• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Wikibox Thread

Why is there a special senate election if Obama didn't get elected in 2004?
See the previous entry; Obama was in the House. Jack Ryan won the race in '04 but stepped down in '08 after that shit with his wife leaked. Also Blageovich got arrested, so the new governor decided to have a special election to just make sure.
Why couldn’t you just let Obama win in 2012? Wouldn’t the world have suffered enough from four years of McCain?
My theory is whoever killed Bin Laden would be guaranteed a second term. Patriotism is one hell of a drug.

The Republican party split in 1804 between incumbent president Jefferson and his Vice President doomed the party’s re-election campaign just as it had for the opposing Federalists four years before. In 1800 Alexander Hamilton opposed incumbent president John Adams; now it was Jefferson and Vice President Aaron Burr who were running against each other.

In 1804 Vice President Aaron Burr’s presidential campaign led a famous duel with Hamilton which left both wounded. Burr lost political favor in his home state of New York due to this reckless action, and he moved west. Burr and Hamilton’s enmity for each other and national fame only increased after the duel. “The duel killed Jefferson’s career,” noted John Quincy Adams, “by catapulting the Hamilton-Burr rivalry to the detriment of Jefferson,” whose embrace of revolutionary France fizzled out in public opinion following Napoleon’s declaration of the French Empire. Hamilton and Burr won enough glory in their duel to shake up the presidential race, which had previously been seen as Jefferson's to lose due to the great popularity of the Louisiana Purchase.

Unlike Hamilton and Jefferson, Burr actively campaigned and embraced the Federalist pejorative of "democrat" by embracing democracy. The Burr platform called for universal suffrage, the gradual abolition of slavery, and recognizing Henri Christophe’s Haitian government in a break with the president. Jefferson's republican principles were called into question by his political question due to his refusal to deal with Haiti, which split his party along regional lines. Burr competed with Hamilton for the Black vote but was denounced by supporters of both Hamilton and Jefferson for seeking electoral support from women and therefore violating republican virtue. Burr would only win New Jersey in 1804 with the women’s vote breaking strongly for Burr.

With the Republicans divided, Hamilton easily triumphed over his rivals Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr in an election year dominated by the French and Haitian Revolutions. Thomas McKean’s defection to the Federalists was considered crucial to Hamilton’s victory in the decisive state of Pennsylvania, giving Hamilton exactly the amount needed to prevail in the electoral college. Burr would argue for women’s suffrage after 1804 and use this to rebuild a national political base.
1804HamiltonWiki.png

Last edited:
We'll Find The Red Flag Dying Here
View attachment 23169
I've gone and remade another series, because I was very curious about what the map could look like. Originally this was based on a game of Prime Minister Infinity, but I punched the numbers, or the closest I could get to it, into my preferred software and managed to get a map I was reasonably happy with. There are a number of bizarre, sometimes extremely cursed, fringe/independent victories which I included as a legacy from the original's high number of fringe/independent victories, which I thought were fun to include.

So, here is We'll Find The Red Flag Dying Here.

We-ll-Find-The-Red-Flag-Dying-Here.png

"I never heard as many compliments as anybody as I did on Inouye," President Lyndon Johnson noted on August 29, 1968.
"Yes, I know," interjected Vice President Humphrey.
"He answers Vietnam with that empty sleeve,” Johnson said. “He answers your problems with Nixon with that empty sleeve. He has that brown face. He answers everything in civil rights, and he draws a contrast without ever opening his mouth. I've never known him to make a mistake. He's got cold, clear courage, he's as loyal as a dog as you must've observed, he'd never undercut ya. He ought to appeal to the West. He ought to appeal to the world. It would be fresh and different. He’s young and new. It's something, it ought to be considered. ... I would consider Boggs... I'd consider Muskie. Terry Sanford would be good, he's been loyal but I understand the Southern boys think he's too liberal, I wouldn't irritate them any more than I had to. They all love Inouye. I don’t know why, but they all, I just — I think one thing is that they just look at him and see that he — they can’t fuss at him and say, ‘He doesn’t love peace.’ God knows, he wants peace more than anybody, and it’s quite a contrast with Agnew and civil rights thing and Nixon. And I just don't think that any Jew or any Pole or any Italian or anybody else, in other words, the South can’t get mad at him because he’s colored, and he would appeal to every other minority because he is one."
View attachment 64943
"Now now, Hubert. Everybody knows you love the country more than anyone, 'cept maybe me. But you're gonna get yer nuts cut off trying to deal with Wallace. He and Nixon made us look like a banana republic. There's a better way out of this, Hubert, yeh know we must put the country first, before anything. We need to put this damn war behind us..."

"The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves; they shall name in their ballots the person voted for as President, and in distinct ballots the person voted for as Vice-President, and they shall make distinct lists of all persons voted for as President, and all persons voted for as Vice-President and of the number of votes for each, which lists they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the seat of the government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate;
The President of the Senate shall, in the presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates and the votes shall then be counted;
The person having the greatest number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the twentieth day of January next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President."
On a similar vein...
1836Election.png

My laptop now having been fixed, I present my look at a Labour victory in 2010, Gordon Brown Goes Up.

Gordon-Brown-Goes-Up.png
It's time for another remake, with some additional changes.
Here's Gordon Brown Goes Up, where Brown manages to win a shock majority that makes the comeback king of 1992 blush. After serving four more years he retires, perhaps a little too late to help his heir, and politics rebounds once more...

Gordon-Brown-Goes-Up.png

I will be the first to say that Scotland is an absolute mess. There are some things there I'm really not happy with but wanted to avoid confusing myself when tallying up to 650 for the other aspects.

I don't think I've posted this yet. I must have neglected to. Inspired by a list by @iupius from a couple of years ago, I had an idea where basically the same events occur, except the monarchy would only be abolished on the Queen's death. Politics goes exactly the same otherwise, and so on the Queen's death, they hold the first election for Lord President alongside the local elections in 2023, and then a second round on the second Thursday of the next month, coinciding with the sixth anniversary of the 2017 election. So, here's my take on a UK presidential election.
1676582689132.png
Also, yes, it's still the United Kingdom.

I don't think I've posted this yet. I must have neglected to. Inspired by a list by @iupius from a couple of years ago, I had an idea where basically the same events occur, except the monarchy would only be abolished on the Queen's death. Politics goes exactly the same otherwise, and so on the Queen's death, they hold the first election for Lord President alongside the local elections in 2023, and then a second round on the second Thursday of the next month, coinciding with the sixth anniversary of the 2017 election. So, here's my take on a UK presidential election.
View attachment 65809
Tbh I'd vote for Major over Blair

View attachment 65809
I love the way that Britain still manages its hardest to be appear to be a monarchy even as a republic.

It's time for another remake, with some additional changes.
Here's Gordon Brown Goes Up, where Brown manages to win a shock majority that makes the comeback king of 1992 blush. After serving four more years he retires, perhaps a little too late to help his heir, and politics rebounds once more...

Gordon-Brown-Goes-Up.png

I will be the first to say that Scotland is an absolute mess. There are some things there I'm really not happy with but wanted to avoid confusing myself when tallying up to 650 for the other aspects.

I really like the series you've been putting out recently :D

View attachment 65809
How were Blair and Bercow selected as Labour's candidates?

How were Blair and Bercow selected as Labour's candidates?
Blair won a tight selection contest between himself and John McDonnell, with Emily Thornberry's campaign in third place not going very far, and McDonnell being heavily saddled by old comments and connections. The First Adjutant is a running mate with a choice within the gift of the candidate.

Back