• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Effects of User Name Change?

Delta Force

Gone Fishing
If you change your user name does that change it in old posts that have been quoted or do they retain the name at the time the post was quoted?

From what I’ve seen the name in the quote block remains the original name. For example searching for “Youngmarshall” will return quotes of Gary’s posts.

From what I’ve seen the name in the quote block remains the original name. For example searching for “Youngmarshall” will return quotes of Gary’s posts.
That's right, because the user's name is just text, the actual user ID being recorded by the member number. I can alter the username to be anything I want if I do it through the BB code, like how I've changed your name to 'The Poster Above Me Commonly Known as Ncw8' in this quote, and it still links to you because the post and member numbers are still correct.

That's right, because the user's name is just text, the actual user ID being recorded by the member number. I can alter the username to be anything I want if I do it through the BB code, like how I've changed your name to 'The Poster Above Me Commonly Known as Ncw8' in this quote, and it still links to you because the post and member numbers are still correct.

Yes, I used the opposite trick last year to find out who had written the millionth post. Add a quote, set the post number to 1000000, and then see where it linked back to.

Yes, I used the opposite trick last year to find out who had written the millionth post. Add a quote, set the post number to 1000000, and then see where it linked back to.
It can be done directly, too, direct links to any post by number.

That's a link to post number 1283766 just by that number, and it will take you to that post in that thread. It will redirect and load as the full address for that post, with thread name and number and such, but the link works.

Back