• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

American English vs English English

David Flin

Exit, pursued by a black dog.
Magazine Editor
I've recently changed computers; I now find that whereas on the old machine, it would use English English (Colour) to spell check against, the new machine uses American English (Color).

I'm not tech-savvy enough to know how to switch this. Suggestions?

I've recently changed computers; I now find that whereas on the old machine, it would use English English (Colour) to spell check against, the new machine uses American English (Color).

Is it doing this everywhere you type things, or just here in the browser? Windows keeps an in 'Time and Language' settings menu that lets you set a preferred language it tries to pass along to other programs.

Last edited:
That is strange. On my Windows 10 PC, I can control my language settings on my keyboard by adding more drivers to it, and hence more spellcheck options (should I desire). It shows up as some sort of IME thing (red box in screenshot).
tutorial for david flin 1.jpg

Which, when I blow it up in detail, looks like:
tutorial for david flin 2.png

So, in general, for me English (United States) with the standard ANSI QWERTY keyboard is the default unless I go in and manually change it, say if I want to type in another language or if I'm too lazy to remember any ASCII codes.

I forgot how I did it; I think it's something like going into the Control Panel (oops, "Settings") and then "Time and Language" followed by the "Language" section. Then, in "Preferred Languages," I find what I'm looking for by going into "Add a Language", typing in a language name (English, in this case), selecting it, and then confirming I want to install the language pack. Then, if I want to delete a language, I go into the Language part of "Time and Language" and figuring out how to delete it.

Apart from that, I don't know how else to fix the problem.

No offense, David, but it's "British English", not "English English".

Is this still causing you issues or has someone found a solution yet? My interest is piqued :)

It feels like this is down to browser settings rather than system-wide, and the fact that you're only seeing it here would be down to the rarity of websites that offer both UK and US localisation options. So if it is still an issue, which browser are you using, please?

Is this still causing you issues or has someone found a solution yet? My interest is piqued :)

It feels like this is down to browser settings rather than system-wide, and the fact that you're only seeing it here would be down to the rarity of websites that offer both UK and US localisation options. So if it is still an issue, which browser are you using, please?

Apologies for not keeping people updated.

I seem to have resolved the issue: I found that it wasn't an issue when I used Firefox, but it was when I used Chrome. That suggested to me that the issue was with Chrome.

Two hours of fumbling around with, I am afraid to report, some bad language involved, and the problem went away. I've no idea what I did that solved it, but the important part is that the problem went away.

Honour. Honor.

I'm English again.

Back