally popular nationwide, and commanded a great deal of support in the GOP (evidenced by how long he held the lead in the 1880 convention balloting), but he was in poorer health, and with Reconstruction effectively "complete" in both policy and the (white) public mind by this point, harkening to his efforts during this era might not have the impact it once did.

Presuming he wins in either election, what's the likeliest course for his policies, on civil rights, currency (esp. with regards to Greenback Party preesure), civil service reform, tariffs, foreign policy and so forth? If it happens in 1876, how much longer does Reconstruction last, in form if not necessarily substance? Would his gaining a third term scuttle the two-term tradition, or maybe lead to an earlier version of the 22nd Amendment to cement it?

At the very least, if he wins in 1880, we might say "pulling/trying for a Grant" regarding non-consecutive terms instead of "a Grover Cleveland", LOL.

Re-reading Chernow's biography of U.S. Grant, and while I'm not yet at this point in the timeline, I'm prompted to ask: What if Grant had gained a third term, in either 1876 or 1880?

The first choice seems unlikeliest: Grant's admin was mired by scandals and hampered by the Long Depression following the Panic of 1873; also, the House made its disapproval of a third term clear by resolution the year before, which may have tipped the scales for Grant's decision not to run. I'm less sure about the second: Grant was still personally popular nationwide, and commanded a great deal of support in the GOP (evidenced by how long he held the lead in the 1880 convention balloting), but he was in poorer health, and with Reconstruction effectively "complete" in both policy and the (white) public mind by this point, harkening to his efforts during this era might not have the impact it once did.

Presuming he wins in either election, what's the likeliest course for his policies, on civil rights, currency (esp. with regards to Greenback Party preesure), civil service reform, tariffs, foreign policy and so forth? If it happens in 1876, how much longer does Reconstruction last, in form if not necessarily substance? Would his gaining a third term scuttle the two-term tradition, or maybe lead to an earlier version of the 22nd Amendment to cement it?

At the very least, if he wins in 1880, we might say "pulling/trying for a Grant" regarding non-consecutive terms instead of "a Grover Cleveland", LOL.
Since Grant died in 1885, he would not run for reelection the previous year, assuming he wins 1880. He would push for a voting rights bill and make greater efforts at civil service reform due to the scandals of his first presidency; I do not know enough about the others to give a reasonable answer.

Since Grant died in 1885, he would not run for reelection the previous year, assuming he wins 1880. He would push for a voting rights bill and make greater efforts at civil service reform due to the scandals of his first presidency; I do not know enough about the others to give a reasonable answer.
These would be interesting developments given that those pushing his candidacy in 1880 were pro-spoils system Stalwarts.

Back