• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Technologies: A Nuke By Any Other Name

'Explosive metal bomb' is definitely the worst of the bunch here, since it is so clunky and long that a shorter term would surely catch on

TL-191 did use 'superbomb' and then 'sunbomb' though, didn't it?

Similarly, you could have had someone decide to use 'core' in English for the central structure of a cell, and this then spread to atoms as OTL to give 'core bomb' and 'core power'.

OTL nuclear terminology can get a little like this too. Like the actual atomic explosive part of a bomb/warhead is called the "Physics Package", and I could see that, like "tank", being a code name that turns into an overall title.

OTL nuclear terminology can get a little like this too. Like the actual atomic explosive part of a bomb/warhead is called the "Physics Package", and I could see that, like "tank", being a code name that turns into an overall title.

"The Second World War would continue until 1946, when tube alloys were dropped on Erfurt and Wiesbaden."

Completely managed to forget that. Mind you I don't think it's clear whether it's a name for nukes in general or one specific type.
There's never one specific term for any kind of weapon (eg artillery/howitzer/M777 etc)

There's always a technical name for a weapon (nuclear warhead/primary), a manufacturers name (Python), the operators designation (W34, Lulu, Hotpoint, ASTOR, Peter) and a colloquial name (atomic bomb).

The colloquial name for a weapon can be both inaccurate (eg 'atomic bomb', a nuclear weapon isn't an atomic bomb, the conventional explosive that triggers it is) and ubiquitous.

It's often a case of which neologism gets there first.

Charlie Stross' Merchant Princes sequels (an example of pop AH which is both very clever and very stupid) used 'corpuscular bomb', abbreviated 'corpse' which I thought worked quite well. I can't offhand remember any reference to nuclear power.

In The Years of Rice and Salt, uranium is called alactin, but I don't recall if nuclear weapons themselves get a name of their own--trying to preempt their development once physicists from various parts of the world have figured out their feasability is a plot point in a late chapter.

In Red Plenty by Francis Spufford, there's a mention of the USSR's Ministry of Middle Machine Building, "whose middle machines are all the kind that have a blob of plutonium at their heart, and ride on top of missiles."

Back