• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

An Alternate History of Horror XIX: Inspired by Actual Events

Nice to see The McPherson Tape and Alien Abduction: Incident on Lake County get a mention. Dean Alioto told stories from the making of both on the Somewhere in the Skies podcast a few years back. Apparently the master of the original film was lost in a fire at the distributor's, which saw it going out of official circulation and started the rumor within ufology that it was actually real. The remake ended up having 'experts' (including some real ufologists) added into after Alioto had presented an edit to the network. Having gotten a greenlight based off the original film, Alioto thought the brief was to remake it on a network TV budget. The network (and I believe Dick Clark Productions as well) expected he would take the premise and make a straight made for TV movie. When he didn't, the interviews were added to make it more "acceptable" for broadcast. Which makes the fact it came out right before Blair Witch Project hit cinemas all the more ironic.

I also join in making an indictment against the filmmakers of Apollo 18. I almost paid to see it in a cinema and thought better of it. Having seen it on DVD, I'm glad I did as even checking it out free from my library felt like a waste! The sheer number of alternate (but similar endings) on the DVD release speaks to how poorly thought out the whole thing was. I will them kudos for the recreation of Apollo hardware but, like Cloverfield, it's a film that's all style over substance and without a single sympathetic character.

The Horror Timelines channel has said a few times that the tricky bit of found footage, the immediate killer of hacked-out ones, is the actors have to act lije they're  not acting and really are just some dudes wandering about. That is a lot harder than it sounds!

I swear I saw the Lake McPherson version of Alien Abduction when I was a young teenager and it freaked me out (so did the demon imps from Close Encounters and all the segments with grey aliens on Unsolved Mysteries). And Cloverfield’s viral marketing was fantastic. (Anybody else remember the fake ‘translation’ of the one random Russian guy’s dialogue?) One of the few movies I can recall that left the audience completely silent when the credits started.

Back