• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Book Nook: Ten Years Beyond Baker Street

This reminds me of that "Sherlock Homes Vs. Jack the Ripper" game that was advertised a few years back. Obvious idea when you think about it.

It's quite popular in fiction: there's a non-comprehensive list on Sherlockian.

One of Judi Dench's first film roles was being in A Study in Terror, which was the first Holmes v Ripper film (and, apparently, the first film to feature Mycroft Holmes).

One of Judi Dench's first film roles was being in A Study in Terror, which was the first Holmes v Ripper film (and, apparently, the first film to feature Mycroft Holmes).
Interesting, I remember wondering if it had been done before when I saw the game advert.

There’s at least two books off that list I want to read now (and one of those would qualify for the blog here).

A Study in Terror is quite good, though I still prefer Murder by Decree as the Holmes vs the Ripper movie of choice.

Murder By Decree was a similar film from 1979. Curiously, both A Study in Terror and the later production both feature Frank Finlay as Lestrade.
Kim Newman said in his Anno Dracula annotations that he deliberately had Holmes in an internment camp so the bugger wouldn't solve who the Ripper was too soon in the book.
I'm reminded of Alan Moore explaining why neither Sherlock Holmes nor Dracula feature directly in the original League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: that they would overshadow every other character.

Back