• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Eugene McCarthy gets Nomination against Rockefeller and alternate Wallace running mate

Rockefeller opposed bussing, was in favor of law and order policies, was pro-business on matters of regulation, and a Cold War Hawk. He was liberal on the social safety net in the manner of a One Nation Tory or Christian Democrat, and on infrastructure projects (creating union jobs), but would still be plenty palatable for the Southern Moderates and many northern white ethnic voters who broke for Nixon OTL. Rockefeller would likely get a lot of open support from machine democrats.

Wallace would get more of the hardhat vote and the southern vote. He had a better AFL-CIO rating than Humphrey, led among hardhat voters in Chicago at one point IIRC, and was mainly Conservative on the sorts of welfare programs favoring the poor that the working class people principally get worked up over. Wallace also had polled in the low 20s before Curtis LeMay caused half his vote to slip away.

Maybe this.

1689788111028.png

Rockefeller opposed bussing, was in favor of law and order policies, was pro-business on matters of regulation, and a Cold War Hawk. He was liberal on the social safety net in the manner of a One Nation Tory or Christian Democrat, and on infrastructure projects (creating union jobs), but would still be plenty palatable for the Southern Moderates and many northern white ethnic voters who broke for Nixon OTL. Rockefeller would likely get a lot of open support from machine democrats.

Wallace would get more of the hardhat vote and the southern vote. He had a better AFL-CIO rating than Humphrey, led among hardhat voters in Chicago at one point IIRC, and was mainly Conservative on the sorts of welfare programs favoring the poor that the working class people principally get worked up over. Wallace also had polled in the low 20s before Curtis LeMay caused half his vote to slip away.

Maybe this.

View attachment 71155
Rockefellers ties to MLK and the Civil rights movement would probably preclude his support from Southern Moderates.

I thought Humphrey was the AFL-CIO's man.
He was the organization's man, but I read that Wallace had a higher policy score from them. Humphrey hammered Wallace on Alabama right to work laws, but Wallace opposed those laws himself I think.

For what it's worth, I could be wrong. My understanding is that Wallace was a Pro-Labor, Pro-Entitlement, but anti-welfare guy.

Back