• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Biaggi’s Second Opium Den

Dems getting 69 Senate seats and then basically doing nothing with it and working with Republicans. It feels kinda ridiculous if you are winning by that much and then immediately go to compromises.
They had 57+2 OTL and still compromised more than they should. It’s just a feature of Obama 2008 where he wants to portray himself as a unifying figure, and working together with Republicans is necessary for that. However, unlike most people I don’t think he did this out of naivety, but rather a belief that his reforms would have more legitimacy and staying power if it had (at least some) Republican support.

They had 57+2 OTL and still compromised more than they should. It’s just a feature of Obama 2008 where he wants to portray himself as a unifying figure, and working together with Republicans is necessary for that. However, unlike most people I don’t think he did this out of naivety, but rather a belief that his reforms would have more legitimacy and staying power if it had (at least some) Republican support.
My main problem is, imo, he compromised to try and not put the filibuster in use, which is not really an issue if they have 69 Senate seats.

My main problem is, imo, he compromised to try and not put the filibuster in use, which is not really an issue if they have 69 Senate seats.
They only had a gentleman’s agreement on not raising taxes. Not saying it wasn’t stupid, but I don’t think it really affected policy too much (in the sense that Obama wouldn’t have done more anyway), though did give the GOP ammunition for the 2010 midterms in the TL.
Also the Senate map in general is just ???????
View attachment 64679
There is a logical explanation for literally every single race though. He didn’t just pick states at random or whatever.

There is a logical explanation for literally every single race though. He didn’t just pick states at random or whatever.
It’s logical but I do question how a few of them go tbh, Maine is weird in terms of Collins retiring, MN staying even with a landslide, etc. there’s a lot where I feel it’s a bit too much.
They only had a gentleman’s agreement on not raising taxes. Not saying it wasn’t stupid, but I don’t think it really affected policy too much (in the sense that Obama wouldn’t have done more anyway), though did give the GOP ammunition for the 2010 midterms in the TL.
I disagree on both points as there were ideas of raising taxes a bit to pay for stimulus bills IIRC, and I think they just wouldn’t do it because they really have no reason to.

stop doubting dave freudenthal
Unironically don’t have a problem with him winning.

Cabinet of Rudy Perpich:

President: Rudy Perpich (D-MN)
Vice President: Ned McWherter (D-TN)

Secretary of State: Al Gore Jr. (D-TN)
Secretary of the Treasury: Peter Hutchinson (D-MN)
Secretary of Defense: Les Aspin (D-WI)
Attorney General: Barbara Babcock (D-CA)
Secretary of the Interior: Mike Cooney (D-MT)
Secretary of Agriculture: Robert Mattson Jr. (D-MN)
Secretary of Commerce: George L. Brown (D-CO)
Secretary of Labor: Alexis Herman (D-AL)
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Matthew Martinez (D-CA)
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Maynard Jackson (D-GA)
Secretary of Rural Development[1]: Charlie Melançon (D-LA)
Secretary of Transportation: Robert E. Farris (D-TN)
Secretary of Energy: Tony Earl (D-WI)
Secretary of Education: Glen Olds (D-AK)
Secretary of Veterans Affairs: Jesse Brown (D-MI)

Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency: Barbara Blum (D-DC)
Director of the Office of Management and Budget: Jim Cooper (D-TN)
Director of Central Intelligence: Robert S. Wood (I-ID)
Chair of the Council of Economic Advisors: Steven Goldfield (I-DC)
Administrator of the Small Business Administration: Clem McSpadden (D-OK)
Chief of Staff: Dan Loritz (D-MN)
Ambassador to the United Nations: William Coleman (R-DC)

[1] Created after inauguration

left wing argument for why bill clinton was the greatest president ever

-he made america north koreas biggest financial backer 🔥🔥🔥🔥
-he appointed a neocon cia director and never spoke to him once 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
-put a left wing government in haiti (international revolution) 👽
-hutu power is inherently left wing 🥶🥶
-socialized healthcare = social fascism 😢
-marx supported free trade 😏😏😏

left wing argument for why bill clinton was the greatest president ever

-he made america north koreas biggest financial backer 🔥🔥🔥🔥
-he appointed a neocon cia director and never spoke to him once 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
-put a left wing government in haiti (international revolution) 👽
-hutu power is inherently left wing 🥶🥶
-socialized healthcare = social fascism 😢
-marx supported free trade 😏😏😏
- he did his best but southern democrats blocked him (backstabbed by his own people) 😿

Back