• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

AMERICA DIVIDES: The Multi-Party US Election of 2016

25 inc Pennsylvania complete map
"Let's have some more results then, before we go to Naga in Birmingham."

Rich (BB code):
	OH-01		
	Lib          	94,794    	26.2%
	Con          	91,946    	25.4%
	Nat          	67,402    	18.7%
	Prog          	66,194    	18.3%
	Cst          	25,677    	7.1%
	All          	15,284    	4.2%
	Fus          	0         	0%

Total	361,297

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Con
			Nat

"Ohio's first district, in the southwest, taking in parts of Cincinnati. Although this district had a slight Republican majority under the old system, the more divided right here means that the Liberals narrowly take first place, with the Conservatives in second and then the Nationals."

"Interestingly this number district was once represented by future President William Henry Harrison, you know, the overcoat one. Or lack thereof."

"Yes, but at that point wasn't it in a completely different part of the state?"

"...that's not the point."

Rich (BB code):
	IL-02		
	Lib          	146,691   	48.3%
	Prog          	90,035    	29.7%
	Nat          	24,532    	8.1%
	Cst          	18,248    	6%
	Con          	15,244    	5%
	All          	8,872     	2.9%

Total	303,622

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

"Illinois' second district is one of the many in the Chicago area, reaching out from the shores of Lake Michigan into the interior - in this case the southern suburbs."

"The Democrats dominated under the old system, and here it's another two-one split between the Liberals and Progressives, as we've seen in many other diverse, urban districts across the nation."

"And here's what our map of Illinois is starting to look like..."

Illinois 3results.png

"We already have three different party colours on there after three different results! Illinois is going to be more politically diverse than some of the other states we've seen, it's already apparent."

"Perhaps what Mr Obama would have wanted his new system to achieve in his home state. But let's move on."

Rich (BB code):
	PA-08		
	Nat          	105,632   	27.3%
	Lib          	103,845   	26.8%
	Prog          	81,840    	21.1%
	Fus          	80,975    	20.9%
	All          	14,733    	3.8%
	Cst          	0         	0%
	Con          	0         	0%

Total	387,025

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Lib
			Prog

"Pennsylvania's eighth district is the antepenultimate one, and the state totals are looking... but we'll discuss that when the last two come in."

"Here we've got some more examples of how this new district-PR system doesn't stop nail-biting finishes. The Nationals came just ahead of the Liberals - well so what, they both get seats anyway - but there was a real race between the Progressives and the Fusionists to win the last seat, Mr Sanders' party triumphing by less than a thousand votes out of almost four hundred thousand votes cast."

"Still a nail-biter indeed. As we were saying, most district numbers move around a lot, but this one has been in Bucks County since at least the war, quite a divided area."

"What, as in Buckinghamshire, or...?"

"Well originally, William Penn named it after it, but they've since forgotten that Bucks was the abbreviation and just use it as the whole official name of the county."

"Jesus, I feel like we're in one of those post-apocalyptic science fiction novels. This is the BBC, the Voice of the Great God Reith, calling to you tonight from the Empire of W12."

"Don't try to be cute, Jeremy."

Rich (BB code):
	IN-07		
	Lib          	78,401    	29.7%
	Prog          	77,638    	29.4%
	Nat          	50,293    	19%
	Fus          	45,369    	17.2%
	All          	12,688    	4.8%

Total	264,389

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Nat

"Moving west again, Indiana's seventh district - quite a rarity in this mostly very right-wing state, this one is based in the city of Indianapolis, and it was considered a safe Democratic seat under the old system."

"Now, though, one of the seats does go to the right - with the Nationals just barely beating out the Fusionists."

Rich (BB code):
	WI-07		
	Nat          	100,404   	27.1%
	Cst          	84,236    	22.8%
	Prog          	79,657    	21.5%
	Lib          	58,217    	15.7%
	Con          	28,827    	7.8%
	All          	18,500    	5%

Total	369,841

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Cst
			Prog

"Something new, now. Our first result from yet another new state. This one is Wisconsin. Katty, tell us about Wisconsin."

"Well, it's a Midwest state that sits on the western coast of Lake Michigan. Farming is big here and industry used to be quite big in Milwaukee on that coast. Most of the settlers came from Germany and they still have German-influenced culture, with Oktoberfest and everything. I am told they all talk like 'hello dere, ope, I dropped my baaaayg'. Oh, and they're obsessed with cheese."

"I thought all Americans put cheese on everything?"

"Yes, but theirs might actually be edible."

"Fair enough. Well, from this result, it looks like a rather right-wing state? All three seats going to right-wing parties."

"That's not typical, Andrew. This district is in the very rural northwest, so it's a bit surprising that it's declared first. Usually Wisconsin is a fairly reliable member of the Democratic column under the old system, at least on the presidential level. To the point that I don't think Mrs Clinton actually campaigned there for the Liberals..."

"Well, we'll see...and I can see Jeremy is dying to put up a map update."

Michigan and Wisconsin 4results.png

"Well, despite what Katty just said, that does look like a growing sea of Trump orange," (pause for smirk) "in these two neighbouring states."

"Calm down, the Liberals have got this, I'm sure. Er, I mean-"

Rich (BB code):
	OH-07		
	Con          	97,261    	29.6%
	Nat          	75,388    	22.9%
	Lib          	59,035    	17.9%
	Prog          	48,969    	14.9%
	Cst          	32,916    	10%
	All          	15,369    	4.7%

Total	328,938

MCs elected:		
			Con
			Nat
			Lib

"Back to Ohio, and this district in the middle-northeast of the state...another relative success for the Conservatives in co-leader John Kasich's home state, although they still have yet to win more than one seat per district, unlike say the Liberals, Nationals or Progressives..."

Rich (BB code):
	PA-06		
	Lib          	94,166    	25.6%
	Nat          	90,228    	24.5%
	Fus          	85,112    	23.1%
	Prog          	83,473    	22.6%
	All          	15,575    	4.2%

Total	368,554

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Nat
			Fus

"Pennsylvania's sixth district, penultimate one, and this time the Fusionists beat the Progressives to take the third seat."

"This one's in the south-east of the state, and takes in, er, parts of Chester, Montgomery, Reading..."

"WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?"

"...and Lebanon."

"Nick Ferrari has gone too far."

Rich (BB code):
	WI-02		
	Prog          	168,805   	40.9%
	Lib          	102,702   	24.9%
	Cst          	44,263    	10.7%
	Nat          	41,071    	9.9%
	Con          	34,274    	8.3%
	All          	21,688    	5.3%

Total	412,803

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Lib
			Prog

"Another district in Wisconsin, and I see what you meant, Katty, this one's rather different politically!"

"Yes, this one's in southern Wisconsin. It's actually quite big and not what we would call that urban, despite all three seats going to the left, though it does have the city of Madison."

Rich (BB code):
	MS-01		
	Nat          	88,697    	28.7%
	Cst          	83,898    	27.2%
	Lib          	79,845    	25.9%
	Con          	28,643    	9.3%
	Prog          	20,924    	6.8%
	All          	6,709     	2.2%

Total	308,717

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Cst
			Lib

"And from a very different part of the country, Mississ - isssismmiss -isspi -"

"Mississippi's first district."

"Yes, that. Well, in addition to being the most difficult to spell and pronounce, this is America's poorest state, isn't it?"

"As we discussed before, yes. This district does include the major university, though, located in Oxford."

"An American place name connection that actually makes sense? Is that allowed?"

"Yes. Unfortunately, so is gerrymandering to disenfranchise the BAME voters. But under this new system, you can see that the Liberals have secured the third seat in what was formerly a reliable Republican district."

"With both the Nationals and the Constitution Party taking seats...Jeremy, can we look at the overall picture in Alabama and Mississississ - the other one?"

"I thought you'd never ask."

Alabama Mississippi 3results.png

"Once again, a considerable range of parties on display in what used to just be a polarised two-party race...though again, orange seems to the leading colour everywhere here too."

"Let's...not think about that too hard, but move on."

Rich (BB code):
	MI-03		
	Prog          	90,493    	25.9%
	Con          	67,241    	19.2%
	Cst          	63,171    	18.1%
	Lib          	56,837    	16.3%
	Nat          	49,932    	14.3%
	All          	21,816    	6.2%

Total	349,490

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Con
			Cst

"Speaking of political diversity, Michigan's third district - in the west-centre of the state - goes Progressive-Conservative-Constitution, which I don't think is a combination we've seen before. Both the Liberals and Nationals fail to get a seat."

"Also a relatively high vote for the Alliance Party, though nowhere near taking a seat of course. The former Republican incumbent, and Conservative leading candidate this time, Justin Amash, is known to have libertarian sympathies, which may be connected."

Rich (BB code):
	IL-17		
	Lib          	67,024    	23.3%
	Prog          	66,975    	23.3%
	Cst          	51,636    	18%
	Nat          	48,615    	16.9%
	Con          	35,765    	12.5%
	All          	17,087    	6%

Total	287,103

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Cst

"Another unusual combination from Illinois' seventeenth district, in the west of the state. Usually quite reliably Democratic under the old system, except during in the Republican wave election of 2010... here the Progressives and Liberals are almost tied and get a seat each, but the third seat goes to the Constitution Party - perhaps not whom we might have expected."

"Yes, this new voting system is showing hidden political undercurrents in many places. Speaking of which, we have the final Pennsylvania district..."

Rich (BB code):
	PA-11		
	Nat          	121,477   	38%
	Fus          	70,201    	22%
	Lib          	58,917    	18.4%
	Prog          	56,697    	17.8%
	All          	12,089    	3.8%

Total	319,380

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Fus
			Nat

"As I said, that's the last district...and this one falls right along the backbone of the Appalachian mountains, which we've discussed so much, stretching from Scranton to Harrisburg...an area which has been such a support base for Mr Trump's National Party, and well..."

"By PR standards, that's an overwhelming victory. The third seat's going to the Fusionists, and no left-wing parties in contention. Which...ah...which also has consequences for Pennsylvania's overall vote numbers, and therefore its statewide top-up seats..."

Rich (BB code):
	Pennsylvania at-large		
	Nat          	1,724,018 	28.2%
	Lib          	1,640,250 	26.8%
	Prog          	1,285,525 	21%
	Fus          	1,246,834 	20.4%
	All          	218,166   	3.6%

Total	6,114,793

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Nat

"Now that is a shock. By a significant margin - less than a million votes, but only out of six million cast - Pennsylvania's polls are topped not by the Liberals, as we might expect in what was formerly a reliable Democratic state, but by the National Party. Katty, can you, can you explain?"

"No, Andrew, this is going to keep the psephologists up all night. The appeal of Mr Trump's avowed protectionist economic policies to mining communities in decline in the Appalachian region may be part of it, as we saw in West Virginia. But this was not foreseen by anyone. Look at that sea of orange on the map."

Pennsylvania complete fixed.png

"Twenty seats go to the Nationals, eighteen to the Liberals, twelve to the Fusionists, and six to the Progressives..."

"Of course, we could say that we've already seen multiple southern states give their statewide votes to the Liberals, when the Republicans used to have the majority there. So the left and right can fracture differently in different places, and this is just a quirk of that, and we absolutely definitely don't need to panic."

"Errr...to take our minds off of that, let's now go to Naga Munchetty, interviewing voters in Birmingham."

The screen flickered and resolved to show Naga standing in front of a multi-tiered, ornate, golden library.

Just before the studio sound cut off, the words 'oh, for fuck's s-' could distinctly be heard.

Last edited:
Munchetty smiled brightly at the camera, microphone in hand. "Yes, I'm here in Byrming-HAM to interview voters from Alabama about the new US election which is going on."

A few quick editing cuts as she spoke to different people in the street. A man with dark glasses, a goatee and an afro-like mass of hair, the latter two obviously dyed. "Well, this Hillary Clinton, y'know, some people say she's an evil woman, but I say she's just a sweet talkin' woman. Communication breakdown all around, insufficient data comin' through. What a terrible thing to lose."

"I see. And what do you think to Ted Cruz?"

The man paused for a moment and his lips moved, then he shrugged. "He's a twat."

Abrupt jump-cut to a thin, balding elderly man with slightly bulging eyes. "Well, I think the health insurance situation in the US really needs sorting. Speaking of insurance, you know those statements you have to fill in when you have a car crash, well, in Australia, it turns out-" Another abrupt cut, the only evidence being that Naga now looked slightly irritated. "But anyway, I think it's good that the US now has more parties. Maybe they can stop their diners serving up the bits of food that everyone else throws away now. Chickens haven't GOT wings! And it's not potato skins, it's potato PEEL!" (And again) "...yes, more parties is good. Means it's not just the same tired old policies. They've got some new material to tackle today's problems. And talking of problems (pause) I've got this mole..."

Cut to Naga, now looking weary, speaking to a woman in a white headscarf, with a battered picture of George Galloway in the centre of a rosette pinned to her equally white clothes. "Well, I'm very disappointed in Barack Obama," she said. "When he was elected, all the Republicans could talk about was how he was going to introduce sharia law." She looked about herself theatrically. "And yet they haven't rolled it out anywhere in the US! What kind of political promise breaking is that?"

Cut again to an an ageing, familiar-looking black man, clearly at the end of a long spiel. "Katanga, my friends, katanga! Oooooooookay!" (Annoyed) "Alright, I've said it. And now, can I talk quite seriously about the shocking treatment of black people by the police in the US and what Barack Obama is doing-"

"No, I'm sorry, we've run out of time."

Another abrupt cut to Naga standing in front of New Street station, covered in scaffolding. "So there you have it - the views of the ordinary people of Byrming-HAM, Alabama, on this unique American election. Andrew, back to y-"

"No, you're not getting away with this!" Neil intruded. "We already did this joke with Matt Frei, you can't just go to the wrong Birmingham!" He paused. "As in, Beerming-um rather than Byrming-HAM, I mean."

Munchetty looked confused. "But this is Byrming-HAM, isn't it? I mean..." She held up a tourism leaflet. "It's got the right skyline and everything!"

Neil quietly facepalmed. "All right. Whatever. We'd better stop this segment soon, the backroom boys already tell me that the social media pipelines are getting choked with random racist messages because you're on camera. Some of them are even from the United States."

Munchetty frowned. "That's a sad state of affairs." She paused. "Have we got time for me to gaslight you a bit by reminding you that, while 95% of the reason people dislike me is indeed horrible racism, I also occasionally actually say something genuinely unhinged, but you can't point it out without being grouped with all the racists?"

"Oh, go on then."

"Ah...Denmark did 9/11?"

"Come on, that's just derivative of what Trump said earlier, get better material."

"That's what I said to that bald bloke," Munchetty muttered as she vanished from the screen.

Neil stared into the camera with a fixed smile on his face. "Suddenly, the fact that Mr Trump's party has won Pennsylvania no longer feels so awful by comparison. Let's move on."

Rich (BB code):
	MS-04		
	Nat          	97,648    	34.5%
	Cst          	70,543    	25%
	Lib          	61,507    	21.8%
	Con          	27,728    	9.8%
	Prog          	18,538    	6.6%
	All          	6,758     	2.4%

Total	282,721

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Cst
			Lib

"Mississ...ippi's fourth district is in the south-east, along the coast, and includes the city of Biloxi, which I am absolutely definitely mispronouncing."

"Similar results to the first district we just saw - National and Constitution parties in the lead, but the Liberals taking the last seat. Conservatives and Progressives not in contention here."

Rich (BB code):
	IL-10		
	Lib          	98,966    	34.3%
	Prog          	79,891    	27.7%
	Con          	42,123    	14.6%
	Nat          	34,378    	11.9%
	Cst          	17,608    	6.1%
	All          	15,338    	5.3%

Total	288,303

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

"Another Illinois district, and another Chicago district, taking in the northern suburbs."

"Until recently, under the old system this was represented by Bob Dold, who is the past tense of Bob Dole."

"Don't try to be clever, Jeremy."

Rich (BB code):
	OH-03		
	Lib          	123,950   	39.5%
	Prog          	86,495    	27.5%
	Con          	54,851    	17.5%
	Nat          	22,088    	7%
	All          	13,886    	4.4%
	Cst          	12,885    	4.1%

Total	314,155

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

"And a very similar result from Ohio's third distrct, which is shaped like a Mandelbrot set but takes in the city of Columbus. The Conservatives weren't that far off getting the third seat."

Rich (BB code):
	MI-02		
	Prog          	80,039    	23.1%
	Cst          	77,263    	22.3%
	Con          	66,948    	19.3%
	Lib          	52,423    	15.1%
	Nat          	48,988    	14.1%
	All          	20,844    	6%

Total	346,505

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Cst
			Con

"Another interesting result there from Michigan. Katty?"

"Very divided between the parties, indeed. Michigan's second district is on the coast of Lake Michigan - facing across from Wisconsin on the other side. It has more people of Dutch descent than any other district in the US."

"No wonder they've split between so many parties then. Any chance of a seat for PvdD or the SGP?"

"...no. Well, I suppose there is a seat for the Constitution Party and they're basically like the SGP. Anyway, this district was Republican under the old system, and two seats are going to right-wing parties here - with the Nationals not in contention, unusually, just like the Liberals - but it's the Progressives who take the leading seat. Jeremy's map's looking more colourful"

"Interesting."

Rich (BB code):
	AL-01		
	Nat          	89,507    	29.5%
	Lib          	81,901    	27%
	Con          	65,885    	21.7%
	Cst          	37,242    	12.3%
	Prog          	21,463    	7.1%
	All          	7,481     	2.5%

Total	303,478

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Lib
			Con

"Down to Alabama now-"

"If you turn that into a song I'm leaving."

"...where the first district is in the south-west of the state, along the Gulf coast again, like we saw with neighbouring Mississ - the other one. Anyway, this takes in the big port city of Mobile."

"It's pronounced Mo-beel."

"Now you're just making stuff up."

"Anyway, this is usually a reliably Republican district under the old system, but again one seat has gone to the Liberals. The Conservatives get the third this time, staging a limited fightback in these Deep South states, it seems."

Rich (BB code):
	OH-04		
	Con          	97,272    	30%
	Nat          	76,014    	23.4%
	Lib          	52,973    	16.3%
	Prog          	46,668    	14.4%
	Cst          	35,430    	10.9%
	All          	16,292    	5%

Total	324,648

MCs elected:		
			Con
			Nat
			Lib

"And speaking of the Conservatives..."

"The same parties win, actually, but just in a different order, here in Ohio's fourth district, which has been compared to, er, a 'zigzag duck'."

"That's an obscure Irish disco hit from 1978 isn't it?"

"...no. Again a right-wing district usually, but the Liberals get a seat, and in Ohio if nowhere else, the Conservatives are comfortably on top."

Rich (BB code):
	IL-11		
	Prog          	86,069    	30.8%
	Lib          	78,564    	28.1%
	Nat          	38,351    	13.7%
	Con          	33,441    	12%
	Cst          	27,311    	9.8%
	All          	15,883    	5.7%

Total	279,620

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Lib
			Prog

"Yet another Illinois district, more the outer suburbs of Chicago, but still comfortably in the bag for the left-wing parties. As we saw before in the fourth district, here it's the Progressives that are on top and the Liberals are playing second fiddle."

Rich (BB code):
	MI-11		
	Prog          	94,131    	24.1%
	Lib          	83,012    	21.2%
	Con          	82,824    	21.2%
	Nat          	74,125    	19%
	Cst          	37,296    	9.5%
	All          	19,538    	5%

Total	390,926

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Lib
			Con

"Another eleventh district, and another suburban district, no less, but this time it's the suburbs of Detroit."

"The Progressives take the lead yet again, interestingly, but the Conservatives get the third seat, almost tying with the Liberals. We do appear to be seeing a limited recovery for the Conservatives after their very poor results on the eastern seaboard."

"Shall we talk about how much Marco Rubio sucks again?"

"Oh, there isn't any point, he won't understand anyway."

Rich (BB code):
	IN-01		
	Lib          	85,776    	28.6%
	Nat          	79,098    	26.3%
	Prog          	76,582    	25.5%
	Fus          	45,540    	15.2%
	All          	13,287    	4.4%

Total	300,283

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Nat
			Prog

"Back to Indiana, and this is the only other district - other than the seventh which we've already seen - that elected Democrats under the old system. It takes in the city of Gary in the northwest, which bleeds into the suburbs of Chicago in neighbouring Illinois."

"A city named Gary sounds like something from a bootleg Pokémon translation."

"Alright, no need to show you're down with the kids."

"That was nineteen ninety effing eight!"

"You with your skateboards and your PlayStations. Anyway, Liberal, National, Progressive, not a combination we've seen in many places I think...and let's have a map update."

Ohio and Indiana 20results.png

"The colours of Ohio are certainly looking quite different to what we've seen elsewhere."

Rich (BB code):
	AL-07		
	Lib          	158,424   	54%
	Prog          	46,162    	15.7%
	Nat          	36,193    	12.3%
	Con          	28,328    	9.7%
	Cst          	19,393    	6.6%
	All          	4,731     	1.6%

Total	293,231

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Lib
			Lib

"So this is another gerrymandered district, in which most of the BAME voters in Alabama were packed into this district, taking in much of Birmingham-"

"Please don't remind me."

"-and also other black majority areas, including Selma, which some of us may remember from the Civil Rights marches of the 1960s."

"Alright, now you've gone too far the other way with the age-specific references. The Civil Rights movement was a long time ago, all the kids have learned in school about how racism was solved forever then, now, please go back to talking about racial gerrymandering."

"Yes. Well, as we were saying before, in this case the new voting system has caused the gerrymandering to backfire - while the districts in which the old Republicans just secured a narrow but reliable majority for themselves, we're seeing Liberals elected to one of the seats, whereas here where BAME voters were packed into one, all three have gone to the Liberals. Suddenly it does make a difference whether you get 51% or 95% of the vote to win a district."

"I see."

Rich (BB code):
	IL-18		
	Cst          	82,427    	23.7%
	Nat          	66,095    	19%
	Prog          	62,547    	18%
	Con          	62,007    	17.9%
	Lib          	52,894    	15.2%
	All          	21,164    	6.1%

Total	347,134

MCs elected:		
			Cst
			Nat
			Prog

"Another Illinois district, and a rural one this time, in the west of the state, rather than Chicago. Now Abraham Lincoln briefly represented a district in this geographical area, rather than just using the number-"

"My word, are you allowed to do that?"

"And, as we were saying, quite a diversity of colours on the map now. Mr Cruz's Constitution Party are in the lead, then the Nationals, then the Progressives just barely beat the Conservatives to the last seat."

"What do you think Abraham Lincoln would think to Ted Cruz?"

"Who can say. Well, who can say before the watershed, anyway. Besides, we don't even know what Mr Cruz's opinions on cheese are."

"Job for Emily Maitlis to find out, I think. And...a voice in my ear is telling me we've just about reached half of all seats declared now, so let's have an update on total seat numbers..."

Rich (BB code):
264	Lib          	
182	Nat    	
121	Prog        	
71	Con          	
29	Cst        	
24	Fus       	
0	All

"Out of 691 seats declared, the Liberals are the clear leading party, but still have only uh...thirty-eight percent of all seats. And the Nationals in second. Not something anyone predicted." (Pregnant pause) "Then the Progressives in third. Also contrary to predictions, that Mr Sanders' party would be the only one to make three figures thus far. Of course, it depends on how one counts the Fusion candidates. The Conservatives along have seventy-one seats, but with the Fusionists would have ninety-five...er, which is still less than a hundred, isn't it? Or if you added the Fusionists to the Constitution Party, they'd have fifty-three...add all three of those right-wing parties together and they'd have one hundred and twenty-four."

"Which is slightly more than the Progressives, but still far fewer than the Nationals. Much of the right-wing vote in the United States has been captured by the populism and violent rhetoric of Mr Trump. One wonders what the reaction from the rest of the world will be."

"Well, regardless, we will not know what government is formed until the end of this election night - if then. In the meantime, stay with us on the BBC, and ignore the ominous tolling bell of doom in the background."

"Oh sorry, I forgot to put my phone on silent."

"That's not typical, Andrew. This district is in the very rural northwest, so it's a bit surprising that it's declared first. Usually Wisconsin is a fairly reliable member of the Democratic column under the old system, at least on the presidential level. To the point that I don't think Mrs Clinton actually campaigned there for the Liberals..."
"Out of 691 seats declared, the Liberals are the clear leading party, but still have only uh...thirty-eight percent of all seats. And the Nationals in second. Not something anyone predicted."

["In The Hall of the Mountain King" plays gently from somewhere, slowly growing louder and louder]

Cut to Naga, now looking weary, speaking to a woman in a white headscarf, with a battered picture of George Galloway in the centre of a rosette pinned to her equally white clothes. "Well, I'm very disappointed in Barack Obama," she said. "When he was elected, all the Republicans could talk about was how he was going to introduce sharia law." She looked about herself theatrically. "And yet they haven't rolled it out anywhere in the US! What kind of political promise breaking is that?"
I love this

27 inc completed Ohio Indiana map
"I understand we may be able to speak to one of the party leaders shortly...but in the meantime, more results are coming in from the Midwest and Deep South."

Rich (BB code):
	OH-08		
	Con          	100,334   	29.3%
	Nat          	89,288    	26%
	Lib          	57,432    	16.8%
	Prog          	47,495    	13.9%
	Cst          	33,598    	9.8%
	All          	14,636    	4.3%

Total	342,785

MCs elected:		
			Con
			Nat
			Lib

"Another result from Ohio. The eighth district is in the west of the state, north of Cincinnati. Until recently, it was represented by John Boehner - don't laugh - the leader of the Republicans in the old House of Representatives."

"Another poll topped by the Conservatives, as we've seen several times in Ohio but rarely outside it."

Rich (BB code):
	IL-09		
	Lib          	123,267   	36.3%
	Prog          	114,829   	33.8%
	Con          	38,425    	11.3%
	Nat          	27,925    	8.2%
	Cst          	18,105    	5.3%
	All          	17,035    	5%

Total	339,587

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

"And Illinois' ninth district, another one in northern Chicago...another close fight between the Liberals and Progressives for first place."

"Yes, due to the third highest party - the Conservatives - not being close enough to be in contention, every vote matters a lot; if the Liberals are one vote ahead of the Progressives, they get two seats to the Progressives' one, and vice versa. With it being closer than expected in some urban centres like Chicago, the Progressives may end up pulling off some unexpected wins - as we already saw in Illinois' fourth district."

Rich (BB code):
	MI-06		
	Prog          	82,647    	24.9%
	Lib          	59,658    	18%
	Con          	59,647    	18%
	Cst          	55,478    	16.7%
	Nat          	55,189    	16.6%
	All          	19,366    	5.8%

Total	331,986

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Lib
			Con

"Speaking of Progressive success, they top the polls in Michigan's sixth district, which is in the south-west, on the coast of Lake Michigan, and is centred on the city of Kalamazoo."

"Oh come on, that's just a magic word said by the fairy godmother in Cinderella, if you're going to make stuff up, at least make it plausible...and non-Disney-copyright-violating."

"No, really...anyway, that's almost a perfect dead heat between the Liberals and Conservatives in second and third, both taking a seat. Let's have a map update."

Michigan and Wisconsin 9results.png

"Not as orange as the last time we looked at these states. An orange-green contrast is not something we've seen before, I think, with Nationals and Progressives fighting it out to top the polls."

"Probably there will also be some blue, at least, before the night is over, as the Liberals are predicted to top the polls in some urban districts...well, before tonight, most pollsters expected them to top them in all urban districts, on the other hand."

Rich (BB code):
	IN-08		
	Nat          	117,034   	38.9%
	Fus          	77,285    	25.7%
	Prog          	49,938    	16.6%
	Lib          	42,953    	14.3%
	All          	13,577    	4.5%

Total	300,787

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Fus
			Nat

"No blue or green in Indiana's eighth district, though, once again the Nationals and Fusionists split the seats between them."

"This one is in the south-west, and it used to be called 'The Bloody Eighth'..."

"Katty, please, there are children accidentally tuning into this instead of repeats of whatever kids' show was big in 2016, I can't be bothered to check."

"...because it was a hotly-competed-for swing district. But this is another example of the realignment that happened in Appalachia and some adjacent areas, with the former Democratic voters mostly going Republican - on the old system. Now, at least that large right-wing bloc can show nuance within it via the multiple right-wing parties."

Rich (BB code):
	LA-03		
	Nat          	97,046    	28.3%
	Cst          	89,584    	26.1%
	Lib          	68,228    	19.9%
	Con          	44,388    	12.9%
	Prog          	32,013    	9.3%
	All          	11,766    	3.4%

Total	343,025

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Cst
			Lib

"An interesting mix in Louisiana's third district, which is another one along the Gulf Coast - including the city of Lafayette and that damn fiddly island that's a nightmare to colour in on maps."

"The Nationals and Constitution Party are fighting it out, reflecting the nature of different strands of the right here, while the Liberals get the third seat - again, gerrymandered borders will find it much harder to exclude minorities under this new system."

Rich (BB code):
	OH-15		
	Con          	106,383   	29.9%
	Lib          	72,040    	20.3%
	Prog          	69,614    	19.6%
	Nat          	60,934    	17.1%
	Cst          	29,361    	8.3%
	All          	17,058    	4.8%

Total	355,390

MCs elected:		
			Con
			Lib
			Prog

"And back to Ohio for the fifteenth district, in the south-central part of the state. Yet another win for the Conservatives, but this time it's the Progressives that get the third seat. The Nationals are excluded from representation at all."

"A curious result for quite a rural district that normally backed the Republicans under the old system - although President Obama did win the votes of this area in his 2008 presidential run - with the right sufficiently divided that the left-wing parties get more representation."

Rich (BB code):
	AL-06		
	Con          	89,152    	27%
	Nat          	86,600    	26.3%
	Lib          	67,522    	20.5%
	Cst          	57,741    	17.5%
	Prog          	18,595    	5.6%
	All          	10,239    	3.1%

Total	329,849

MCs elected:		
			Con
			Nat
			Lib

"And another lead for the Conservatives, but in a state where we've not seen it before...here in Alabama's sixth district, which takes in parts of Birmingham-"

"-don't remind me-"

"-the Conservatives narrowly beat out the Nationals, with the Liberals taking the third seat."

"Ah. A voice in my ear is telling me that the person we can speak to soon may be able to shed some insight into the Conservatives' successes...here, at least."

Rich (BB code):
	IN-05		
	Fus          	102,977   	28.3%
	Nat          	90,045    	24.8%
	Prog          	77,462    	21.3%
	Lib          	72,633    	20%
	All          	20,507    	5.6%

Total	363,624

MCs elected:		
			Fus
			Nat
			Prog

"You could kind of call this a Conservative success as well, sort of, as their fusion with the Constitution Party has beat the Nationals here in Indiana too. With the Progressives quite narrowly beating the Liberals to take the third seat."

"This takes in the area north of Indianapolis, and the northern parts of the city. It's the wealthiest part of Indiana."

"Yes, ironic that Donald Trump's message seems to appeal more to poorer right-wing voters than his own economic class, perhaps."

"A bit early to say. That's the last result from Indiana, though, which means we can also declare the statewide seats..."

Rich (BB code):
	Indiana at-large		
	Nat          	834,952   	30.6%
	Fus          	722,469   	26.5%
	Prog          	541,689   	19.9%
	Lib          	491,514   	18%
	All          	134,002   	4.9%

Total	2,724,626

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Nat

"Well. Despite that success from the Fusionists there, the Nationals still lead in the Indianan state popular vote."

"Hoosier. Hoosier."

"...are you having a stroke?"

"No, that's the adjective for Indiana. Hoosier."

"...are they having a stroke?" (Muttered) "Never mind. Anyway, that's another two bonus seats for Mr Trump's party, after those we saw in Kentucky, Tennessee, and of course West Virginia. A concern perhaps, in the corridors of power."

"We shall see..."

Rich (BB code):
	MI-13		
	Lib          	137,587   	51.9%
	Prog          	71,518    	27%
	Nat          	23,669    	8.9%
	Con          	14,616    	5.5%
	Cst          	9,826     	3.7%
	All          	8,127     	3.1%

Total	265,343

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

"Well, we thought we'd see some blue on the Michigan map, and we do. A firm win for the Liberals in the thirteenth district, which takes in a substantial part of Detroit city centre."

"So they actually still have votes in Detroit? Pop culture taught me it was a burning desolate wasteland abandoned by humanity?"

"Don't be silly, it's gone way upmarket again since they got Robocop in."

"Oh, of course, silly me."

Rich (BB code):
	MO-06		
	Nat          	91,803    	25.9%
	Cst          	87,005    	24.6%
	Prog          	59,126    	16.7%
	Lib          	52,930    	15%
	Con          	44,568    	12.6%
	All          	18,583    	5.2%

Total	354,014

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Cst
			Prog

"Now this is our first result from Missouri..."

"Michigan! Mississippi! Missouri! America has too many states that start with Mi-. Please eliminate one. PS I am not a crank."

"We haven't even got to Minnesota yet...anyway, Missouri kind of sits at a cultural crossroads between different regions like the Upper South and the Midwest, and that's reflected here in a divided vote. Somewhat similar to the Louisiana district we just saw, it's a close fight between the Nationals and the Constitution Party, but the Progressives nab the third seat - showing the diversity of opinions here."

"Yes, Missouri will be a difficult one to call, as there's a lot of difference between different parts of it. It also shows that we're moving into new time zone polls-closure times and seeing new states again."

"And speaking of which, we're also in a position to finish states off, as we get the last result now from Ohio..."

Rich (BB code):
	OH-11		
	Lib          	177,195   	54.8%
	Prog          	83,103    	25.7%
	Con          	34,252    	10.6%
	Nat          	16,026    	5%
	All          	7,985     	2.5%
	Cst          	4,740     	1.5%

Total	323,301

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Lib
			Prog

"Quite different to most of the state. The eleventh district was gerrymandered to cram most of the BAME voters of Cleveland and Akron into one district. But unlike some such districts where all three seats have gone to the Liberals, here the Progressives manage to take the third seat."

"As you said, that's the last Ohio district, so we can now report the statewide vote..."

Rich (BB code):
	Ohio at-large		
	Con          	1,422,010 	25.9%
	Lib          	1,356,511 	24.8%
	Prog          	1,037,653 	18.9%
	Nat          	1,019,596 	18.6%
	Cst          	399,399   	7.3%
	All          	245,004   	4.5%

Total	5,480,173

MCs elected:		
			Con
			Con

"That's something we've not seen before - the Conservatives topping the polls across a state and taking the top-up seats. Now, is this a turnaround for the more moderate of the right-wing parties (or at least the one everyone says is moderate, without actually doing much differently) or is it just a fluke?"

"It was pretty close. The Liberals almost took the lead. Remember Ohio did vote for President Obama in both 2008 and 2012, even though otherwise it's been trending towards the right."

"We can also show our completed map of Ohio and Indiana..."

Ohio and Indiana.png

"A sea of red in Ohio, and quite a bit of pink in Indiana...different to what we've seen elsewhere, to say the least."

"And a voice in my ear is telling me that we can now go to that person I was telling you about...yes, live from Grabbit and Runne's Memorial Hospital in Texas, Conservative Party leader, former Governor Jeb Bush!"

The screen flickered and resolved itself into a new image.

Appearing on the screen was a bright white hospital ward, with the camera focused on a bed. In the bed, his eyes closed, was, indeed, Jeb Bush. A tube went into his nose for no apparent reason other than to make him look a bit like a Borg halfway through makeup, while sticking plasters (each prominently displaying the word BAND-AID™) covered various wounds on his hands and arms. They looked suspiciously like paper cuts. An IV drip went into his arm, but not before going through a machine that looked a lot like a petrol pump counter. Indeed, 'THIS SALE' was next to a $ sign and a rapidly scrolling array of digits. The only difference was that there did not seem to be a decimal point marker for cents, instead simply having a lowercase letter k at the end.

"Mr Bush," began the off-camera voice of Andrew Neil. "Mr Bush, are you awake?"

Another, equally familiar, face entered the screen and the camera belatedly focused on it. "I'm real sorry, Mister Neil, but my brother Jeb's had kind of a relapse." Former President George W. Bush hesitated. He was dressed in a short-sleeved shirt covered in small, multicoloured paint stains, and his hair had, strangely, been shaped into an afro. "I knew it was a bad idea to buy him a copy of Metal Gear Solid, seeing all those exclamation points made him come over all funny."

"Er..." Neil gamely rallied. "Very well, Mr Bush, would you be willing to talk to us about the Conservative Party's fortunes?"

"Sure thing." Bush frowned. "One thing I wanna make real clear, Mister Neil. You boys in the meedja been spreading all kinds of lies about my brother Jeb. And some of those ain't true. For a start, I say, whatever you say, he definitely does have the clap." Bush frowned. "I mean, he definitely doesn't. Please."

"We actually said earlier that, er, Mr Bush is not suffering from gonnorhea, Mr Bush. You may rest assured of that. But about the Conservative Party..."

"Yeah. Come with me. Walk and talk." George W. Bush walked away, the surprised cameraman following him, into an art studio that - improbably - was right next to the hospital ward. "Now what were you sayin'?"

"Uh - what do you have to say about the Conservatives' performance tonight?"

Bush frowned. "Well, I know you guys want to say this was a surprise. I say, we were ready for any and all unforeseen events that may or may not occur. If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure. Let me tell you, this party shouldn't be misunderestimated."

"...and...er...what about the fusion with the Constitution Party in some states, what do you think of that?"

"We're working with our friends and allies on that," Bush said dismissively. "I hope we get to the bottom of the answer. Now, lemme see..."

He sat down at a partially-complete canvas and began working. It depicted a modern battle in a desert scene, with tanks and jets clashing. "What were you saying?"

"I...er..." Neil abandoned his plans. "Is that a depiction of the Iraq War you're painting there, Mr Bush?"

"Darn straight," Bush said, dabbing at it with his paintbrush. "I think war is a dangerous place."

"Er..." Neil went for the plunge. "And do you now concede that the Iraq War was a mistake?"

Bush gave a weary look to the camera. "Now, you know," he said in a suddenly softer voice. "There ain't no mistakes. Just happy accidents." He began painting a mushroom cloud in the background. "Now, let's paint a happy little bomb here..."

"Ahem," Neil said desperately, "what else do you paint here, Mr Bush?"

Bush finished the cloud and put the canvas aside. "Well, no disrespect to Barry Obammer, but I think the interweb's gone right downhill under him being in the White House," he said. "Old Al might claim to have invented it, Bill had his hampsterdance and his All Your Base, but what's Barry got? Old people on Facebook? Charlie Sheen autotunes? Those damnfool rage comics where everyone says derp all the time? That dog that's on fire that thinks everything's fine? Nobody thinks a dog being on fire is fine. Except Mitt Romney."

"Uh..."

"No, sir." Bush shook his head seriously. "No, my time was the peak for internets culture, history will say so." He gestured to a set of paintings. "So I'm daubing representations of some of those triumphs during my presidency. Look here. Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny - Mr Rogers in a bloodstained sweater. Windows Media Player skins that look like a green cyborg face. Big montage of webcomics where everyone's an anthropomorphised animal or an edited Mega Man pixel art sprite for no adequately explained reason. Homestar Runner riding a badger holding a mushroom into a snake. RealPlayer update popups. That's the cover art of The Immortal - the first video Let's Play, before that got RUINED by the mainstream..."

"Er..." Neil said, trying to get things back on track. "And what about that one facing against the wall, Mr Bush? The one with the text on the back - I think it says 'goats'?"

Bush proudly turned the painting around. "Now that's what I call a major-league asshole."

Mercifully, the feed cut out.

Rich (BB code):
	WI-01		
	Cst          	95,080    	26.7%
	Prog          	82,377    	23.1%
	Lib          	68,059    	19.1%
	Nat          	60,412    	17%
	Con          	31,879    	9%
	All          	18,153    	5.1%

Total	355,961

MCs elected:		
			Cst
			Prog
			Lib

"Er...thank you to former President Bush for that...memorable interview." (Huskily) "Please let's get back to some results."

"Well, we have Wisconsin's first district here - another different colour splash on our map, because here the Constitution Party tops the poll."

"That's the south-eastern district, isn't it...and there was something else about it..."

"Yes, this is - I should say was - the home district of Paul Ryan, who was Mitt Romney's vice-presidential candidate in 2012. Now Mr Ryan was the Conservative candidate, so he has lost his seat - in fact he has come last, other than the Alliance. A great disappointment for him no doubt."

"Let's interview him too and rub it in - I doubt he has so many annular paintings."

"Quite. We'll get Emily on that, I think."

Rich (BB code):
	IA-01		
	Lib          	89,749    	23%
	Prog          	86,786    	22.2%
	Cst          	71,551    	18.3%
	Nat          	60,076    	15.4%
	Con          	58,783    	15%
	All          	23,989    	6.1%

Total	390,934

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Cst

"Another new state reporting. This is Iowa's first district."

"Yes. Iowa is a farming state, and one of the few in America where the law basically forces relatively sensible district boundaries. There are four districts and the state is basically divided into quadrants. This is the north-eastern one. Politically speaking, the state has quite a diversity of opinions - being a rural farming state would usually favour the right, but various economic events in the 1980s tended to help the left."

"Of course, Iowa was also formerly noteworthy for being the first state to hold a presidential primary, or rather caucus, in the season. Some of that early focus and indecision seems to have carried on, as all the parties are quite close in terms of support. But it's the Liberals, Progressives and Constitution Party who just about come out on top, taking the three seats."

Rich (BB code):
	MO-07		
	Cst          	120,740   	35.3%
	Nat          	86,692    	25.3%
	Prog          	50,032    	14.6%
	Lib          	34,387    	10.1%
	Con          	33,258    	9.7%
	All          	16,961    	5%

Total	342,069

MCs elected:		
			Cst
			Nat
			Cst

"Back to Missouri and another very right-wing district, but this one has the Constitution Party on top..."

"Yes, it's geographically in the south-west of the state, which is the part culturally most similar to the right-wing western states like Kansas. But I wouldn't be surprised if we see quite a lot of different colours in Missouri. And speaking of which, a map..."

Arkansas Louisiana Missouri 4results.png

"The right definitely looks favoured in those three states thus far, but we shall see."

Rich (BB code):
	MI-05		
	Lib          	86,713    	26.5%
	Prog          	76,249    	23.3%
	Nat          	66,632    	20.3%
	Con          	42,786    	13.1%
	Cst          	39,553    	12.1%
	All          	15,639    	4.8%

Total	327,573

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Nat

"Quite different in Michigan's fifth district, where the Liberals take the first seat, followed by the Progressives and then the Nationals."

"Yes, this district includes the city of Flint, which according to its tourist brochure I have here, is a popular spa destination for the hydrophobes of the world...and the cholera bacterium. Wait, what-"

Rich (BB code):
	MS-02		
	Lib          	160,826   	55.6%
	Nat          	55,047    	19%
	Cst          	30,750    	10.6%
	Prog          	24,382    	8.4%
	Con          	14,437    	5%
	All          	3,827     	1.3%

Total	289,269

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Lib
			Nat

"Down to the Deep South now, and Mississippi's second district, in the west of the state, which follows the titular river-"

"-don't make me try to pronounce it-"

"-and is another one that was gerrymandered to put most of the BAME voters in one district. In this case, however, the Liberals don't quite get all three seats as we've seen in some other places - the Nationals get enough votes to just about take the third seat."

"Yes, the fact that a formerly ignored minority in a district is getting representation now...it does work both ways, doesn't it?"

Rich (BB code):
	AL-04		
	Nat          	114,137   	39.3%
	Con          	73,991    	25.5%
	Cst          	45,534    	15.7%
	Lib          	38,975    	13.4%
	Prog          	11,747    	4%
	All          	6,342     	2.2%

Total	290,726

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Con
			Nat

"And in neighbouring Alabama, a very right-wing district in the north...even if the Nationals hadn't got the third seat, it would have gone to the Constitution Party instead. In fact, by some metrics it was formerly the most Republican district in the United States."

"Striking perhaps that its votes have gone more to Mr Trump's National Party than to the Conservatives, then. Perhaps we should have asked Mr B-"

"NO WE SHOULDN'T HAVE."

Rich (BB code):
	IL-07		
	Lib          	166,500   	53.7%
	Prog          	104,600   	33.7%
	Con          	14,320    	4.6%
	All          	10,479    	3.4%
	Nat          	8,805     	2.8%
	Cst          	5,456     	1.8%

Total	310,159

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

"Illinois' seventh district, another one taking in much of Chicago's centre...the Liberals are in first but, again, one seat goes to the Progressives."

"Let's update our Illinois map and see how many colours we have on that one..."

Illinois 9results.png

"Every colour except Conservative red...and Alliance yellow, of course."

"Yes, it does seem unlikely we're going to see the latter, but perhaps when we get to New Mexico, Gary Johnson's home state...we'll see."

Rich (BB code):
	MI-09		
	Prog          	93,690    	26.3%
	Lib          	89,395    	25.1%
	Nat          	70,511    	19.8%
	Con          	59,422    	16.7%
	Cst          	25,664    	7.2%
	All          	17,069    	4.8%

Total	355,751

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Lib
			Nat

"Michigan's ninth district, to the west of Detroit and taking in surrounding towns such as Troy...the Progressives in the lead over the Liberals once more, but the third seat goes to the Nationals."

Rich (BB code):
	AR-02		
	Lib          	93,596    	30.5%
	Con          	58,161    	18.9%
	Cst          	53,543    	17.4%
	Nat          	49,078    	16%
	Prog          	34,287    	11.2%
	All          	18,309    	6%

Total	306,974

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Con
			Cst

"Back to Arkansas. This district takes in the state capital, Little Rock."

"What happened to-"

"Everyone has already done that joke. Anyway, this whole area had been trending away from the Democrats, but it looks like - whether it's Mrs Clinton's personal vote from her husband's time as Governor here, or just a divided right - the Liberals take the first seat. Unusually, the Conservatives and Constitution Party beat the Nationals to getting a seat themselves."

Rich (BB code):
	MS-03		
	Lib          	100,424   	31.3%
	Nat          	97,445    	30.4%
	Cst          	69,987    	21.8%
	Con          	27,992    	8.7%
	Prog          	18,684    	5.8%
	All          	6,218     	1.9%

Total	320,750

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Nat
			Cst

"And a similar case in Mississippi, where the third district - which favoured the Republicans under the old system - is actually won by the Liberals in first, with the other two seats going to the Nationals and the Constitution Party this time."

"That's our last Mississippi result - only four seats - so we can calculate the top-up statewide seats..."

Rich (BB code):
	Mississippi at-large		
	Lib          	402,603   	33.5%
	Nat          	338,836   	28.2%
	Cst          	255,178   	21.2%
	Con          	98,801    	8.2%
	Prog          	82,528    	6.9%
	All          	23,512    	2%

Total	1,201,458

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Lib

"Well. As we were saying. That same effect that's happened in some districts has also happened across the whole state here. A divided right and a united left - mostly - mean that Mississippi's statewide vote, which was considered solidly Republican under the old system, now goes to the Liberals. Both top-up seats go to Mrs Clinton's party."

"Perhaps a relief to the Liberals after the Nationals have captured several statewide seats, as we've seen...no final map yet, as we're still waiting on the last Alabama result..."

29 inc Alabama Mississippi maps complete
"Let's see if we can't get those states completed before we go to the next guest..."

Rich (BB code):
	WI-07		
	Nat          	100,404   	27.1%
	Cst          	84,236    	22.8%
	Prog          	79,657    	21.5%
	Lib          	58,217    	15.7%
	Con          	28,827    	7.8%
	All          	18,500    	5%

Total	369,841

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Cst
			Prog

"More political diversity in Wisconsin. This large, rural district in the north-west gives a seat each to the Nationals and the Constitution Party, but interestingly, the Progressives take third."

"The rural Midwest was one of the historical strongholds of the original Progressive movement, from a century ago. Perhaps we are now seeing the release of a rural voice on the left that takes a very different form from the urban one which has grown more dominant within the Democrats, and is now expressed in the Liberals."

Rich (BB code):
	IL-01		
	Lib          	148,012   	45.4%
	Prog          	97,896    	30%
	Nat          	33,160    	10.2%
	Con          	18,985    	5.8%
	Cst          	17,811    	5.5%
	All          	10,312    	3.2%

Total	326,175

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Prog
			Lib

"But, of course, this isn't to say that we haven't seen substantial Progressive support in the cities too. This first district in Illinois takes in much of the South Side of Chicago, then spirals out to a place called Joliet."

"This is a BAME majority district, and where President Obama formerly lived, as it happens."

Rich (BB code):
	LA-05		
	Lib          	87,631    	27.1%
	Nat          	86,547    	26.8%
	Cst          	80,244    	24.8%
	Con          	38,467    	11.9%
	Prog          	22,628    	7%
	All          	7,892     	2.4%

Total	323,409

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Nat
			Cst

"Back to Louisiana, and the fifth district follows the Mississippi river, on the other bank from the Mississippi...state, I mean...district we just saw. A narrow lead for the Liberals, but two seats go to the right, the Nationals and Constitution Party respectively."

"Both seem to have more support here than the Conservatives, unlike some of the other states we've seen recently...well, some."

Rich (BB code):
	WI-08		
	Cst          	100,507   	27.2%
	Nat          	82,259    	22.3%
	Prog          	82,008    	22.2%
	Lib          	60,669    	16.4%
	Con          	24,854    	6.7%
	All          	19,265    	5.2%

Total	369,562

MCs elected:		
			Cst
			Nat
			Prog

"Wisconsin again, this time with a purple splash on the map. The eighth district is in the northeast of the state, on the coast of Lake Michigan. In fact the central settlement is Green Bay, best known for its American football team, the Green Bay Packers."

"...what exactly do they pack?"

"Meat, originally. Look it up."

"I will, while we update the map."

Michigan and Wisconsin 15results.png

"I thought you just did that...anyway, once again, every colour on the map except red. And yellow."

Rich (BB code):
	AR-03		
	Con          	61,467    	21%
	Nat          	60,898    	20.8%
	Cst          	58,556    	20%
	Lib          	49,055    	16.8%
	Prog          	40,026    	13.7%
	All          	22,161    	7.6%

Total	292,163

MCs elected:		
			Con
			Nat
			Cst

"Arkansas' third district is in the northwest of the state, and was formerly represented by Yorkshire comedian Steve Womack. Have you heard the one about how the Luftwaffe bombed Attercliffe continuously for six years during the war, and did eight quid's worth of damage?"

"...I think that may be a different Steve Womack. Also he's been re-elected, as he was the Conservative candidate."

"Unlike Paul Ryan. In fact this is a rare case of the three seats going to all three right-wing parties, but the Conservative being in the lead. People must really like his jokes about doing a wee in the sink."

"I - let's move on."

Rich (BB code):
	IL-12		
	Nat          	75,668    	24%
	Lib          	66,106    	20.9%
	Cst          	64,982    	20.6%
	Prog          	60,711    	19.2%
	Con          	33,043    	10.5%
	All          	15,336    	4.9%

Total	315,846

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Lib
			Cst

"Illinois' twelfth district is in the southwest of the state, just over the border from the city of Saint Louis in Missouri."

"Yes, there used to be a bit of an ancestral Democratic vote here, but it's been trending away for a while, and the district was consideredb asically even under the old political landscape. Here, it's once again closely divided - the Nationals take the lead, but it's quite a fight between the Liberals, Constitution Party and Progressives for the remaining two seats."

Rich (BB code):
	WI-03		
	Prog          	98,901    	27.5%
	Nat          	76,315    	21.2%
	Cst          	72,313    	20.1%
	Lib          	62,098    	17.3%
	Con          	28,544    	7.9%
	All          	21,384    	5.9%

Total	359,555

MCs elected:		
			Prog
			Nat
			Cst

"Another of the unusual combinations we've seen in Wisconsin. This western district covers a big part of what is known as the Driftless Area..."

"That feels vaguely insulting but I can't say exactly why."

"It's to do with the lack of drumlins."

"Oh, I do hope they at least used anaesthetic."

"...anyway, this was another even district under the old landscape, so certainly not one that any party would ever fail to stand a candidate for and then not have a hope of winning even as their presidential candidate actually won its votes," (cough) "but under the new system, the Progressives are in the lead, but the other two seats go to the Nationals and Constitution Party, with the Liberals losing out."

"Another example of rural progressivism perhaps, though there are some sizeable towns in the district.

Rich (BB code):
	AL-02		
	Nat          	84,679    	29.6%
	Lib          	81,885    	28.7%
	Con          	62,428    	21.9%
	Cst          	38,398    	13.4%
	Prog          	12,414    	4.3%
	All          	5,859     	2.1%

Total	285,664

MCs elected:		
			Nat
			Lib
			Con

"And that's the final district from Alabama - a narrow National win over the Liberals, with the Conservatives in third. Still a better performance for them than in many states tonight."

"Which means we can issue the statewide top-up seats too..."

Rich (BB code):
	Alabama		
	Lib          	584,495   	27.8%
	Nat          	575,938   	27.4%
	Con          	463,821   	22.1%
	Cst          	278,496   	13.3%
	Prog          	145,052   	6.9%
	All          	53,858    	2.6%

Total	2,101,660

MCs elected:		
			Lib
			Lib

"Well, that's a shock. Alabama, a state which has been firmly in the hands of the right for many years, just narrowly gives the Liberals the lead over the Nationals."

"With a plurality of barely more than one-quarter of the vote...but some in Congress wanted a winner bonus, and they've got one. Maybe not benefiting the party they wanted, though.

"Let's look at the final map..."

Alabama Mississippi.png

"Quite remarkable. In Mississippi the Liberals topped the vote in two out of four districts and won the statewide popular vote - not too far-fetched, perhaps. But in Alabama..."

"Just one of the districts had a Liberal lead. Yet the Liberals had enough strength elsewhere, while the Nationals and Conservatives fought over the right-wing vote and the Progressives were not in contention...across the state, they take the win."

"There will be some angry people in the Deep South tonight. Good thing they don't have a history of political violence and can easily obtain firearms, eh?"

"...can we go back to the Midwest please?"

That last bit was meant to be appended to the segment before but I got interrupted and didn't want to leave it in the site's memory bank.

Trying to get more done (that's the last for this weekend) so I can try to finish before the actual midterms, or else it'll get way too confusing.

Back