• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Fiction Friction: Box Office Bombshells

I think one of the most interesting things about the lived childhood media experience is just how fast it changes - it not a generational or even a decadal (is that a word) thing - it can almost be an annual thing, one where friends, siblings and parents can have such a massive influence and drive such a different view from people of the same age.
An odd example of this for me is that I think of Bob the Builder as very much a my brother's cohort thing - whilst simultaneously remembering the first episode being broadcast er, before he was born.
Because he got really into it at the point when I was thinking of him as an annoying little brother and so I decided it was now beneath me.
I also remember a very weird conversation where my younger siblings couldn't remember Bodger and Badger due to it having ended before they were beginning, but my significantly older than me cousins could because they'd been in the target audience for the beginning (as a result of which I also discovered that due to my experience of it involving reruns, my idea of what order the series "should" be in is completely wrong - and there is a mysterious series in the middle I have never seen).

I also remember a very weird conversation where my younger siblings couldn't remember Bodger and Badger due to it having ended before they were beginning, but my significantly older than me cousins could because they'd been in the target audience for the beginning (as a result of which I also discovered that due to my experience of it involving reruns, my idea of what order the series "should" be in is completely wrong - and there is a mysterious series in the middle I have never seen).

My memories of the actual show have been overwritten by the time Bodger and Badger were booked at the student union and what felt like a thousand drunk guys were yelling "BAD-GER! BAD-GER!"

My memories of the actual show have been overwritten by the time Bodger and Badger were booked at the student union and what felt like a thousand drunk guys were yelling "BAD-GER! BAD-GER!"

My mother insisted on us going to see Basil Brush live when he was at the Uni my younger sister went to a few years back.

Yes we have a DVD of highlights from the original.

My mother insisted on us going to see Basil Brush live when he was at the Uni my younger sister went to a few years back.

Yes we have a DVD of highlights from the original.
I was just about to bring up how Basil Brush is a great example of a kids' media property who is fondly remembered by two separate generations with a gap in the middle. I think @OwenM has brought up the Incredible Hulk as another example.

Basil Brush
In the early 70s my parents didn't have a telly but my grandparents did and when we visited them, we always watched Basil Brush. Then they got a new telly and that happened to coincide with the end of a Basil Brush season, so the next time we visited there was a new telly and no Basil Brush. Result: a very annoyed little boy who insisted that the old telly should be brought back because that was the one with Basil Brush in it. :D "boom, boom"

Back