• Hi Guest!

The costs of running this forum are covered by Sea Lion Press. If you'd like to help support the company and the forum, visit patreon.com/sealionpress

Alternate History in Star Trek Part 27: TNG Spinoffs of the Movie Era

People really, really wanted to pull off a Starfleet Academy, eh?
I didn't even get a chance to talk about all the young adult books which did this with the younger years of the main TNG cast.

Spoiler for current series of Picard:
Mind you, all the literally thousands of authors who wanted to bring Ro Laren back finally got their wish (well, sort of) so who knows what might happen in the future.

This series is going on hiatus after this one as I want to refocus on AH-related articles for a while, and although this series was meant to be AH-focused it eventually became more of a general review of the entire franchise.

Also thanks for adding the links Gary.
I've been enjoying these from the perspective of finding out about works I never experienced or had never actually heard of previously.

On the Marvel crossovers, had never considered before how well X-Men seems to gel with TNG. Specifically TNG, seems like TOS should have crossed over with Fantastic Four instead.

I've been enjoying these from the perspective of finding out about works I never experienced or had never actually heard of previously.

On the Marvel crossovers, had never considered before how well X-Men seems to gel with TNG. Specifically TNG, seems like TOS should have crossed over with Fantastic Four instead.
Thank you for saying so and I will get back to them evdentually. Yes, at first I thought TNG/X-Men seemed bizarre but it works surprisingly well.

Seconding this. One of the joys of reading these articles @Thande has been that sense of discovery and, sometimes, rediscovery of titles I was aware of but had never actually read. Or, in the case of the TNG/X-Men crossover, that I'd bought as part of the monthly Trek eBook deals but (still) haven't gotten around to reading yet.

I look forward to when the series come back from hiatus as you've still got my second (well, thanks to Strange New Worlds, possibly now third) favorite Trek series to cover: the (somewhat fairly) much maligned Enterprise. But I accept it'll be a long road getting from there to here...

Here in the US, Simon & Schuster pick ten or so Trek eBook titles to put at 99 cents (basically a dollar plus applicable taxes) on the major retailers each month. Sometimes they’re themed months such as March’s titles being DS9 and female character centric. They even toss in the odd newer title in with the back catalog, which has been helpful given how much physical editions of some titles go for second hand these days.

Not sure if there’s a UK or international equivalent, which could be down to rights issues or different publishers.

Here in the US, Simon & Schuster pick ten or so Trek eBook titles to put at 99 cents (basically a dollar plus applicable taxes) on the major retailers each month. Sometimes they’re themed months such as March’s titles being DS9 and female character centric. They even toss in the odd newer title in with the back catalog, which has been helpful given how much physical editions of some titles go for second hand these days.

Not sure if there’s a UK or international equivalent, which could be down to rights issues or different publishers.
I will look into it, but I remember Simon & Schuster Star Trek writing competitions etc. being the source of a lot of my complaints about 'only available in the US' attitudes in the 90s, so I am not optimistic ;)

Back