• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Supreme Courts Thread

I think that's a simplification and ignores the context of some appointments. Kennedy, for example - nobody was under any illusions at the time about where he was in terms of philosophy. Everyone knew, including the administration, that he wasn't a Ronald Reagan-type justice like Bork. He was appointed because appointing someone who could get past the Senate before election year was seen as preferable to dragging the nomination out and potentially losing the nomination entirely. Kennedy receieved a lot of criticism from the right over the years, but in terms of expectations at appointment I think his court career was pretty much exactly where everyone would have expected it to be - maybe even more to the right than some Democrats might have hoped.

I think Burger's navigation of the politics of the court of his day may not have produced the kind of flaming dissents that some on the right would have liked, but I don't think anybody is in any doubt that he was in a consistent battle for his entire time on the court to overall bring it to the right.

There were twenty-six years between Marshall being appointed and the next appointment by a Democratic president. That's a long stretch of time where the backgrounds and philosophies of nominees were not as tightly-vetted as today. We could have got a lot more White-style nominations in that time had the Democrats fared better politically in the post-war period; certainly well into that period the primary qualifications of a nominee were that they should be seen as qualified and without scandal, and their political reliability took a back seat.

Cabranes would have likely been a very moderate justice, which is why he didn't come particularly close to serious consideration from either side of the aisle in OTL. It's possible he could have moved more to the right in time on the court, but would he have entered it as a preferred option of the right, no, absolutely not.

And I suspect there's probably a lot of potential ATL minority justices who had their formative years pre-civil rights who would have been in that vein. @Callan previously wrote an overview of Barbara Jordan which is pertinent in spite of Jordan's non-viability as a justice, but I don't think her politics were a total and complete outlier for people of her generation who could have been potential judges.
Agreed with most of your post but I think that from about the mid 70s onwards and certainly from the 80s, any Democratic President was very unlikely to nominate someone like Byron White.

Last edited:
OTL, there's been a running theme of Republican judges drifting left over time or disappointing conservative republicans. Of the 12 Republicans appointed from 1960 to 2016, only four didn't drift left over time or vote left/moderate in controversial cases (Rehnquist, Scalia, Thomas, and Alito). That's an ideological success rate of 33%. Of the 8 successful democratic appointments, only Justice White drifted right. Maybe Breyer in some cases like Religion or Crime. Democratic appointments have a success rate of 66% to 87.5%.

Who plausibly could have been Democratic equivalents of a Blackmun, Souter, or Stevens? Somebody who largely disappoints the political side of the President who appointed them.

I've seen Jose Cabranes mentioned, but I am not sure if he's Conservative or just Conservative for a Democrat.
Garland would have been a Kagan-style moderate liberal. Annoying to the left, but broadly satisfying to liberals.
In the case of Souter, he was an accident. George H.W. Bush wanted a stealth conservative in order to avoid a fight with the Democratic Senate and Rudman fooled Sununu into believing Souter was a solid conservative.

Agreed with most of your post but I think that from about the mid 70s onwards and certainly from the 80s, any Democratic President was very unlikely to nominate someone like Byron White.

This honestly seems like a very strange thing to believe when we've just been talking about the same sort of thing happening multiple times on the Republican side in that same period.

You realise White wasn't nominated by Kennedy with the intent of producing the kind of White we saw on the court, right?

This honestly seems like a very strange thing to believe when we've just been talking about the same sort of thing happening multiple times on the Republican side in that same period.

You realise White wasn't nominated by Kennedy with the intent of producing the kind of White we saw on the court, right?
Once Roe v. Wade happened, I think any Democratic President would require a Supreme Court nominee to say they supported Roe.

Once Roe v. Wade happened, I think any Democratic President would require a Supreme Court nominee to say they supported Roe.

Not immediately once it happened I don't think, no. It took a while for that to become a bottom line for Democrats and the politics of it to become fixed; at the time it happened you had the likes of Ted Kennedy and Jesse Jackson opposing it.

Not that Roe was the first and last thing in my mind when talking about White. But no, even within the confines of Roe I disagree with you that a White couldn't occur. Like, again, Republicans managed to appoint four justices after Roe who would uphold it, despite very heavy political investment in trying to prevent that happening.

Once you get some distance downriver from the decision and into the mainstreaming of the women's movement in the late seventies, that's when the chances of a Democratic anti-Roe justice start to recede.

Last edited:
Not immediately once it happened I don't think, no. It took a while for that to become a bottom line for Democrats and the politics of it to become fixed; at the time it happened you had the likes of Ted Kennedy and Jesse Jackson opposing it.

Not that Roe was the first and last thing in my mind when talking about White. But no, even within the confines of Roe I disagree with you that a White couldn't occur. Like, again, Republicans managed to appoint four justices after Roe who would uphold it, despite very heavy political investment in trying to prevent that happening.

Once you get some distance downriver from the decision and into the mainstreaming of the women's movement in the late seventies, that's when the chances of a Democratic anti-Roe justice start to recede.
I said "from the mid 70s onwards and certainly from the 80s". In the 70s, I think it would be possible for a Democratic President to nominate an anti-Roe Justice like Byron White but not in the 80s.

Powell had considered retiring in 1982, after a decade on the Court, as he found O'Connor, who Reagan had nominated, a great Justice, but his family convinced him not to.
He also nearly died on the operating table during a surgery in 1985.
If he had either retired in 1982 or died in 1985, do you think Reagan would have nominated Bork to succeed him and he would have been confirmed?

One alternative to this I've seen is a different sequencing, in that Reagan gets Bork on the court first while the GOP controls the Senate and then does Scalia in 1987. The latter had less of a paper trail than Bork and thus would be much harder to fight; the lack of "Borking" means H.W. Bush is more likely to go to bat for Thomas in 1990 and then select Edith Jones in 1991. Admittedly, Powell dying in 1985 is probably the easier PoD for getting both Bork and Scalia on the Court, however, given that means both would occur in the context of the GOP controlling the Senate.

One alternative to this I've seen is a different sequencing, in that Reagan gets Bork on the court first while the GOP controls the Senate and then does Scalia in 1987. The latter had less of a paper trail than Bork and thus would be much harder to fight; the lack of "Borking" means H.W. Bush is more likely to go to bat for Thomas in 1990 and then select Edith Jones in 1991. Admittedly, Powell dying in 1985 is probably the easier PoD for getting both Bork and Scalia on the Court, however, given that means both would occur in the context of the GOP controlling the Senate.
@Elektronaut explained at https://forum.sealionpress.co.uk/index.php?threads/alternate-supreme-courts-thread.4784/post-1031355 why he is skeptical of both Rehnquist and Bork being confirmed in 1986 and then Scalia being confirmed in 1987.

White in a sense was a pretty straightforward Kennedy Democratic nominee. Very supportive of equality and federal power, but conservative on individual rights. He supported strict scrutiny for sex discrimination in Frontiero v. Richardson, Affirmative Action in UC Regents v. Bakke, and protections for illegitimate children. He was on the liberal side in Tenth Amendment cases too (especially when they conflicted with commerce power). Plus there's Goldberg v Kelly (procedural protections for welfare recipients), and the cases extending protections to illegitimate children. He supported the fundamental right to marry and was liberal in the contraception cases (Griswold, Eisenstadt, and Carey in 1977). Plus he was on the liberal side in the campaign finance case Buckley v. Valeo.

It was criminal procedure and abortion where he broke right ... but those tended to be the hot button issues that drowned out the others.

Given the change in the Democratic party over time, I imagine a later president would not appoint another Byron White. I suspect that the overall liberal-lean of the legal profession makes producing Byron Whites pretty uncommon. Democrats likely have more room for error.

Looking back, maybe some LBJ appointments could have been White-like. Homer Thornberry probably would have been a moderate. William T Coleman was considered the backup to the Thurgood Marshall IIRC, and probably would have been Powell-like (pro-federalism, economic conservative, socially moderate to liberal). Frank Johnson would have been a moderate.

Other than Cabranes, I can't think of even hypothetical Democratic nominees after the late 70s as Elektronaut mentioned.

On the other hand, it's possible for a Justice to be liberal or moderate on Roe but Conservative on other things. The pro-choice Justices Souter, Breyer, and O'Connor all disliked Employment Division v. Smith for example. A Justice can be pro-choice but pro-religion. Or liberal on social issues, but conservative on federalism issues or the administrative state. Indeed, a strong civil libertarian and populist tilt could foster such weirdness (like Justice Douglas, who despite being the most liberal Justice ever would probably be considered weirdly conservative on some issues today given his views on individual religious rights, the administrative state, and the Tenth Amendment). A democratic appointee who votes for a Casey-like narrowing of Roe for example. But I can't think of anybody like that either.

Last edited:
Sorry to double post, but here is an interesting POD separate from what the previous post was about: what if Clinton appoints somebody more liberal instead of Justice Breyer?

Clinton OTL in 1993 mentioned a desire to strengthen the emergent centrist bloc of O'Connor, Kennedy, and Souter in replacing Byron White. Ruth Bader Ginsburg probably didn't do this very well, but Stephen Breyer was very good at this.

I think it would be fair to say the Court from 1994 to 2018 consistently had a four-Justice core at the center of it. Two center-left (Breyer, Souter, Kagan) and two center-right (O'Connor, Kennedy, Roberts) with various 6-3 and 7-2 decisions coming out based on the four middle Justices brokering deals. Roberts was certainly more conservative than O'Connor, and I cannot think of Kagan ever playing the role of swing Justice herself (though she's been the sixth or seventh vote, and has been effective at brokering compromises) - unlike Breyer or Souter - but the trend was a pretty consistent one.

Cases like Stenberg v. Carhart and Grutter v. Bollinger might have gone the other way if Breyer wasn't there to focus on factual specificity in a way that appealed to O'Connor. Breyer was mentioned in Jeffrey Toobin's book as the one who swayed O'Connor into being the fifth vote on very narrow grounds in Stenberg (which made all the difference in Gonzales v Carhart several years later).

Even OTL 5-4 decisions could be more conservative. Take Bush v. Gore for example. The Constitutional question was a 7-2 (Breyer and Souter plus the right of center judges) and the 5-4 (assuming there still is one) could be based on reasoning more like Rehnquist's.

On the other hand, it's possible for a Justice to be liberal or moderate on Roe but Conservative on other things. The pro-choice Justices Souter, Breyer, and O'Connor all disliked Employment Division v. Smith for example. A Justice can be pro-choice but pro-religion.
In Employment v. Smith, it was actually 3 of the 4 liberal Justices who dissented, though, while Scalia wrote the majority opinion.

In Employment v. Smith, it was actually 3 of the 4 liberal Justices who dissented, though, while Scalia wrote the majority opinion.

Are you referring to Stevens or to White as the fourth liberal?

O'Connor concurred in the judgement but dissented on the bigger question of how to analyze religious claims. She later said that she believed Smith ought to have been overruled in Church of Lukumi (1992) and City of Boerne v. Flores (1997). Her Flores opinion was joined by Breyer. Breyer also joined the criticism of Smith by Justice Barrett in Fulton v. City of Philadelphia (2021).

I am refering to Stevens as the fourth liberal. BTW, it's interesting how Stevens was considered the most moderate liberal Justice in the 80s but would later be considered the most liberal Justice in the 90s.

Some of the issues that made him moderate were issues like speech (restrictive) and religion (against individual religious protections) which were conservative positions historically but later on put him on the liberal side (in the case of religion) or became ideologically neutral (like speech).

Plus, compared to Brennan or Marshall, he was pretty moderate.

What if Roe had been decided in 1972 and not 1973?

The Supreme Court first heard oral argument on Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton in 1972, and voted 5 to 2 to strike down the abortion laws of Texas and Georgia. The lead case was initially supposed to be Doe v. Bolton.

In Doe v. Bolton, Blackmun would have recognized that the the right of privacy extends to abortion, but the state's compelling interests in the woman's health and potential life start at conception (ergo, general bans of abortion for non-therapeutic reasons would be allowed so long as necessary exceptions were included). He'd have struck down a hospital certification requirement, a two-doctor concurrence requirement (meaning plus the first doctor) and hospital review board (three more doctors) requirement as irrational and not on fundamental rights grounds (something the OTL Doe v. Bolton opinion did). A requirement that abortions be performed in hospitals (struck down in OTL's Doe on Trimester regime grounds) was upheld in the first draft. The court upheld the law against a vagueness challenge because it allowed for abortions in the case of life and health (health defined broadly to include mental health, incest, rape, and minority it seems - in accordance with the statutory interpretation of United States v. Vuitch the year prior).

Roe v. Wade would have struck down Texas's abortion ban as unconstitutionally vague on the grounds that it did not contain an exception for health. The opinion would have referred to the dissenting opinions of Douglas and Stewart in Vuitch - that so long as a doctor's judgment is in good faith, their determination of necessity was essentially non-reviewable.

Burger sought to rehear oral argument because he thought the quality of the lawyering was crummy (it was) and possibly because he wanted to stall for time in order to either flip a moderate (Blackmun or Stewart) or he thought the new Justices joining the bench (Powell and Rehnquist) would vote in favor of the abortion law or narrow the scope of the opinion. Ironically the opposite happened: Powell was the one who pushed for the Viability rule OTL.

So what if Roe and Doe had been decided in 1972? The focus of the opinions would have been on the doctor-patient aspect rather than reproductive autonomy. It would have left when to draw the line as a matter of general right and convenience to state decisionmaking (although it is plenty possible the Court would take up that question in a different case later).

The headlines wouldn't say the Court granted abortion on demand, and I suspect Blackmun may not drift left as the Roe reaction would be much more muted than OTL (no endless letters from pro-lifers and catholic students; and no sense of insecurity produced by the hostility to the opinion which leads to his seeking comfort with the other pro-Roe forces on the Court).

Powell was pretty pro-choice OTL, but later said the abortion cases were the worst he ever joined. He went with his gut, as he had no understanding of modern Constitutional law when appointed (he was head of the Bar Association and more knowledgeable than any of his colleagues on business, contract, and tort cases - but constitutional law and theory were not areas he'd ever focused upon). He was a big supporter of adhering to precedent though, and thus never walked them back. Odds are Powell would vote in pro-choice ways, but not to the extent as OTL.

There likely would continue to be cases on the subject of abortion. Even if the Court says states can draw the line where they see fit, there would be other challenges on the procedures which can be used, informed consent laws, parental notice, public funding, public reporting requirements, etc. But they'd probably be viewed as lower stakes.

Also - Roe being decided before the 1972 election could be an issue. It would still constitute the Court striking down the abortion laws in more than half the country. Assuming it's published the first week of June in 1972, that could really shake up the Democratic primary and be an issue in the election. California, New Jersey, New Mexico, South Dakota, and New York all were yet to select their delegates or have their primaries. That's 554 of 3,014 delegates total. McGovern went into the 1972 convention with 1,378.9 (1,509 needed to win) and 528 of those delegates came from the states what voted in June OTL. California (271 delegates) was a winner take all state and McGovern only won by 5%, so perhaps that's enough to stop McGovern. But who is picked instead at convention would be an interesting question.

What if Roe had been decided in 1972 and not 1973?

The Supreme Court first heard oral argument on Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton in 1972, and voted 5 to 2 to strike down the abortion laws of Texas and Georgia. The lead case was initially supposed to be Doe v. Bolton.

1972: The landmark case of Doe v. Bolton recognizes by a 6 to 1 vote that the privacy principal of Griswold v. Connecticut applies to a woman's right to choose an abortion so as to preserve her own life or health. The Court declares it is incapable of determining when life begins for purposes of bans, but the regulations which "unduly burden" the decision between woman and doctor, or place the decision in the hands of another, are deemed unconstitutional. Requirements that abortions only be performed in JCAH-approved hospitals is struck down as irrational. Requirements that an additional two-doctor concurrence and that an additional three-doctor board approval are deemed invalid as assigning the decision away from the woman and her doctor, whom law effectively delegates the question of necessity to. A residency requirement was struck down on separate grounds (no discrimination against out of state residents). Requirements that abortions be performed in hospitals and by licensed doctors were upheld. The statute was upheld against a vagueness challenge on the grounds that it gave sufficient deference to the doctor, and that when coupled with it being the prosecution's burden to demonstrate a lack of necessity beyond a reasonable doubt and a good faith requirement, was valid. The Court emphasized that malpractice liability and intra-professional regulation were sufficient means of regulating doctor behavior.
  • Chief Justice Burger concurred in part, stating that he believed the two-doctor concurrence requirement was not unduly burdensome. He emphasized the holding only applied to so-called "therapeutic abortions," for purposes of life, health, incest, rape, and so forth.
  • Justice Brennan concurred, if only to note that the question of when life began was an issue not settled by the Court's decision and depended upon then-present understandings of law. He contended that when the state's interest in life became compelling was yet to be decided. He also felt the hospital requirement was unconstitutional, as other clinics could be equally capable.
  • Justice Douglas concurred, but argued that the the state's interest prior to the common law point of quickening (between 16 and 18 weeks) was not compelling. He also contended the opinion should have allowed for abortion for nontherapeutic reasons as well.
  • Justices White dissented. White agreed that the majority's opinion did not go beyond life and health, but questioned the degree of deference given. His disagreement was otherwise narrow - stating that the opinion had been based on matters not clearly in the record of the lower court.

1972: The case of Roe v. Wade, the less mentioned companion case to Doe v. Bolton, strikes down a Texas abortion law on the grounds that it was unconstitutionally vague, as it only included an exception for life. The decision was 6 to 1. The Court explained that medical decisionmaking is inherently vague, and that while doctors are trained to make decisions based upon life and health, a life exception alone gave insufficient discretion to avoid liability. Absent sufficient discretion, the incentives of doctors (criminal penalty and loss of professional license) would be to sever to avoid a "chilling" of the doctor's decision making in such a way that conflicts with their duty to prioritize the patient. A majority of the country's abortion laws were struck down in the process. Blackmun pointed to the opinions of Justices Stewart and Douglas the year prior in United States v. Vuitch, which indicated that good faith and objectively reasonable determinations of necessity by doctors were criminally immune from prosecution.
  • Chief Justice Burger, joined by Justice Stewart, concurred, but emphasized additionally that at oral argument Texas already conceded it had a longstanding unofficial policy of not enforcing its law in cases of rape or incest.
  • Justice White dissented, contending the Court had implicitly overruled the opinion of US v. Vuitch from the year prior. He questioned how a law could be be not-vague if it included life or health, but a narrower statute could be vague.
  • Justice Douglas concurred, joined by Brennan and Marshall. Pointing to the case of Papachristou v. Jacksonville, decided that same term, he emphasized that long-tolerated conduct viewed as harmless should be subject to more stringent vagueness analysis.

1972 Election: The Doe and Roe decisions came out at the beginning of the June, transforming the Democratic primary. McGovern's lead dampened in the crucial winner-take-all California primary, delivering the delegates to Hubert Humphrey. McGovern's lead in New Mexico dampened as well, delivering the state to George Wallace. While McGovern entered the Democratic Convention with a strong lead over other contenders - 1,105.9 of the 1,509 needed to be nominee (Humphrey, the second place contender, had 657.3), it was insufficient to win on at convention. Despite lesser fellow-progressive candidates delivering support to McGovern, McGovern would only have 1,456 votes on the first ballot. "Anybody but McGovern" forces would proceed to rally around Henry "Scoop" Jackson, whose name had been put forward by the leader of the Anybody-but-McGovern forces Jimmy Carter.

The Democratic Convention would nominate Henry Jackson as nominee and Jimmy Carter as Vice Presidential nominee. Jackson's speech emphasized that the Democratic Party was not the party of "Acid, Amnesty, and Abortion." The speech was interpreted as a dig at McGovern, but also energized pro-life voters shocked that Richard Nixon's two judicial nominees had delivered the Doe and Roe opinions. Vice President nominee Carter discussed the need to dissuade abortions through family support and assistance to single mothers.

Significant chunks of the Nixon coalition would defect in 1972 back to the Democratic Party. Jackson's anti-bussing stance and perceived law-and-order disposition, modest anti-Nixon blowback from the Doe decision, and more traditional labor and foreign policy positions, coupled with the appeal of the young Jimmy Carter to the emergent evangelical movement and southerners who had been put off in recent years but the Democratic party, delivered the White House to the Democrats in 1972. Jackson also gained the support of many women by indicating his preference to put a woman on the Supreme Court, though he made no firm commitments.

1973: The case of Abele v. Markle reaches the United States Supreme Court. The lower court had struck down provisions of Connecticut's abortion law on the grounds that it was so old and there was so little a record on why it was passed that it was not possible to adjudicate its reasonableness. The Supreme Court upheld the decision on a 6-3 basis, but emphasized the highly narrow scope therein. The majority cited language from Jefferson: "I set out on this ground, which I suppose to be self evident, ‘that the earth belongs in usufruct to the living’: that the dead have neither powers nor rights over it. The portion occupied by any individual ceases to be his when himself ceases to be, and reverts to the society. [...] What is true of every member of the society individually, is true of them all collectively, since the rights of the whole can be no more than the sum of the rights of the individuals." The Court further cited - to the frustration of the dissenters - the concurring opinions of Douglas and Burger in Doe v. Bolton for an increased skepticism of
  • Justices Burger, White, and Rehnquist dissented - arguing that it was an invitation to judicial activism and absurd that an identical law could be passed a year later.
  • NOTE: OTL this case influenced the viability rule of Roe. Here, it gets reviewed on different grounds.
  • Eventually, the "ancient laws' doctrine would bubble up into the constitutional defense of Desuetude - that long unenforced laws may not be constitutionally enforced if individuals would otherwise have no reason to know they existed.
1973: The case of Struck v. Secretary of Defense. The Supreme Court by a unanimous vote held that the military's discharge of a woman for refusing to seek an abortion was unconstitutional discrimination on the basis of sex, since men who were out of commission for similar periods of time because of bodily limitation (i.e., injury) were not discharged. Attorney Ruth Bader Ginsburg gained much prominence for this.

1974: The case of Geduldig v. Aiello. The Supreme Court by a 7-2 vote held that denial of insurance benefits for work loss resulting from pregnancy was discrimination on the basis of sex. The majority held that it was impossible to draw a distinction between Geduldig's case and Struck's. Justices Burger and Rehnquist dissented.

1974: Justice William O Douglas retires from the bench. President Jackson nominated District Court Judge Frank M Johnson to replace Douglas. Johnson proved a moderate on the bench who would continue the cause of integration, but with a softer tone that emphasized an awareness of the myriad and unexpected issues that could arise when the Courts assume administrative roles. (See this paper, for example). He would adhere to the Milliken v. Bradley principle, but proved a decisive vote in the cases involving the fate of black southern teachers who lost their jobs as school districts were consolidated.

Court Breakdown
2 Conservatives (Burger, Rehnquist)
5 Moderates (Stewart, White, Blackmun, Powell, Johnson)
2 Liberals (Brennan, Marshall)

1975: In Bigelow v. Virginia, the Court held by a 7 to 2 vote that states cannot prohibit advertising of services legal in other states, even if illegal in the state in question. Nor could states criminalize their citizens for seeking such services in other states or punish their own citizens for aiding or abetting others. In this case, it was advertising about the availability of abortions in New York by a Virginia newspaper.

1976: In Danforth v. Planned Parenthood, the Court struck down a state prohibition on the use of saline amnioscentesis as an abortion method due to it being the preferred method by doctors. The Court further struck down a spousal-consent requirement as inappropriately putting the right of decision in the hands of a person other than a woman or her doctor. Parental consent requirements were upheld, so long as the prospect of a judicial bypass in an emergency circumstance was available based upon longstanding principles of Courts acting 'in loco parentis.' The Court would later extend the spousal principal to spousal notification requirements, under the assumption that the only women who would not otherwise be informing their husbands would be those who would be afraid to.

1976: President Jackson defeats California Governor Ronald Reagan.

1977: In Carey v. Population Services International, the Court announced a right to sell contraceptives to adult women and mature minors, even without a prescription, so long as it was by a licensed pharmacist. Pharmacists likewise had a right to advertise such services.

1977: The case of Maher v. Roe. The Supreme Court held that public funding of natural childbirth but not nontherapeutic abortion was not an Equal Protection violation. However, the Court held that failing to fund therapeutic abortions was both an Equal Protection violation and an undue burden on the privacy interest. Failure to fund contraceptive access would likewise constitute a violation of Carey.

1977: The case of Whalen v. Roe. The Court holds that Doe v. Bolton applies to doctor-patient decisionmaking generally. The necessity of prescription drugs cannot be a determination vetoed by somebody other than a patient or their doctor. Exception to this principle would later be made in the circumstances where an individual was in the custody or guardianship of another (such as the comatose, minors, the committed, feeble-minded, senile, etc.). Whalen would later be extended as a general First and Fourth Amendment privacy right: that all formalized government obligations of people to submit information to the government are only allowed to the extent that they are for a legitimate public purpose, acquire no more information than necessary, is not publicized, and is kept within the agency which seeks the information and not shared with other agencies.

1979: The case of Colautti v. Franklin. The Court holds by a 5 to 4 majority that procedural due process requires states to abide by the common law "quickening" privilege that women may not be made to testify against their doctors for abortions performed prior to the point of "quickening" (roughly 16 to 18 weeks). This amounted to making criminal review of abortion decisions all the more difficult in early and mid pregnancy.

1980: Vice President Jimmy Carter defeats George H.W. Bush.

1981: Potter Stewart retires, and is replaced by moderate liberal Georgia Judge Phyllis Kravitch. Carter would face criticism for his perceived Georgia favoritism, as many liberals had hoped for the nomination of Shirley Hufstedler of the Ninth Circuit.

Court Breakdown
4 Moderates (White, Blackmun, Powell, Johnson)
3 Liberals (Brennan, Marshall, Kravitch)

1983: The case of Akron v. Akron Center for Reproductive Health. The Court holds that a 24-hour waiting period is unconstitutional.

1984: Jimmy Carter defeats Bob Dole for reelection.

1985: The case of Bowers v. Hardwick. The Courts holds by a 6-3 vote that the right of privacy extends to consensual sexual conduct between consenting adults. The lawful authority of government - the police power - is premised upon the public interest. There is no public interest in what consenting adults do behind close doors - homosexual, heterosexual, or otherwise.

1985: Justice Thurgood Marshall retires. He is replaced by Judge A Leon Higginbotham.

Court Breakdown
3 Liberals (Brennan, Kravitch, Higginbotham)

1986: The case of Thornburgh v. American College of Obstetricians. The Court holds that state informed consent requirements which oblige a doctor to inform a woman of public benefits available to support her, paternity support, and observed emotional consequences of abortion procedures are constitutional even if the purpose is to strongly influence the decision, so long as the doctor is not prohibited from making any other statements to the patient that may run contrary to the public goal to persuade and the information presented is not 'patently false.'

1986: Justice William J Brennan retires. He is replaced by Judge Stephen Breyer.

Court Breakdown
3 Liberals (Kravitch, Higginbotham, Breyer)

1987: Justice Byron White retires. He is replaced by Judge Jose Cabranes.

Court Breakdown
4 Moderates (Blackmun, Powell, Johnson, Cabranes)

1988: Jack Kemp elected President.

1989: Chief Justice Warren Burger retires. He is replaced by Senator Orrin Hatch.

2 Conservatives (Hatch, Rehnquist)
4 Moderates (Blackmun, Powell, Johnson, Cabranes)

1990: Justice Lewis Powell retires. He is replaced by Solicitor General Antonin Scalia.

3 Conservatives (Hatch, Rehnquist, Scalia)
3 Moderates (Blackmun, Johnson, Cabranes)

1991: The case of Rust v. Sullivan. The Court holds that conditioning Medicare or Medicaid funds on a doctors not discussing the issue of abortion violates Doe v. Bolton and the First Amendment. The Court would later extend this principle to a general right of doctors to communicate true information with patients so long as their statements did not constitute malpractice, relying upon Doe and Justice Douglas's dissent in Poe v. Ullman.

1991: Justice Frank M Johnson retires. He is replaced by Texas Judge Edith Jones.

4 Conservatives (Hatch, Rehnquist, Scalia, Jones)
2 Moderates (Blackmun, Cabranes)

1993: Judge Leon Higginbotham announces his retirement on the basis of a certified disability. Kemp, faced with a majority Democratic Senate, nominates moderate Second Circuit Judge Amalya Kearse as a replacement.

3 Moderates (Blackmun, Cabranes, Kearse)
2 Liberals (Kravitch, Breyer)

1994: Justice Harry Blackmun retires. He is replaced by Douglas H Ginsburg, a Harvard Law Professor elevated to being Judge of the First Circuit nominated upon the vacancy created by Stephen Breyer. Viewed as a socially moderate choice on the basis of his wife being a practitioner of abortion procedures and his having been a clerk for Thurgood Marshall. Ginsburg would prove more libertarian than conservative on the bench. A controversy erupted when it was discovered Ginsburg had smoked marijuana with some of his students, but given the Carter administrative had decriminalized the substance in years prior, it was viewed as non-disqualifying. Ginsburg's libertarian streak resulted in his being considered in a class of his own.

1 Libertarian (Ginsburg)
2 Moderates (Cabranes, Kearse)
2 Liberals (Kravitch, Breyer)

Blackmun throughout his career remained a centrist in the mold of Lewis Powell or Potter Stewart, rather than drifting left over time. He would be proud, but less defensive, of his Doe opinion, but the abortion issue would not become a much a partisan fight over time as a great many Catholic culturally conservative Democrats remain in the party. Some issues - like Federalism and economic matters - he would remain more conservative on. Others - like environmentalism - were ones he had a liberal streak on from the beginning (Douglas, who loathed Blackmun initially, started to like him because they were the two dissenters in an environmental case), and issues of reproductive autonomy, privacy, and so forth would be ones where he would still be moderately liberal I assume. Without the defensiveness over Roe, he likely doesn't have an issue retiring under a GOP President.

The "Kemp Revolution" produced a Conservative Majority Court, but also one somewhat uninterested drastically reshaping American law as the Burger Court had done far less to begin with. Ironically, members of the Hatch Court - like Scalia and Ginsburg - would adopt fairly liberal positions in Criminal procedure cases and could (depending on the issue) be understood as to the left of Blackmun, Powell, White, or Breyer on such matters.

EDIT: I swapped Cornelia Kennedy for Frank Johnson, and Frank Johnson for Phyllis Kravitch.
EDIT 2: I swapped Clifford Wallace for Orrin Hatch.

Without the Reagan Administration, I doubt Clarence Thomas is ever made a Court of Appeals Judge, let alone a Supreme Court Judge. Thomas got on the HW Bush Administration's radar because of Thomas being at EEOC. Nor could Emilio Garza be elevated, since he was first made a District Court Judge in 1988. Amalya Kearse is thus the natural choice for the Conservative Kemp Administration to pick.

Breyer was well liked by the Carter Administration and Judiciary Committee, and I suppose Carter would elevate him just because of that. He'd need to mend ties with the liberal wing of the party like Ted Kennedy (for whom Breyer worked for).

Last edited:
What if Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr. had not retired in 1987 and only retired in 1989 following George H.W. Bush's election? Who would George H.W. Bush have nominated to succeed him? I think Robert Bork would be considered too old by then.

Last edited:
What if Justice Lewis F. Powell, Jr. had not retired in 1987 and only retired in 1989 following George H.W. Bush's election? Who would George H.W. Bush have nominated to succeed him? I think Robert Bork would be considered too old by then.

No Bork fight means HW doesn't try for a stealth candidate. Clarence Thomas wouldn't be an option since he replaced Bork in 1990. Emilio Garza may go straight from the District Court to the Supreme Court, but it seems unlikely. Souter was on the Reagan lists too, but without the desire for a stealth candidate he won't be viewed as favorably.

Edith Jones (40 years old and a Federal Judge since April 1985)
Lawrence Silberman (54 years old and a Federal Judge since October 1985)
Douglas H Ginsburg 43 years old and a Federal Judge since October 1986)
Ken Starr 43 years old and a Federal Judge since October 1983)

Ginsburg might flop like historically, although Clarence Thomas's marijuana use seems to not have derailed his confirmation in 1990. A big fear about Ginsburg was he'd only been on the bench for a year, and people didn't know how much of a libertarian he'd be (crime, right to privacy, etc.).

I sort of wonder how long Jones would last on the Supreme Court. I don't think it's implausible she'd say something stupid publicly and get pressured off of the bench.

Last edited:
No Bork fight means HW doesn't try for a stealth candidate. Clarence Thomas wouldn't be an option since he replaced Bork in 1990. Emilio Garza may go straight from the District Court to the Supreme Court, but it seems unlikely. Souter was on the Reagan lists too, but without the desire for a stealth candidate he won't be viewed as favorably.

Edith Jones (40 years old and a Federal Judge since April 1985)
Lawrence Silberman (54 years old and a Federal Judge since October 1985)
Douglas H Ginsburg 43 years old and a Federal Judge since October 1986)
Ken Starr 43 years old and a Federal Judge since October 1983)

Ginsburg might flop like historically, although Clarence Thomas's marijuana use seems to not have derailed his confirmation in 1990. A big fear about Ginsburg was he'd only been on the bench for a year, and people didn't know how much of a libertarian he'd be (crime, right to privacy, etc.).

I sort of wonder how long Jones would last on the Supreme Court. I don't think it's implausible she'd say something stupid publicly and get pressured off of the bench.
Thanks for the reply.
Could you, please, fix "reelection" for "election" in the quote like I did in my reply?

It's not too old for any possibility of nomination, but it would certainly be seen as a negative against him, just as indeed it was IOTL when Scalia was nominated.

I actually think Bork is entirely possible here, but what I don't think would happen is a headlong rush to nominate him with no serious discussion, and with Meese's guys with their hands down their pants, as happened IOTL. That's not how the IOTL Bush nominations were handled, which was a much more competitive and open process.

And I hope we're not going to fall for the post-1900 fantasy of George Bush Moderate in any discussion about this.

IOTL George Bush Moderate came within a hair of nominating both Clarence Thomas and Edith Jones. Why? Because the guy felt he had an acute need to merge himself into the Reagan phenomenon and, in so far as possible, not allow a cigaretto paper to be opened up between himself and the right.

Nominating one of the intellectual godfathers of the right very much makes sense as part of that view. Indeed, I can see a view in the minds of the likes of Thornburgh (who let us not forget had certain ambitions) that they kind of have to nominate Bork.

And I don't think the right-wing alternatives to Bork in '89 are particularly strong.

It's quite possible Souter (even as still a NH supreme court justice) ends up as the Kennedy for this Bork nomination.

Last edited:
Back