• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

An Alternate History of Gore X: Kensington Gore Part 2.

Hammer Harryhausen Kong remake?! I want to live in THAT timeline!

In retrospect, films like Plague of the Zombies, Twins of Evil and (was it Trigon?) The Ghoul have an uncomfortable power in how the BBFC stops them being as sleazy and rapey as they want to be, a sense something is barely being restrained. Unfortunately for them, I can see why this wouldn't cut the mustard in the 70s and possibly Hammer's biggest hope was for the BBFC to loosen up earlier than it did. (To the Devil is a depressing case of when the BBFC should actually have come down with censorious fury, but everything about that is damn unfortunate to put it mildly)

Great choice of thumbnail image for this one!
Hammer Harryhausen Kong remake?! I want to live in THAT timeline!

Oh yeah. So much the case here.

Noted for a potential future Development Hell article.

In retrospect, films like Plague of the Zombies, Twins of Evil and (was it Trigon?) The Ghoul have an uncomfortable power in how the BBFC stops them being as sleazy and rapey as they want to be, a sense something is barely being restrained. Unfortunately for them, I can see why this wouldn't cut the mustard in the 70s and possibly Hammer's biggest hope was for the BBFC to loosen up earlier than it did. (To the Devil is a depressing case of when the BBFC should actually have come down with censorious fury, but everything about that is damn unfortunate to put it mildly)

I think To the Devil stands out from the others you mention in that it's sleaze lies as much, maybe even more, behind the camera as opposed to in front of it. In contrast, Blood on Satan's Claw (from Tigon; The Ghoul was from the aptly named Tyburn btw) features a fairly graphic scene that stood out to me seeing it for the first time in the 2010s to the point I wondered how it made it past the BBFC. However, it's impact is as much suggestion as it is explicit. To the Devil just did it for the sake of doing it, which is the real sleaze.

I think To the Devil stands out from the others you mention in that it's sleaze lies as much, maybe even more, behind the camera as opposed to in front of it.

There's quite a few horrible things I'd watch before rewatching To the Devil again, "well at least none of that's real"

Back