• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

1703084583548.png

from We Shall Overcome

Redid an old one

uh oh.png

The 2036 United States presidential election was the 63rd quadrennial presidential election, sponsored by Smiley Enterprises. In an unexpected turn of events, both Democratic nominee Senator Tom Downey and Republican nominee Governor Gary Farmer were defeated by Beth Ross, a 19 year old food service worker known as the viral meme "Corndog Girl"; hacker collective Anonymous exploited the resounding apathy for both candidates by executing an inpromptu protest vote, resulting in Ross winning the state of Ohio and deadlocking the electoral college. The subsequent contingent election saw either repeated ties or lacking of majority, as state delegates held out for more lucrative kickback from party leaders. Despite this, Ross eventually gained a majority of 26 delegate votes and thus the presidency, choosing former congressman Preston Rickard as her Vice President. Aside from her age and lack of political affiliation, her election was controversial for countering the lucrative contract deals made by congressmen as part of the Corporate Personhood Amendment, which, ironically, removed the age stipulation that would have bared her from taking office in the first place.

I can't actually remember the last time I actually came up with a series. Since November I've been working on a new series, inspired by a post I saw @Thande make about a year or so about the extraordinarily brutal thrashing Labour saw in London local and Greater Council elections in 1967 and I think 1968. This series uses as its excuse Douglas-Home calling an election essentially immediately, and Wilson winning a slightly larger majority that's not brilliant but comfortable enough to not call a snappy two years in. Not comfortable enough for the majority to last the parliament, but alas...

The 1967 election is based on an extrapolation of the 1967 Greater London Council election and is basically the real start, and is held on the same day. And so with that all out the way, here is my latest series, Five Go-o-o-old Rings! And a Landslide...

Five-Go-o-o-old-Rings-And-a-Landslide-The-Elections.png
Five-Go-o-o-old-Rings-And-a-Landslide-The-People-That-Made-It-Happen.png

Five-Go-o-o-old-Rings-And-a-Landslide-Extent-of-Destruction.png

Enormous thanks to @Turquoise Blue for a vast array of ideas and suggestions that I included and to @aaa for a fantastic signature for Teri Turnbull.

Where was the divide in that timeline between the Conservatives and the High Tories?
The Tory left essentially has control for over 35 years. Over time the right get increasingly agitated with scant members getting into high office, eventually the Bishop of Rochester forms his own party, which is constitutionally very murky, from the Lords and forms the High Tories. The Tories elect John Hayes in 2005 to counteract and try to stop the High Tories from usurping them; though he turns out to be so to the right many say he's to the right of Nazir-Ali.

Full credit goes to @Beata Beatrix for the genius idea, the whole concept, and most of the names and details.

Bay Ershter Derzen.png

Bay Ershter Derzen (At First Sight) is a six-episode 2014 Polish Yiddish-langugage television drama, adapted by Antoni Hurwitz and Rifka Specter from Jane Austen's 1813 novel Pride and Prejudice. Shayna Kowalski and J.S. Abramowitz starred as Freida Solomon and Nahum Oster respectively. Produced by Ester Cohen and directed by Rifka Specter, the serial was a Televizye Eydishe production with additional funding from Televisia Polonia. It was originally broadcast in 60-minute episodes from 2 May to 6 June 2014. Germany's WeltFunk aired the series - with German subtitles - in double episodes on three consecutive nights beginning 14 September 2014.

Critically acclaimed and a popular success, the television serial was recognized with several awards. It won Best International Drama at the 2015 BAFTAs, while Kowalski won Best Actress at the 2015 Bildschirmgilde Awards. Meanwhile the role of Nahun Oster elevated Abramowitz to international stardom. Bay Eschter Derzen was the first Yiddish-language drama to gain international recognition since Televizye Eydishe was established by the Polish government in 1995, and generated international interest in Yiddish broadcasting.

The New York Times credited Bay Ershter Derzen for “sparking a renaissance in European television and broadcasters in marginalized languages", while the Manchester Guardian described a scene in the third episode showing Abramowitz's Nahum Oster swimming shirtless in Park Lazienkowski as "one of the most unforgettable moments in European television".

Last edited:
1705376112459.png
Part of my NALverse project, Richard Nixon ittl. (fun fact: now that im doing a remake, he's the only confirmed person to *not* be an OC post ~1900) the NALverse is essentially 'what if things went *slightly* different in the 1600s (for one, new sweden survived), and then it went off the rails in 1740 (the actual starting point), and the not-USA suffered a not-fascist dictatorship in the 1820s and afterwards became Hellenophiles.' (thats the basics at least)

Back