• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate outcomes to the 1925 German presidential election?

varyar

giver of existential dread
Patreon supporter
Published by SLP
I don't know much about Weimar politics, I admit, but it seems like 1925 is ripe with AH potential - what if the BVP backs the Zentrum's Wilhelm Marx instead of Hindenburg? What if the KPD's Thälmann drops out after the first round? (I guess either POD leads to the same result, doesn't it?) What would the consequences of Marx becoming president be? Could it butterfly away the rise of the Nazis or, perhaps, any far right party?

Alternatively, were there any realistic outcomes besides Marx and Hindenburg? Could Jarres or Braun have put together winning coalitions?

I don't know much about Weimar politics, I admit, but it seems like 1925 is ripe with AH potential - what if the BVP backs the Zentrum's Wilhelm Marx instead of Hindenburg? What if the KPD's Thälmann drops out after the first round? (I guess either POD leads to the same result, doesn't it?) What would the consequences of Marx becoming president be? Could it butterfly away the rise of the Nazis or, perhaps, any far right party?

Alternatively, were there any realistic outcomes besides Marx and Hindenburg? Could Jarres or Braun have put together winning coalitions?

Both of those points of divergence could lead to a Marx victory. Marx would definitely not have appointed Hitler chancellor. As for Jarres or Braun, if even the prestigious Hindenburg nearly lost, I don't see how Jarres or any other right-wing candidate could have won. On the other hand, if the Christian Democrat Marx couldn't beat Hindenburg, I don't see how the Social Democracies Braun could.

Back