• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Ciclavex's Graphics Thread

Ciclavex

Ciclavex Jarl av Nya Sverige
Patreon supporter
Pronouns
he/him
I don't really do a great deal in the way of graphics - it's not my gift, generally - but I do like making a flag or two, and occasionally other things. This is the place for it.

My first attachment is a "poster" that I'm in the midst of reworking from my first draft of Fashions Made Sacred, below appearing in its original form. It's a propaganda poster from the time of the coronation of the new English monarch, Amelia II, featuring the flags of the Boston Consensus - roughly, TTL's version of the Commonwealth of Nations - of which she is ex officio the Chairwoman, and, below, the specific subset of realms of which Amelia II is directly head of state.

There are several flags I've never been completely happy with, as well as the names of a few countries that I've changed since I put this out, as well as, well, wanting to do a better job with the poster itself, beyond just slapping on some Courier New on a neutral color.

I'm open to any suggestions people have for any of my own flags or my own modifications of OTL flags.

JE MAINTIENDRAI - Flags of the Boston Consensus.png

Ciclavex

Patreon supporter
Pronouns
he/him
The second thing I’m going to upload here is an artistic rendering of FMS’ Amelia II’s family tree, including every monarch of the House of Orange in England. It still needs a bit more decoration, I think, and modification to follow TTL English language conventions (including long s @Thande ).

Here’s where it is at this stage, with all of the actual family tree information present and complete (unless there’s an error I haven’t spotted, transposed dates or something).

Family Tree All Stages Complete, Needs Decoration.png

Ciclavex

Patreon supporter
Pronouns
he/him
Esther Lindsey.png

I've gone back to making uniforms, apparently. This is the final draft of a uniform for Fashions Made Sacred, as it would look if hanging off a mannequin -- I am not so bold as to believe I could make a decent human figure otherwise.

This particular uniform is a standard duty uniform of the Royal Defence Forces of the Kingdoms of England, Scotland and Ireland, usually called the English Defence Force or EDF, dressed for parade duty -- that is, with all decoration earned by the soldier or officer in question. On combat duty, no decorations are worn; on standard duty, only the top three-ranking decorations are worn.

This particular uniform belongs to one of my protagonists, Esther Lindsey.

On her sleeves are her rank insignia - two unbroken silver stripes (represented on both the upper and lower arm; the same insignia being repeated rather than part of a continuous insignia) represents a Senior Sergeant in the Ground Force, which is broadly equivalent to the rank of Staff Sergeant in the British Army, the EDF Ground Force's OTL equivalent. On her collar is her assignment, which in this case is a symbol representing her service as a Carolean -- which, ITTL, has evolved in the 20th and 21st century to refer to shock troopers, though in the recent Global War their role began to evolve into an infantry/armor support role as dedicated armor units have taken on the role that caroleans and heavy cavalry once played ITTL military doctrine. These two aspects would be common to any person who served in the Caroleans as a senior sergeant.

The rest of the distinguishing marks on the uniform are unique to Lindsey. The decorations, in descending order, top to bottom, left to right, are as follows:

(Sash) Vaillante femme de l'ordre royal de sainte Geneviève des défenseurs de Paris (Valiant Woman of the Royal Order of Saint Genevieve of the Defenders of Paris); French honour

Gold Cross
Étoile de la valeur (Star of Valour); French honour
Achievement in Service Medal
Silver Crystal
Ivory Crystal (x2)
Bronze Crystal (x2)
Special Unit Citation
Unit Citation (x2)
Honourable Conduct Medal
Soldier's Medal
Soldier's Decoration

Credit to Tonushi on DeviantArt for the original mannequin and Kyuzoaoi, also on DeviantArt, for the feminine variant on Tonushi's original.

Ciclavex

Patreon supporter
Pronouns
he/him
Amelia Ferguson.png

And another one, this is the uniform of one of my other main characters, Lady Amelia Ferguson of Ayrshire.

Her rank insignia are two blue stripes, representing a Field Marshal, which is the highest normal rank in the Ground Force. Because field marshals are at the very height of the hierarchy, her assignment is actually just to be a field marshal, and so her assignment insignia on the collar is the crossed batons of a Field Marshal.

Her decorations, in descending order, are as follows:

Knight Companion of the Order of Saint Andrew
Silver Cross
Ivory Cross
Distinguished Service Medal
King's Meritorious Service Award
Royal Ovation (x2)
Royal Unit Citation
Special Unit Citation (x2)
Mentioned in Despatches (x3)
Unit Citation
Laude (x4)

Credit to same as above.

Ciclavex

Patreon supporter
Pronouns
he/him
Rank insignia, then? Sure, why not.

These aren't for FMS or any particular thing I'm doing, though I was thinking more sci-fi than alternate history when making them --

Hayano rank insignia.png

The idea behind these Officer Insignia is following:

The bottom three ranks are junior officers, relatively recently commissioned, and what they have is a representation of a ribbon, a very basic marking of their position in the service of their country; they earn a second and a third ribbon as they go up in the ranks.

The next three ranks are senior officers; they've got quite a few years in their service, to the point that they've received a proper insignia - a star, which is a basic symbol of "higher" authority. They then proceed to get more stars in the senior officer ranks.

The next category is one of its own - Captaincy, or perhaps Colonelcy in a land force, along those lines. This is a unique rank - they still are expected to be fundamentally in touch with all of the basics of those under their command and authority, but they are also expected to be able to see a bigger picture, and represent the sovereign authority of their nation if it comes down to that. The concept is that that would be the seal or coat of arms of the commissioning state -- so that one is particularly abstract because I liked the idea of a more abstract symbol for a sci-fi-style country, but essentially the idea is that a Captain would have insignia with the Great Seal of the United States, or the Coat of Arms of the United Kingdom, on them because they are the lowest rank that can be said to speak for their sovereign under such circumstances where no other authority is present.

Next are the two types of higher ranks. The first are the "junior" flag or general officers, who are expected to oversee lower officers directly, perhaps as part of a general engagement or fleet action, in three grades; second are the "senior" flag or general officers, who are expected, primarily, to be involved in the background, way behind the lines, making more grand strategic decisions and focusing on the wider theater of operations, being expected not only to pay attention to what's going on in the field, but also to the broader political considerations of their actions on that grand scale.

The ranking structure I came up with for these ranks in a sci-fi style as I conceived of these was, from the top down:

Grand Marshal
Star Marshal
Admiral
Vice-Admiral
Counter-Admiral
Captain
Colonel
Steadholder-Colonel
Major
Steadholder
Steadholder, second class
Ensign
Aspirant (no insignia; just officer uniform)

The mix of officer ranks in a sci-fi/space force representing a sort of merger of Air Force and Navy ranks of multiple different traditions, thus Marshals, Admirals and Majors all in a single hierarchy.

And steadholder instead of lieutenant because that's just fun.

Last edited:

Witch0Winter

Cuddly Cartographer
Patreon supporter
Pronouns
she/her
The mix of officer ranks in a sci-fi/space force representing a sort of merger of Air Force and Navy ranks of multiple different traditions, thus Marshals, Admirals and Majors all in a single hierarchy.

And steadholder instead of lieutenant because that's just fun.
I like these! I think your logic behind them is sound and I like the idea of it being a merger of the Air Force and Navy. Also I like the steadholder bit as well. Good job!

Thande

Vote ██████ First to put ██████ first
Published by SLP
I like these! I think your logic behind them is sound and I like the idea of it being a merger of the Air Force and Navy. Also I like the steadholder bit as well. Good job!
YOU MAY THEREFORE BE INTERESTED IN MY SIG HINT HINT

Great work @Ciclavex. Whilst writing "Well Met" and planning the sequel, I've noticed that it feels as though Air Force ranks becoming the norm for space should be almost the default - which I don't like, because Star Trek etc makes one too used to the Navy. So I've already established in my universe that the argument is entirely because the ESA decided to switch to Navy ranks at one point, and because they're so powerful they get their way even though literally everyone else uses Air Force ranks.

Ciclavex

Patreon supporter
Pronouns
he/him
So I did this for FMS worldbuilding. In OTL parlance, we would call these "roundels" -- military aircraft insignia -- though that word hasn't come into use in TTL for obvious reasons. These are the ones from Europe:

FMS Europe Roundels.png

Like OTL, the driving reason behind the adoption of such insignia was to easily distinguish friend from foe, and so naturally, countries friendly to one another tended to adopt aircraft insignia that resembled one another, leading to two broad traditions -- crystalline insignia and cross insignia, as you can see.

The Osmanli Sultanate - or, as we'd call it, the Ottoman Empire, as it is one and the same - has gone an interesting direction, in that they were aligned with the cross-bearing powers; they've taken a traditional crescent-and-star motif (the modern crescent-and-star flag of the Republic of Turkey, in essence but not in form identical to the historic Ottoman Empire, only dates to the late 18th century after the PoD, but the crescent-and-star has been a symbol of Byzantium and, succeeding it, Constantinople since time immemorial) and made a four-pointed star that resembles, particularly in the chaos of early aerial combat, a cross, but not so much as to overly offend most of the the Osmanli religious establishment.

Roumania, a country broadly friendly to the cross-bearing powers but which directly borders a crystalline-bearing great power and has no intention of provoking them or joining any wars against them (and, indeed, was neutral in the late Global War), has adopted a symbol that in no way resembles either motif, which is actually fairly difficult to distinguish except that it is on a square rather than being either a diamond or cross.

Czechia, a power that is directly hostile to the crystalline-bearing powers, hasn't made theirs round for that reason; the cross is very much intended to invoke the cross-bearing powers, but it much less resembles the other powers because they have formalized what was originally an attempt to use the paint they already had to quickly blot out all their crystals into something vaguely resembling the powers that they had aligned with, but directly echoing the flag of revolt that flew over the barricades during the Sixth Defenestration of Prague that led the country to switch sides during the Global War.

Last edited: