• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate Quotes

"Once more on to the beach, dear friends, once more"
Henry V of England, leading his army on to the Normandy beaches in 1417 to start the second phase of his war in France.

"A little learning is a dangerous thing"
Joseph Goebbels, supervising the first official Nazi book burning outside the Reichstag, 1933

Last edited:
Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Martin Luther on the crowded 07:32 train service from Woking to Waterloo.

Houston. We have a problem.
Final message sent by Davy Crockett before the Battle of the Alamo

Brilliant.

Woking deserves a series of alternate histories itself. Not only the site of the first mosque in Britain (still standing and beautiful) and an abortive Oriental Studies institute, the birth place of Derek Griffiths and Paul Weller, but features in both 'The War of the Worlds' and 'The Adventure of the Naval Treaty'; where the Duke of York had a pizza, and for many years the location of a multi-storey car park for left-hand drive cars; now with the largest municipal debt for that size of borough. Old Woking was the location of a favourite palace of Henry VIII.

I remember this used to be a mainstay of 1970s schoolboy humour books, along with the punny-named authors ("Skydiving for Beginners, by Hugo Furst") and the bad French or Latin translations (Je ne comprends pas = "I cannot understand my father"; In loco parentis = "My dad's an engine driver")

I remember this used to be a mainstay of 1970s schoolboy humour books, along with the punny-named authors ("Skydiving for Beginners, by Hugo Furst") and the bad French or Latin translations (Je ne comprends pas = "I cannot understand my father"; In loco parentis = "My dad's an engine driver")

Sic transit gloria mundi = cool van Gloria Mundi.

The only thing better than this is finding out Carmina Burana is essentially a comedic piss-take of religious Cantatas.

In the last years of his life, there was a fashion for attributing not merely wrong, but random quotes to RGM. In which spirit I offer this actual, but dislodged quotation

So Blair, keep your England, and I will keep my Zimbabwe ,
Zimbabwean coach, RG Mugabe, in a secretly recorded conversation with England coach, A Blair, presented at the latter's ICC enquiry. Mugabe himself refused to testify, saying that "a gentleman does not repeat private conversations", but the tape, together with testimony from an Afgani player who had actually accepted Blair's monet, sealed the English coaches fate.

Back